Request Map system for SMBC

Discussion in 'Features' started by Anter, Jun 30, 2011.

1. BURGERMAN

BURGERMAN Level 6: Lakitu

I suppose you could have a world map, but it wouldn't really add much to the game... Then again...

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  2. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

It's a good idea, but i'm pretty sure it would ruin the level-select cheat

3. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

Egh...
    Sounds good.

4. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Why can't the world maps not be used with the level select cheats? I think the maps would be a great edition to Survival Mode as well.

huang17 and Alias X Beoulve like this.
  5. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

All I ever play is Survival mode.
    It gets too boring if it's too much like Mario. I usually kill Mario off if I accidentally select him randomly. :M:

Mitewing likes this.
  6. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I think the idea is that the maps would be the interface for the level select cheat. The map would just pop up to show you where you are normally, and would only be interactive in the cheat.
    Alternatively, we could drop the level select cheat and just make it so that you can select levels once you've beaten the game. However, that would have to be on a per-character per-difficulty basis (that is, beating the game as Mario on Very Easy would unlock level select for Mario on Very Easy, then beating the game as Mario on Easy would unlock level select for Mario on Easy, and so forth).
    I guess the cheat is probably simpler.

7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Why not both? The cheat could be available (after unlocking it, of course) for those who wish to use it, but for those who don't want to cheat, the ability to play previously finished levels (following your completion and difficulty idea, a method I am quite fond of for replayability purposes) option would be available.

And then, on top of all that, there would be a "Classic" mode that would disable the map and therefore disable the ability to go back and revisit finished levels. ("Classic" mode would not be limited to the disabling of the map feature, of course.)

8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Here's how I figure the characters may appear, given the maps in SMBDX are kinda small.
    Mario: Small Mario
    Link: Regular Link or Link from Overworld map in Zelda II.
    Sophia 3rd: Jason
    Bill: Top/down version from Super C.
    Samus: In ball form.
    Mega Man: 1UP head.
    Ryu: ?
    Simon: ?

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  9. Alias X Beoulve

Ryus can be a shuriken or something and Simon can be a heart.

10. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Simon should be an axe, obviously. A heart could be anything at all. Or if Mario can just be Mario on the map, why can't Ryu and Simon just be on the map??

roman6a likes this.
  11. Alias X Beoulve

Heart from Castlevania.

12. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Dude, ik. You think I wouldn't know?

13. Alias X Beoulve

I couldn't be too sure, I guess.
    Not everyone has played Castlevania enough to recognize a heart symbol from those games but I think it's better than choosing a weapon that everyone has a different preference to use, hopefully there will be lots of drops when and if he implements other weapons for Simon.

14. sbq92

Why not just a picture of each character's head for their map character? Sure, some characters do have map graphics, but because not everyone does, and it should be uniform, every character could be represented by their head.

ZeroXBeoulve, roman6a and Mitewing like this.
  15. TheomanZero

A heart is too generic. They feature largely in the Castlevania series, true, but they're in a lot of other things as well.
    Do we even need symbols? In SMBDX, the dot for the level you were on just blinked.

16. Alias X Beoulve

Since it would be a pretty useless feature (kind of a 'just-for-fun' thing), I doubt any serious consideration for this will happen until future updates, unless they already discussed and decided on putting it in the game for 2.0.

17. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

The b/w map blinked.
    The big map had Mario on the current level.

18. sbq92

Even if it isn't considered until much later, it doesn't hurt to get some ideas fleshed out.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  19. Alias X Beoulve

Yes, I agree that it's a cool idea and that it's okay to talk about.
    Just saying you shouldn't get your hopes up for the update.

20. TheomanZero

Well, I guess we could use custom sprites where necessary. We already have them for climbing and such, after all. (And apparently I don't remember SMBDX as well as I thought.)

huang17 likes this.