Request Link: Make arrows more useful

Discussion in 'Features' started by Frozsoul, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

From what I can tell, the only time Link's arrows are useful are providing a limited quantity projectile attack until the red ring is collected. However, once Link has the red ring there's really no reason to continue using arrows. I propose improving arrows so they are still a weapon to consider once you have the red ring. The best improvement I can think of is to make them armor-piercing like Link's bombs so they are able to injure spike tops. Some other ideas to improve them that admittedly wouldn't be faithful to the original game include:
    • Make them "stick" once they come in contact with enemies, walls, pipes and platforms so they can be either:
      • Used as a mini platform, possibly only available for a limited time and then they disappear, or
      • Recollected once touched
    • Make them able to pierce through multiple enemies and bricks with one shot, similar to Mega Man's Metal Blade attack
    • Make them slow down enemies that are struck by it
    • Make Link able to shoot more than one arrow at a time
    Anyone else have ideas?

Rey D likes this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I definitely think the arrows need improvement, but unfortunately I'm not sure if any of your ideas are feasible. It doesn't seem like Jay would make changes based on things that aren't in the original games. Maybe shooting more than one arrow at a time is reasonable, though. Also, I don't think the arrows have ever been armor-piercing. It would seem the only real change Jay could make that would be faithful to the original games would just be to make them do more damage. As it is, though, they do decent damage as projectiles, and they are stronger than the sword beams.

Are there any other properties of arrows from the whole series that we might be missing?

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

This is probably the best idea.
    That or just increasing their power. I don't remember how powerful they were in the original LoZ, but in the series in general they're usually pretty powerful weapons.

4. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Make it deals higher damage, that's all.

5. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

Heh..
    I agree with the platform idea, that sounds really cool.

6. sbq92

It would be neat, but a) it's not in the original series, and b) it would be fairly useless because Link has a high enough jump anyway.

TheomanZero likes this.
  7. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Like the Star Arrow in MM5?

8. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Not useful enough? I don't know I always found it great against strong enemies. I mean the sword beam is too slow to use kill strong enemies as it takes forever and you have limited time after all. For me sword beam is just a extra little punch to my attacks good to hit far away things like blocks without need of ammo.
    But oh well if we really need to make it more useful then why not just make it remain even after you get hit?(You could maybe loose it if you die example) That way it could be a long range weapon you can always count on.

Rey D likes this.
  9. BassWins

BassWins Level 6: Lakitu

IIRC the power of the arrows was the same as the level 2 sword(AKA the white sword).

10. TheomanZero

ThomasMink and Frozsoul like this.
  11. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

12. TheomanZero

Actually, another way to improve the Bow would be to implement Silver Arrows . . . which gives me another idea that I'll post in the appropriate thread.

13. sbq92

I wonder if Jay intentionally made the Sword Beams weaker than they're supposed to be because he wanted to actually make the Arrows useful. Sure, they still aren't overly useful (as this thread's existence shows), but they are still potentially more useful than the Sword Beams because they are stronger.

Rey D likes this.
  14. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

That's irrelevant on the easier modes though, where next to everything dies in one hit.

15. sbq92

True, but isn't Normal difficulty the standard? No matter what you do with any weapon's strength, it's irrelevant on the easier modes.

ThomasMink likes this.
  16. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

It is, yes, but I play on the easier ones, very specifically because the bricks are easy to break. If they broke in one hit on any difficulty, I'd play on the harder ones all the time.