Map Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

I'm thinking the coins should have a big dollar sign on them. That'd fit the aesthetic.

2. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Those are actually a little MORE creepy in my opinion, but I love both changed (adding them now).

YES.

Toon Map.png
    -Added Missingno's modifications.

-Put dollar signs on the coins, and made them bob up and down rather than spin.
    -Put a happy face on the red coins for want of a better idea.

EDIT: I also removed the shadows on the clouds.

TheomanZero, Alkerion and MissingNo2 like this.
  3. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

The clouds should have smiles on them, as well as the hills. Pretty much everything there deserves a smile. :D

4. uglyrodent

Yknow, I considered it but there's a point where you're just overplaying a cliche. Also backgrounds in those old cartoons actually tended to be either bland, or at least underemphasized to cause the audience to focus more on the bits that move.

Rey D, Dimpsy and MissingNo2 like this.
  5. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

In which case, turn the outlines of the background objects (aside from the castles and water) gray.

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

In fact, they looked different because the background was made in normal paper with attention to detail while the moving parts had to be drawn faster and on plastic with a specific ink that had little color options. That's why they looked different. You could instantly tell what parts were going to move on a certain scene from their outstanding colors :p

Scorpion42, MissingNo2 and uglyrodent like this.
  7. uglyrodent

This is a good suggestion, an ReNeX's reasoning makes it more likely, but there is a bit of a problem.

I'm trying to keep it to a really simple set of three colors; black, grey, and white. I know those cartoons had multiple shades of grey, but I'm also trying to keep a consistent aesthetic. If I introduce a new color, it's going to take a little bit away from the simplicity I've tried to get as well as making me go back and add it to to the other skins (if I'm gonna use more colors, I want them to be available on every skin, not just the ones after I decide to use it).

I'll do it if you guys think it's a good idea, but I just wanted to point out that it's a bit different than what I was going for and might disrupt the aesthetic a bit.

It's your guys call though, I've yet to be steered wrong on this project.

EDIT: I could easily make the clouds and water have a grey outline (well, not the normal water since it's a background and I'd prefer grey there, but the lighter blue water can) since they're both already white. It's really just the bushes and hills I have a problem with, but I could even make those white and keep to the three color thing.

Alkerion likes this.
  8. CuvisTheConqueror

Patron

I was thinking your mushrooms were a bit hard to distinguish. What do you think of these instead?

Toon Mario Mushrooms.png

uglyrodent likes this.
  9. uglyrodent

Added.

Except they're not, but they will be.

10. Omicron

What if you used a light gray instead of white for the stationary objects (including boxes before they're hit) and normal white for the moving parts? It'd stay true to the roots of hand-drawn animation.

uglyrodent and MissingNo2 like this.
  11. uglyrodent

Boxes animate before they're hit, but I see what you mean. I like this idea.

Omicron likes this.
  12. Omicron

The face on the red coin is creeping me out.

[​IMG]

I used this as a base to make 4 6 8 tests:
    cointests.png

Out of these, i kinda like 1, 3, 4 and 7 the most.

uglyrodent likes this.
  13. uglyrodent

Toon Map.png
    You guys have half made this for me at this point :p

-Made clouds, hills, pipes, and bill blasters light free with grey outline, as well as the light blue water (what is that even for?) and the lava. Basically everything that doesn't normally animate or come from an animation.

-Added one of ReNeX's sets of coins. Although I still am not too happy with the idea of happy face coins in general, but it's good enough.

EDIT: Also, the backgrounds: daytime stages would use the lighter grey, all other stages would use the darker one.

14. CuvisTheConqueror

Patron

Those happy-face coins remind me of Bonk's Adventure.

Dimpsy, uglyrodent and Develon like this.
  15. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Keep in mind that black and white can achieved by switching the game-boy filter on. I can see how adding colors would kinda go against what you're trying to do, so how about toning it sepia?

16. Omicron

Each of the coins i drew have different eyes. You're supposed to choose one and duplicate it over :p

17. uglyrodent

The gameboy filter isn't black and white, it actually has a slight green tint.

I've heard the suggestion to tone it sepia, but it's supposed to be black and white since that's how those cartoons looked.
    ...oh. They looked like two sets of identical coins, but I'll double check.

Holy shit! How did I miss that! I fixed it.

Omicron likes this.
  18. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Part 2 of my Sonic skin set. (technically part 3 if you count the Mario skin)
    Sonic Map.png

Again, these aren't from just one singular Sonic game, but Sonic games as a whole.

19. MissingNo2

Warning: below be my pickiness yet again
    [​IMG]
    The small castle replacement is based on the half-unused Goal houses that originally held the end bell, and had a pole at the top to hit. I removed the pole since we've already got the flagpole.
    The big castle is based around Mario's castle, and yeah I know it kinda looks a tad stupid, but it works.

20. MissingNo2

Bump because much work has been done.
    [​IMG]
    About time this got started up, if you ask me.

Dimpsy likes this.