Official Mario: Eating mushrooms since 1985

Mario, from Super Mario Bros., is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Fantasy_Zone

Fantasy_Zone Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

What I meant was in connection to my post above, an SMB3 Mario who has all the powers of SMB3 Mario not simply a skin.

huang17 and Crownjo like this.
  2. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Hmm...

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Honestly, I wouldn't really mind just replacing the current Mario with SMB3 Mario. I mean, he does feel boring compared to the other characters, and the only reason he's in is because he was in the original game. If you want to play the levels of Super Mario Bros. as Mario, why not just play Super Mario Bros.?

Well, I suppose one reason to keep him would be if you just wanted to play SMB on a different difficulty or with a different skin (or for free online, but we shouldn't really be encouraging that). The question is, is that enough reason to keep the original Mario around?

Maybe there should be a poll: if Mario were replaced with SMB3 Mario, who out there would miss him?

(Of course, if Jay wants to keep him this is all irrelevant.)

4. Crownjo

SMB Mario and SMB3 Mario has different rules and gameplay, which makes SMB3 Mario interesting to have.

His gameplay would overwhelm the game since he would be the fastest runner and he could fly.

Then again the rest of the characters already dominate the levels so I could be wrong.

5. Fantasy_Zone

I suspect he won't be replaced since he is the game's namesake, but I see no harm in adding (or requesting) an SMB3-powered Mario and Luigi (maybe to their current characters or maybe as separate ones). Mario doesn't have to fly or speed run since the raccoon suit has another power (tail whip). What makes SMBC fun and interesting is that these characters who have no place in SMB1 are able to change the way you approach the game because of their individual limitations. Mario and Luigi are kind of boring in SMBC, and I shy away from them since I have these other options.

I do find it interesting that only Mario and Luigi gain their powers incrementally (I realize Bill Riser gains no extras except different guns, but that seems to be in keeping with Contra). You start as small, then grow larger (which allows you an extra damage and to break bricks) and finally get to spit fireballs (while also retaining that extra damage and brick-breaking ability). In SMB3 Mario's suits afforded him the same extras (damage and bricks) as the fire flower, but each suit provided you with different ways to interact with the levels.

6. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I really think SMB mario is completely necessary... I mean this IS SMB. I think this game could use secret characters though (like in a fighting game, you push a certain button combo, or you scroll off the list of characters to a secret character icon). That way you could add SMB3 mario without awkwardly putting him beside SMB mario who already has a SMB3 skin. That would probably require the least amount of work without completely removing a key part of the game.

If we gave SMB mario all of his later power-ups, it would require A LOT of custom spriting in order to work with all of those skins.

And if we had secret characters we'd have a good formula for going even further beyond and adding more stuff, like SMW Mario, SML Mario, etc. Not to mention all of the possibilities of different forms for the rest of the cast (Classic Mega, MM&B Mega/Bass, Real Super Metroid Sammy, SCV4 Simon, etc.) You could kind of push the envelope maybe since they're hidden and not part of the main presentation.

Of course, this all requires more work... so...

Crownjo likes this.
  7. Fantasy_Zone

Secret characters would be slick way to add more without overwhelming the player. Of course, it requires more work that many of us would not be party to, but it is fun to consider the idea even if it never becomes reality.

I don't know if this could work, but SOTN Alucard would be awesome in SMBC.

8. aliceandsven

I think the upward limit even for secret chars would be 16-bit games

9. Fantasy_Zone

You are probably right. I imagine that modifying Alucard's sprite into 16-bit might be too intensive for it to be worthwhile.

10. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Previously, I had suggested that instead of SMB3 Mario (and Luigi) being a separate character, there could be an "SMB3 Mode" cheat (unlockable, obviously) that turned M & L into their SMB3 selves. The other forumites seemed to react poorly to it, though.

11. Fantasy_Zone

Why would anyone react poorly to that idea? Seems like a sound idea to me. Unlock a cheat to acquire some SMB3 style play. I would love to hope through some SMB1 levels in a frog suit or throw hammers back at Bowser in 6-4.

TheomanZero likes this.
  12. Crownjo

I am more in support for this. I think programming wise and gameplay wise it would be better if SMB3 Mario was his own character. It's not going to ruin the game at all. I also want Zelda II Link as well.

13. JoMamma

JoMamma Level 6: Lakitu

Mario is the fastest character.
    He's pretty good for speedruns.
    But it's no fun since you don't need SMBC to speedrun Mario.

14. aliceandsven

But it makes no sense to have no SMB mario in SMB

And it would make no sense to give SMB mario powerups from later games

Crownjo likes this.
  15. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Now that we have Toad in the game, I wonder if he can be made to act like he does in SMB2, where he can stand on enemies and pick them up and throw them at each other.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Hopefully, one day. I'm trying to get support for a Pac-Man skin. You can read about in the Mario Skins thread.

17. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Isn't that too much for just a skin?

huang17 and Rey D like this.
  18. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

I dunno, I don't think so, but then I'm not on the team either. :p

19. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It's a whole different mechanic for a character, so it's not being added any soon, if ever.

20. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Now that there are different Toads and Princesses for the characters, there is a much bigger chance that SMB2 Toad will end up in the game. And, now that characters' variables change slightly with their skins, if he gets in, so might the rest of the SMB2 team.

Mitewing likes this.