Map Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

God yes

2. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Also before anyone asks, the item block, brick, and gem look messed up because they're designed to be able to go through all the different forms they take through palette manipulation.

3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Explain further please.

4. MissingNo2

Please refer to this post.
    I'll also add the original sprites as an example on the theme skin.

5. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I see. I still don't understand why they need an ingame palette change and not actual sprites.

6. MissingNo2

Because the three biggest changes (aside from the backgrounds) are all on the map skin here, and that obviously makes it not possible otherwise. There were eight different forms for all of this stuff, after all. This again, is why I'm making examples on the theme skin.

7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Yeah, we actually do palette manipulation a fair bit. If you'll look at the SMW enemy sheet, you'll notice the green Piranha Plants are not green, and you'll see the Cheep Cheeps are quite messed up. That's because we need to be able to change the stem and head of the Piranha plant separately for the dead-like ghost house versions (World 7), and the Cheep Cheeps are completely changed into ghosts for the ghost house (again, World 7).

We also use palettes to have coins display correctly in different levels and to have Mega Man's eyes and mouth not flash when he charges. So, something like changing the gems shouldn't be too difficult.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  8. MissingNo2

It's not just the gems anyway, it's also the item blocks and bricks.
    Anyhow.
    everse-map.png
    Temporarily made the castles doors (since there weren't really any "castles" in Eversion outside of the final level.)
    Still lost on what to do about the powerups, though... any thoughts?

9. Lilfut

Make the powerups single-color silhouettes. The Mushroom, Fire Flower, and Star would be a shade lighter than the background of the current level, and the Poison Mushroom would be a shade darker, as a nod to the Evert mechanic.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  10. MissingNo2

everse-map.png
    I made the 1up a shade of green, to make it stand out against the normal Mushroom.
    I also only just remembered I forgot about X-8's brick, and added it to the mix.

I wonder if it'd be okay if I hid elements of Doomed Kingdom for the non-Eversion objects...

11. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I'm curious; why weren't certain tile-sets such as All Night Nippon some of the first map skins to be implemented? They seem the easiest because they're literally straight reskins of SMB.

TheomanZero, Mitewing and Lilfut like this.
  12. Lilfut

I too was disappointed that it wasn't in, particularly since it was my first skin.

13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Hopefully it's because they will be added when the corresponding levels are added.

SMB2J has a unique map skin, and so does Special. All Night Nippon's is an amalgam of SMB1 and SMB2J. VS SMB uses the same map skin as SMB1.

TheomanZero and aliceandsven like this.
  14. MissingNo2

everse-map.png
    Update, now with everting flowers as powerups (The 1up and Starman don't change).

Mitewing likes this.
  15. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Edgar and Sabin's coin is pretty small anyway. I'm sure there's a GP sprite from some other FF game though, I'll do some digging.

(Also I responded in the Map Skins thread since that's where this should be).

MissingNo2 and Rey D like this.
  16. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

I actually found GP Rain Sprites from FF 6 they were big but I shrunk them and made it look like it's rotating. But thanks for the offer UR.:) Tell me what y'all think before I move on to the next part of my skins.
    Map_Skin_Template.png
    I kept the red Magicite for red coins thinking if they are like Dragon Coins from SMW collect Phoenix Magicite for 1up.

Alkerion, Dimpsy and uglyrodent like this.
  17. uglyrodent

I am not gonna use anything except this once it definitely gets in.

Alkerion likes this.
  18. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

So I'll take it I should move on to the rest glad you like it.:)

19. uglyrodent

Toon Map.png
    By popular demand (I think it was Theoman who specifically said to make a map skin), the 1920's Toon Map.

This one requires a bit more explanation than most.

Many of these sprites I did merely change the color. I made Toad look happy and redrew the bottom half of Peach's face entirely. Simplified certain graphics, added outlines to basically everything...

Used the SMB3 mushrooms, stars, and coins. Did custom faces for poison mushrooms and the 1-ups.

Those flowers...I was trying to make them happy and cute but they came out creepy as fuck. I don't plan on fixing this.

EDIT: I may touch up the clouds and coins later, but I'm not sure.

20. MissingNo2

[​IMG]
    Just added a couple modifications.

Flower's (hopefully) less creepy now, and added the Happy Starman from SMB Special (but with a wider smile)

Alkerion and uglyrodent like this.