Official Mario: Eating mushrooms since 1985

Mario, from Super Mario Bros., is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This thread is specifically for the in depth discussion of Mario in Super Mario Bros. Feel free to post hints, tips, tricks, ideas, suggestions, impressions, etc.

Wiki Page: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/Mario

Credit and congratulations go to Repairmanman for winning the Name-a-Sticky contest for this thread!

2. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Actually, I think there were no specific thread about Mario in SMBC.

3. yerffej

yerffej Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Mario is actually replicated pretty well in this game, so I'm not sure if there is much to discuss.
    Luigi, on the other hand...

4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

...was exactly the same as Mario in the original. So is Luigi is put in the game, Jay can just swap the colors and call it a new character XD
    Aside from, as a few people have pointed out, interacting with the blocks somewhat incorrectly, Mario is pretty much perfect though.

5. aliceandsven

"was exactly the same as Mario in the original"

I'm willing to bet you'll never see Luigi as an independent character. if what you say is true, all we have to do is skin mario to be luigi instead.

6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Mario does control a little differently, but I like his controls. I actually find him a bit easier to control. He doesn't seem to carry as much momentum when you try to turn around, which helps quite a bit when trying to race through the game as him.

Regarding Luigi...actually, never mind. I won't get into it. :p

7. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

If we want Luigi in the game, and we want it different from Mario, we're gonna need SMB:LL and SMB2 combined. Tiny Luigi will be SMB:LL mini Luigi, mushroom SMB2, flower more powerful, flower, you get the point.

But of course, this is my opinion.

8. yerffej

If you look in my sig, there is a link to a thread to the possible Luigis. Since this is a thread for Mario, maybe any Luigi discussion should go to that thread in my sig.

9. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I sure wouldn't mind Luigi being in this game. He was always my favorite brother. And I'm still waiting for when they give him a game that DOESN'T involve him looking for Mario. But anyway, as far as his sprites:

Being that this is still essentially Super Mario Bros. 1, doesn't anyone think that having Luigi's SMB2 sprite would clash with Mario's SMB1? Yes we have clashing sprites from several games but Mario and Luigi are brothers. They must match; anything else is unacceptable.

All you need to do is add SMB1 Luigi's sprite and incorporate the poor traction and high floaty jumping. Just make his jumps look like he is running on air like in SMB2. And I suppose to differentiate them even more, perhaps add Luigi's gravity defying fireballs. If the fundamentals of Link can be changed, then I believe that this is totally plausible.

And you're done! Any thoughts?

10. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

If Luigi were implemented, here's an idea for how to select him, just to save a little space. Put your cursor over Mario, and press the Special button. Mario would change to Luigi, and back (if you did it again).

11. davicoro

davicoro Level 1: Goomba

Hey... lets give mario a new special attack... like a charge fireball that can kill spinkys

12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

If a new ability is ever added to Mario, I'd like to see something canonical like the Ground Pound or the Ice Flower. The ice flower would be the perfect weapon against them.

13. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Maybe you should be able to choose between the SMB 1, 2 and 3 Marios (And Luigis).

14. x3point14

x3point14 Level 6: Lakitu

HAH He said he was adding him

15. aliceandsven

Yeah as it turns out, he may actually be added, which is a surprise. However it's still sort-of mysterious.

16. yerffej

I just made a suggestion on the wiki to change Mario's character select music to either Game Start or Next Level from the original Mario Bros. game. what do you think?

17. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Where is the current from anyway?

18. yerffej

Super Mario Bros. 3, when you are battling a hammer brother

19. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

This thread is no longer "Itsa thread for him!" but "Itsa thread for me!"

20. Iceman404

Iceman404 Level 2: Koopa

Jay probably doesn't even read these posts but, I played a Super Mario Bros. rom and a New Super Mario Bros. Crossover game side by side simultaneously; I tested some things, and noticed differences here and there. For one, Mario's vertical hit-box is WAY off, and he jumps a little higher than he's supposed to (when falling in the original he was also much heavier and some short-term speed before reaching a constant momentum and he touching the ground if you were high enough). He moves much slower then usual when not holding the dash button, and his animation plays too slow; the same also applies to when I did hold the dash button. This is most likely why when I play World 4-1 in Crossover, I seem to always get hit by the tall Plants in the pipes and not finish the level in the exact time parameters I usually do in the original game. In the original, I could just dash through the WHOLE level without stopping once; but in Crossover, I always seem to be waiting for the plants to retract as if I'm playing red-light-green-light. In case he does actually read this, here's a video exploiting the hit-boxes of the original game; they're much different than in crossover.

He jumps slow and falls quick in the original. Lastly, when bouncing off enemies in the original, he bounces much lower, and falls back much faster, allowing for quick accuracy and fast platforming.

roman6a likes this.