Request Make water vs. ground more distinct for Zelda II map skin

Discussion in 'Features' started by Frozsoul, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

This isn't really a bug so I thought I'd post this under the requests section.

I noticed when playing with the Zelda II map skin that in World 2-1 the green coloured water can be a bit difficult to distinguish from the green coloured ground, making it easier to accidentally fall into pits. At first play through the water actually looks like just a different type of ground:

screen_two.png

I assume this is a palette issue since the green coloured water does not appear to be in the Wiki skin sheet. I was wondering if a change could be made to make the water more distinct from the ground; below is a mock-up which substitutes the blue coloured water from World 1-1 which I think makes the water (and pits) more obvious:

screen_three.png

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The purpose is to imitate the swamp area of Zelda II, which uses the blue-green color of water. I realize they are similar in color, but they have completely different patterns so it shouldn't be too difficult to tell them apart. At first glance it is a bit odd, but once you start playing through and seeing enemy interactions with it you realize you don't want to fall in.

Mitewing and Alkerion like this.
  3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I agree the contrast is not great but I'm not sure how this weighs against consistency.

4. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Understood. It would be nice if somehow the water tiles could slightly animate (e.g. by alternating positions of the sparkles) but I suppose that wouldn't be source accurate. Thanks for the quick response!

sbq92 likes this.