Considering Link: Shield blocks hammers

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Self explanatory. The large shield would block a larger area. Whenever you use a weapon you are vulnerable.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I agree on this one. That shield should be good for something.

On a somewhat related note, I also think it would be nice if Proto Man were to be made a separate character with a couple of minor adjustments, namely this same shield function, as well as farther knockback.

Scorpion42 and Mitewing like this.
  3. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

No, we really do not need a third Mega Man clone.

uglyrodent, ThomasMink and sbq92 like this.
  4. sbq92

Fair enough. If those things can be implemented on his skin, then that would probably be a preferable option anyway.

5. Mitewing

Request it as a feature! That's what all the cool kids are doing!

6. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

That's an idea I could get behind!

Get it? Because it's a shield!.. and you like.. stand behind it.. for protection.. and stuff..

Mitewing and sbq92 like this.
  7. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, it blocked things in the original game, so why not? Maybe you could get the Magic Shield with the Blue Ring or something.

8. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Exactly what I was thinking.

9. 1337star

1337star Level 2: Koopa

One problem is that, as of right now, the Game Boy Link skins do not have a shield on the sprite (or, at least, the ones on the wiki don't. Don't feel like checking the game this late at night). Of course, adding one wouldn't be that hard.

10. Mitewing

He could get the Magic shield with the mushroom. I'm fine with that.

11. Mitewing

I have two issues worth bumping.

1. Bullet Bill. Should he be treated like an enemy or projectile? I think he should be able to block him but it knocks him back as if he's actually hurt.
    2. Link's flip jump. This may make trying to block things difficult. Discuss.

sbq92 likes this.
  12. sbq92

These are both very good points, especially the second one. Link's flip jump definitely interferes with shield usage, especially since most projectiles he would be blocked are found in the air. It is probably worth noting that the only true projectiles in the games are the hammers thrown by the Hammer Bros. and by the Bowsers in Worlds 6-8, and Bowser's fire. The Bullet Bills are typically treated as enemies rather than projectiles, and I would suggest they continue to be treated as such (I guess that answers the first question). Considering the angle for blocking thrown hammers, blocking them on the ground would be very difficult. Blocking Bowser's fire could work, though it would only work on the ground because of the flip jump. I suppose that's okay, though, considering Link is short enough to not need to dodge the two upper flames anyway.

All that being said, though, the flip jump definitely interferes drastically with the shield's ability to block projectiles, and therefore the "worthwhileness" of incorporating this feature. It wouldn't be useless, but it would just not be as useful as it seems it would be.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  13. Mitewing

Unless the flip jump is removed... Is it even canonical? Link's shield should work because it does in LoZ and it will help him being a melee character since Ryu and Simon will be getting the ability to destroy projectiles.

14. sbq92

The flip jump is canonical. It is based on the Link's Awakening jump, as he does indeed flip jump in that game, but I'm also quite certain he flip jumps in most of the games in which he can jump (aside from Zelda II, in which case he jumps normally). I'm guessing that's why Jay had him flip, because that's normally how he does jump when he can.

TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.
  15. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

In games with the Roc's Cape, Link does a somersault jump. This means Four Swords and Minish Cap and more.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Zarran

Zarran Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

You could make it to where you switch to the shield the same way you do the bombs and arrows, and when you have the shield equipped Link doesn't flip.

17. ThomasMink

Depending on how the shield is gotten, just the simple act of receiving the shield from a powerup (or whatever) could cause Link to stop flipping and better protect himself in the air.

18. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Or he could hold the shield in front of him while jumping (with "in front" being a relative measure based on how he flips).

19. Mitewing

But Link always has a shield.

20. ThomasMink

That is true.. but it's not the special, "Magic" Shield!