Not a Bug Link: Sword Beam Power

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by TheomanZero, Apr 17, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

In LoZ, the power of Link's Sword Beams depended on his current sword. In SMBC, they're always Wooden Sword-strength.

ThomasMink and sbq92 like this.
  2. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

This continues to be an issue. The beams should be the strength of the sword they are fired from.

TheomanZero likes this.
  3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Isn't marked as "Fixed".

4. Nemephosis

And it's possible it may have been forgotten, so...

5. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Nah, I doubt they didn't checked the bugs before the update, they just didn't fixed them yet.

Rey D likes this.
  6. Nemephosis

It's just weird cause it seems like a small fix... but I'm no coder either. For all I know, fixing it could offset any number of the other projectiles in the game. lol. See also: Street Fighter X Tekken being completely broken when Rolento's knife touches any othr projectie.

7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Changing the power (can be more or less easy depending on how the code is), verifying it does not become overpowered in the code, verifying it does not become overpowered in playthrough...

But yeah it pretty much depends on how the code is, and it's no Game Maker code.

Besides, Jay said that he'll fix small bugs or whatever later.

8. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

If you want powerful projectiles, use arrows.

Rey D likes this.
  9. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Well to be honest there is not much point of making it strong. The beam is just an extra punch to your sword and not suppose to be for so you can attack from far.
    strongest sword + beam = dead koopa
    You don't need more power then that, if you make it super strong then there be no point of attacking close or using arrows.

Rey D likes this.
  10. World 1-1

Jay's right.

It would make the bow pretty useless, since you must waste arrows to shoot and the sword beam has infinite ammo.

11. Nemephosis

I think we actually brought up that the arrows would be redundant but they were put in anyway.

Urutsune likes this.
  12. Urutsune

I think so too because I feel like I said the same thing once already in some thread. I am quite sure this topic has already happened before.

13. World 1-1

I agree with this in part. Yes, the beam is way more useful as an extra damage, but in fact, the reason it was created was exactly to attack from far, because it would pretty useful in a game like Zelda.

14. Urutsune

That is true of course but yeah SMBC is different. I don't say you can't use out it's long range though, you can use it for stuff like hit a far away block or destroy a shell or something. But for straight forward rapid long range offense the Bow is what you should use.

15. World 1-1

Just wanted to point out what does this weapon is originally for. As you said, in SMBC it's main function ended up as an extra damage, and not to hit enemies from far - which is why it exists in first place.

16. Nemephosis

It is pretty easy to use the beams up close. The stab hits a koopa and puts it in its shell and then the beam kills it. If we're going to have arrows be the ranged attack, just remove the beam altogether then.

17. Urutsune

Link deserve the highest attack power after all he has the shortest range out of all. Beam is not in the way in any way.

World 1-1 and Rey D like this.
  18. Nemephosis

Shortest range? He starts with the boomerang which stuns everything except the Lakitu and Bowser, letting him march right up to something and stab it to death with impunity. Range means nothing in his case.

WHat gets me is that this is not how his sword beams work in the game he is from and yet it's "not a bug" despite the claim we're going for "accuracy". The accuracy thing only seems to come up when it's something somebody else wants.

He should have either the (correctly behaving) beams, or the arrows. The whole discussion at the time was that arrows were unnecessary but they were done anyway. Personally, I never use them, because I don't need them... I have sword beams with no ammo. :p

19. Urutsune

Accuracy as how does something works and what can the character do. Damage has to be thought through for balance and fun. If it is about correct damage then Ryu is broken too because he can't kill every enemy in a single hit.

In overall though everyone use stuff however he likes, there is no universe rule for it. That's what can make things interesting that truly everything can be used in multiple ways and you have multiple choices. If you use beams only then good for you. I personally use both at once because you can fire both at the same time.
    Each has it's good and bad points. Beam is not the strongest choice for long range since you can only shoot one at the time for a single sword hit which is... not much and slow but it is unlimited, though you do loose it if you get hit. You can shoot arrows fast and rapidly for great damage that is why they are limited, but you keep it even after you get hit.

This whole argument is silly btw.

Rey D likes this.
  20. Nemephosis

Yeah but you lose the arrows too. :p

Also, speaking of accuracy, where did that powerup come from in the last room in 8-4? BOOOOO.

MissingNo2 likes this.