Request Little mac

Discussion in 'Characters' started by ninjakrazii, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

As a Punch-Out!! fan, I'm gonna say this.

Little Mac shouldn't be in the game, because there are no sprites of him facing left or right except running, but that's it. He's never jumped, the only power-up he's gonna get is the star, and he only has about 4 VGM themes in his whole NES soundtrack. Sure he has plenty more in SNES, but you gotta have both NES and SNES themes, right?

2. ninjakrazii

ninjakrazii Level 3: Paratroopa

It was just an idea>.> Just thought jay could find some possible way to put him in, maybe like a special boss, where the game switches like punch out!! and your basically playing punch out with mac but fighting a front view of bowser, Idk, just an idea.

3. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Just some advice... If you wanna make a idea think of a good one, take your time before you submit it.

Rey D, MissingNo2 and twinAgkistrodon like this.
  4. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

People can request anyone they want, so long as it's reasonable. And Sonic is certainly reasonable when you drop the whole NES-only thing.

5. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Thing is that SMBC is about playing platformer.
    Switching to another view would be both out of place and hard to make it look decent. I don't see how you'd progress through the levels this way anyway.

Jay's will for SMBC is to include them in the SMB world, AND make them as close as possible to their original gameplay. You can understand it as a will to make people feel nostalgia.
    How is Little Mac, from the the boxing-only game, going to make people feel nostalgia, in a platformer environement ?

EDIT: I'd like to make some points on how or why Little Mac could be in SMBC, but I really don't see any good way nor reason.

TheomanZero and MissingNo2 like this.
  6. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Now you might be wondering what's up with this quotebomb. I just think it's funny that he shot down a character request so thoroughly and then said

But yeah, basically Little Mac seems like a really great idea. I really wish it were possible for him to fit in the game, but there's really no way that could leave him truly being Little Mac. He'd end up as your average beat-em-up, and we have actual beat-em-up characters to choose from :\

So yeah...it's a wonderful dream. I wish it could work. But it just wouldn't be Little Mac any more.

(and don't be deterred from posting more requests, most ideas here are pretty well recieved, this one just got a bad start to the discussion)

TheomanZero likes this.
  7. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

uglyrodent likes this.
  8. uglyrodent

I guess I can see your point...it still seemed contrary though.

For the record, there really is no rule on character requests.

Although being reasonable is helpful. But not at all necessary.

9. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

When it comes to beat-em-ups, I'd certainly like the Battletoads . . . the problem is, beat-em-up characters tend not to have any power-ups to speak of.

10. ninjakrazii

ninjakrazii Level 3: Paratroopa

Just realized mario isn't very exciting either, only two powerups, yet he is in the game:p just saying., and all luigi is is a taller reskin with higher jumping :p guess it just matters if they were "IN" the actual game itself, I would happily play as bowser. But that has probably been requested in a different thread.

11. uglyrodent

For the record, it's generally discouraged to talk about who would work INSTEAD of the person we're discussing.

There was this whole argument about it once. It sucked.

twinAgkistrodon and Rey D like this.
  12. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

My vote for Little Mac in Super Mario Bros Crossover is no.

twinAgkistrodon likes this.
  13. twinAgkistrodon

twinAgkistrodon Level 5: Spiny

I'm wondering how you define "powerup". I know that all Castlevania weapons are considered "subweapons", but in SMBC you pick them up, and that makes them "powerups", right?
    Are you saying that Mega Man, Bill & Ryu have no "powerups" too?
    I think that's a kind of silly definition of "powerup".
    How are Knives and Dynamite not considered "subweapons"? (From your SoR Example)
    On a less serious and flame-y note: If it was a Sonic Crossover game, people would be so upset that they would demand it not exist. :p
    Sorry if this is coming off as angry or harsh, I'm just bored.

14. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Meh won't discuss this with you. Its way off topic which is why I deleted my initial posts. Which is why I made it easy.

Little Mac just shouldn't be in Super Mario Bros Crossover. The idea doesn't make sense. Though I will say that I encourage the opening poster to keep coming up with character ideas for the game but to put some more thought into how the character will fit into the game in many different aspects. Ask yourself these questions and see if they apply to Little Mac:

Does the character exist in a genre that could fit into Super Mario Bros. Crossover as a hero?

How does the character function physics-wise in the game they exist in and how would this stay the same or change in Super Mario Bros Crossover?

How much editing and customization would need to be done to have this character exist in the game?

Before you think of an idea for a character in Super Mario Bros Crossover, think it through. Put that character through a small evaluation. If it passes great. In my book though Little Mac doesn't strike me as appropriate for Super Mario Bros Crossover. I could sit here all day telling everyone why. But I figure its easier just to vote no and give some advice.

twinAgkistrodon likes this.
  15. twinAgkistrodon

twinAgkistrodon Level 5: Spiny

Yeah, it was off-topic. XD
    You're really eloquent with that. I don't think anyone could put up a counter-argument to that post.
    You should make it (the questions) the OP of a new topic so we can have it stickied. (or pinned, or whatever you call it.)
    It would probably reduce these topics where one person is arguing for a bad idea and everyone else is arguing against it.

That's part of the reason I was going off topic.
    I didn't want to continue talking about the idea, as all arguments were pretty much used.
    The other part is that I was bored.
    And now I'm off topic again. :p

16. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

A powerup is basically something that increase your character's stats, or give him an ability.
    Mushrooms, Morningstar, Morph Ball form, Rapid Fire, ...

Johnny likes this.