Future Fix Link's collisions

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Omicron, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

I play the Crossover very little, but everytime i play, Link's collision mask bugs me.

His mask is 14 pixels wide, and that makes it very, very difficult to climb through a small gap. Also, the absence of round corners makes it even worse, and due to Link's horizontal speed, there is only one position in which you can jump through.

So, two things related to Link's collision:

-Link's collision mask is too wide
    -Absence of corner rounding.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Screenshots? With arrows and/or circles to show plainly where the problem is?

3. Omicron

Actually, a screenshot is not the best way to describe this. A scheme is.
    linkscheme.png

Pink squares are 16x16.
    The blue square is Link's current collision mask. I don't know exactly the vertical size, but the horizontal size is 14.
    As shown by the red lines, there is only one pixel of free space in each side.
    This makes it too difficult to jump up through the gap.

4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Wow. Couldn't be better.
    Well, I do understand now. You mean running and jumping from the edge of a block to reach the edge of the other side is kind of hard because of his collision too small, right?

5. Omicron

The complete opposite: It is too hard to jump up through a gap because his collision mask is too big.

6. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This isn't really a bug, is it?

It's a good observation, though. If everyone here agrees I think it would be a good idea to move it to Link's thread in Characters.

7. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

I don't think this is a bug. Bugs are things that shouldn't happen, but unfortunately they do. Yup, this is a bad thing, but I think Jay put it on purpose, because he didn't knew this would happen.

8. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

This is sort of a bug. I'll mark it as a future fix.