Request Make Proto Man a separate character if Link gets a working shield (More details inside)

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

This idea was brought up by sbq92. If Link gets a shield that can block projectiles, then Proto Man would be possible. Along with the shield he should have a greater knockback distance. Also, since he is the prototype of Mega Man, he shouldn't have his special abilities ( charging shot and slide). He'd play just like Classic Mega Man, except with a big ass shield!

2. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

a separate protoman could work. though we already have both mega and bass...so a third megaman character? as much as i'd like it it seems a bit unnecessary.

and as for him having no slide and stuff, i'd think that's a bit counter-intuitive, but only because in MM10 (maybe 9 as well, haven't used him there) he can charge and slide while mega himself can't. perhaps some other limitation, maybe something to do with the whole "unstable nuclear core" thing.

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I agree, he would be nice as a separate character. It seems like he should be fairly easy to add in, since he's virtually like Mega Man anyway. I suppose the hardest part would be adding the shield functionality, but I suspect that wouldn't be too difficult.

He should definitely have the slide and charge shot, since the only times he's been playable in the classic series (i.e., MM9/10) he's had sliding and the charge shot, and, as Nitron said, it would be counter-intuitive for him not to have those. In fact, if someone had to lose those abilities, it should be Mega Man, but since Mega Man had those abilities for most of the games, even if not the most recent, he should have them.

I'm not sure how the unstable nuclear core would work, but in MM9/10 he takes double damage and gets knocked back farther than Mega Man. The double damage can't really be incorporated into SMBC unless health bars are incorporated, but the extra knockback would be good.

4. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Yeah..... No. Why take away something he can do? This is called bad game design. I mean did you even think about it? I played as him in SMBC and the times I jumped his shield is kinda useless.

Anyways if he were a separate character he could have the weapons from Mega Man 9 because that was the first game he was playable in a traditional Mega Man game. This would make him unique.

You don't need double damage because there is no health bars. I like the health system the way it is. The extra knockback is his thing so yeah that's a good thing to include.

5. sbq92

It would be interesting for Mega Man to have one weapon from each of the games (MM1-6,9-10) and for Proto Man to only have the 8 weapons from MM9 and for Bass to only have the 8 weapons from MM10. I'm not saying/requesting/demanding that Jay do this, I'm just saying it would be interesting, as it would add some variety to the Mega Man characters, especially between Mega Man and Proto Man.

Frozsoul and Crownjo like this.
  6. Crownjo

I was thinking of something like this.

Mega Man (MM1-6) Since Proto Man and Bass would have their own weapons from their respective games.

7. sbq92

That could also work, though that would actually give Mega Man fewer weapons, unless he were to also have the three special ones from MM10.

8. Crownjo

I knew what you were taking about. It's just that one of those special ones wouldn't be too useful in SMBC. Mega Man having fewer weapons? He would still have 8. Just a mix between 1-6.

9. sbq92

Good point, Enker's weapon would be virtually useless. The others would be good, though. He could have one each from MM1-6 and then the two useful weapons from MM10. I don't think he should have a mix of MM1-6. How do you choose which games get represented more, and why? I suppose it could just be a couple more popular weapons regardless of what game they are from, but it would be nice to have the MM10 special weapons represented (they wouldn't be represented by Bass, since only Mega Man can use them).

10. Crownjo

As much I would like the special weapons. I would like a mix of weapons from 1-6 better. I would choose the useful and unqiue weapons from the six. Is the water shield the only MM10 weapon in SMBC?

11. Korby

Korby Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Megaman could also have the weapons from Megaman V, Power Fighters, and Power Battles.

Power Fighters/Battles had various differences in already established weapons. Power Stone was a floor-hugging hand of doom, Centaur Flash was replaced with Centaur Arrow, an arrow projectile that shot up/down randomly-ish, Atomic Fire was more like a Flame Blast that traveled forwards after landing, things like that.

sbq92 likes this.
  12. sbq92

Water Shield is currently the only weapon in SMBC that isn't from MM1-6, though a MM9 weapon is somewhat planned (Magma Bazooka is on the sheet). I guess losing Water Shield for a couple more weapons would be nice. One of them could even be a better shield (though, "better shield" is somewhat oxymoronic :p), such as Skull Barrier or Star Crash. It could one-shot weaker enemies (like Goombas, Piranha Plants, and Cheep Cheeps), but it would disappear upon contact, so you couldn't just run through a line of Goombas. It would be very useful for the bridge levels.

This is a good point. The NeoGeo version of the game had graphics that would be better suited to the 8-bit SMBC. MMV for Game Boy would also definitely be a good place to get weapons from. It has 8 new weapons (plus Tango), and most of the weapons are interesting and unique. They would just need to be colorized, but that's easy enough to do.

ThomasMink likes this.
  13. nickreaper

nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

Then what's the point? Why not just give Mega Man a shield power up? Personally, I really don't want Protoman to lose the charge shot and other special abilities.

And if it does happen, then after further updates if, let's say, that Kirby skin for Mario got in people would be like "Well, fuck, Protoman can be his own character, but Kirby is just a skin for Mario when he plays WAAAY different from him in all his games!"

If characters that close together become their own instead of just a skin, that could make Jay, Zach, or one of the seven gnomes that work on the game discouraged to put some of the skins, that are being made on the forum, into the game at all thinking "Oh, shit, people will want them to be their own character like Protoman, and I just don't have enough time, or willpower to code that."

I mean, Mario and Luigi being different, that's a given, because it's a Mario game first, and Legend of Mega-Con-Master-Troid-Gaiden-Vania game second.

ThomasMink likes this.
  14. sbq92

Don't worry, I highly doubt Jay would take away Proto Man's charge shot and sliding. I think Mitewing was simply trying to think of a way to differentiate them farther.

You raise a very good point. First Proto Man, then what? The skins were intended to allow for characters being "added" without being added, and since Proto Man plays virtually identically to Mega Man, being a skin should suffice. Since there are actual differences between the characters, it would be kind of nice to see Proto Man function differently as a separate character, but it's worth asking, Is it worth the effort to make him a separate character? Maybe Jay could make Proto Man's shield function differently even just as a skin, and maybe Jay could make farther knockback for just the skin. I do still think it would be cool to see Proto Man as a separate character, since Bass already is, but I understand that Bass obviously plays differently enough to warrant being his own character, while Proto Man is more or less a Mega Man clone. You are right, though, it would likely make people start demanding more characters to be made, defeating the intention of the skins.

ThomasMink, Mitewing and nickreaper like this.
  15. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

If someone wants Proto Man for different weapon set then... why the heck not just request alternate weapon sets for Mega and Bass? It would make a lot more sense then requesting a clone character just for different weapons.

Crownjo likes this.
  16. nickreaper

I think that would actually require more work on Jay's part...Is it right to say Jay? I know Zach works on the game too, but is it safe to say Jay works on it more?

17. sbq92

Jay is the programmer, and Zach does the graphics. I don't know if Zach does any actual programming himself.

18. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

You're right. My suggestions were to try to make Proto Man as different as possible. Also to balance the character because the shield would be a big advantage. It would make him play more like the classic Mega Man. It never made sense to me why he would have the extra abilities since he was built before Mega Man got those upgrades to begin with.

ThomasMink likes this.
  19. nickreaper

Because Proto Man is awesome. Proto Man was Zero before Zero was Zero.

20. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Zero created by Wily while Proto man created by Dr.Light (Wiki)
    Anyway I don't think Protoman should be a separate character. His shield in orginal game only block the normal bullet while the other projectiles still damage him.