Map Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Yeah, feel free to go ahead.

2. Dochobin

Dochobin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Alright, sweet. Thanks.

3. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Here's the progress I've made for the night.
    [​IMG]
    • All non-special tiles have been given a dull outline
    • Coins added, with Smash Bros. logo on them
    • Castles completed, with open door (really need help on making it look as good as possible though)
    I really think theming this as the closest to a Smash Bros. skin set could really be neat, and I'd like as much help as possible with it.
    Speaking of, I kinda want the firework to be a kinda weak smoke firework. Don't know how I myself could sprite it though (doesn't help I'm posting this while tired)

TheomanZero, Dimpsy and Alkerion like this.
  4. MissingNo2

Le double post
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't seem to find any animation frames for the water or lava.
    If you can help out, please, PLEASE help. I'm not gonna be able to get this thing done myself.

Dochobin and Mitewing like this.
  5. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Map_001.png
    Ascii wip. :awesome:

BTW the font used is Emulogic which is basically NES font.

6. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

I want that finish!

7. MissingNo2

It'd probably be smarter if you used size 6, not 12.

8. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

Wario_Bike.png
    Map skin based on the "Wario Bike" souvenir in Wario Ware: Twisted.

9. Goomba98

Goomba98 Level 3: Paratroopa

I believe the bridge crumbling goes like this:
    Still, I love the idea of a GB Zelda skin.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  10. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Yoshi's Island map skin!
    Yoshi\'s Island Map.png

11. Goomba98

Goomba98 Level 3: Paratroopa

You could use the unused ? block:
    [​IMG]
    and possibly make the Bullet Bill cannon green. Otherwise, it's good.

Mitewing and MissingNo2 like this.
  12. silentshadowxp

Yoshi\'s Island Map.png

I originally made the cannon blue to match the skull, but I've changed it back to green.

Also, I had tinkered with the idea of using that block, or a custom ? block, but in the end I decided to go with the egg block, since it seemed to fit more with the feel of the game.

ThomasMink and uglyrodent like this.
  13. silentshadowxp

Updated arcade map!
    Arcade Map.png

14. Mariofan5000

Map_001.png
    If you were notice, the castles in the original (as seen here) have a darkest shade, which in SMBC in different.
    Also this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Notice how in SMAS the bush piece isn't there? That's 'cuz every castle in SMAS is 8 pixels to the right of the original castle. Better comparison:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Notice how in SMAS, Mario starts at the actual castle door and not to the right of it.
    Also:
    Map_0001.PNG
    Added:
    • Different colored flagpoles (unnecessary, but I don't want it to go to waste).
    • Got rid of part of the 8-bit big castle, as it is in SMB (the levels can display two background object sets, for levels with big castles, on of them is the castle wall from World 8-3, which is placed around the castle, which explains why the rest of the castle after the flagpole is continues).
    • Added two separate flags, one would be invisible in the skins, so the flag would be able to flow in each direction. Also, the yellow flags have 4 frames (technically 8, but the latter are identical, i.e. 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4).
    • The animated cloud from the level preview (to be used when it is added.) (The animation is 8 frames in SMAS, which has each frame play twice, one after the other, i.e. 1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4).
    • Replaced the recolored flagpoles with the unused climbable pole and it's alternates in the "Super Mario Bros. Utility".

TheomanZero likes this.
  15. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Keep in mind SMBC uses the NES version of SMB as its base, and the SMAS skin simply makes the look like SMAS, it doesn't turn it into SMAS. There are some changes between the two we simply can't imitate, such as the castle position at the end of a level or Mario's starting position at the beginning of a level.

ThomasMink and uglyrodent like this.
  16. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Couldn't you just shift the SMAS castles over 8 pixels in the template?

17. sbq92

There isn't room to shift them over that far, and even if we did, Mario would enter the castle half a tile too early.

18. Mariofan5000

That's exactly how SMAS is supposed to make it. It was shifted 8 pixels to the right.

Then just shift the 8-bit ones half a tile to the left, reposition everything in the levels and make it so that Mario enters at the set part of the castle sprite exclusive for all skins. Problem solved.

19. sbq92

I'm not going to reposition everything for one skin.

20. Mariofan5000

:mad: