Official Mario Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Mitewing, Feb 23, 2011.

1. steamerthesteamtrain

steamerthesteamtrain Level 3: Paratroopa

Hey Nes i way more classic than Snes. and i thought the sprite looked terrible
    bowser.png Bowser.png
    i admit SMAS SMB1 is kind of cool. but like goku bowser's weak point is his tail
    for example
    [​IMG]
    yes i know you kill bowser with fire in the remake of smb1 but it's more safe for bowser (even though he's the bad guy)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1417675821][/DOUBLEPOST]
    oh goodie

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  2. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

that is up for debate

3. SiFi

SiFi Level 1: Goomba

So Steamer wants a skin based on the NES version of Mario Bros., and Mitewing wants a skin based on SMB3's battle mode. I think I have just the solution.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah. Quite a few poses still need to be done. Not sure what I'm going to do for the powerups. The Toad replacements are based on Players 3 and 4 from the GBA version. Need to think of a better Peach replacement for Luigi.

UltraMario3000, Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  4. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

1: god damn it why are you stealing my thunder

2: there's a reason why i got stuck on the big sprites: MARIO BROS. MARIO IS TOO FUCKING SMALL.

look I'll give you credit for peach/pauline over here though, she looks nice, whoever she's supposed to be.

UltraMario3000 likes this.
  5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

That's a pretty good idea. You're using sprites from different versions of the same game. For powerups, I'd base them on SMB since MB preceded that game. Maybe you can change the colors a bit. If the large sprites were from SMB3 I would say use those powerups. It looks like you based Pauline on Pinball and Famicom Basic, right? The 3rd and 4th players are an inspired idea too.

UltraMario3000 likes this.
  6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

actually if you go far back enough my thunder's the one getting stolen

UltraMario3000 and Mitewing like this.
  7. SiFi

I did some comparing and he's a lot smaller next to SMB1 Mario than I expected him to be, but next to every other Mario (2, 3, World, and Land 2) the difference is less than half a tile. Honestly I think it'd work about as well as the Game Boy Castlevania characters.

Oh and I changed Pauline to Daisy for the Luigi skin. I think I'll take another page from the GBA version and make the mushroom a heart.
    [​IMG]

UltraMario3000 and Mitewing like this.
  8. Mitewing

The heart was for 1UPs I believe, not the Super Mushroom. Since it's predates SMB, using the default Super Mushroom or something similar may work.

Nevermind. I was thinking of the Mario Land games. I looked at the sprites for Mario Bros for GBA. Just make it 8bit and you're fine. Plus you could make 16bit versions of these characters. Small version from SMB3 All Stars and large version based on GBA game.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    UltraMario3000 and Faruga like this.
  9. SiFi

In the GBA version's battle mode, there was a garbage can below the POW block and going inside would cause your character to stumble around in there until they jump out with an item and one of the items is a Birdo egg which they can then throw and it'll break to reveal a heart that makes you big and WHAT THE HELL AM I EVEN PLAYING

I've converted the heart to 8-bit and added it to the sheet, along with a Starman from the same version of the game and a flower from Donkey Kong 3 (yay for flimsy connections). I'll put it here once I'm done with the missing poses.

Both the All Stars and Advance versions of Mario Bros. implemented the big/small mechanic, and each version used sprites that are already skins in Crossover (although the Super Mario Advance sprites are differently colored to the SMB2 sprites but I don't think that's big enough a difference)

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  10. steamerthesteamtrain

why can't this be small mario mario bros.png

11. Mitewing

Good point about the All Stars version of 3. I thought the SMA sprites were drawn slightly different than All Stars 2, but I'm probably wrong again. Speaking of DK, there's the heart in the first game you can use if you want to stay as original as possible.

Faruga likes this.
  12. SiFi

Because then what would we use for big Mario?

13. steamerthesteamtrain

idrk

14. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Please refrain from posting such needless short posts. They don't contribute to the topic at hand.

Faruga and pikafan8 like this.
  15. SiFi

So these are just about done, save for the fireball throwing sprites, which I don't know how to approach, and the portrait, which I'd be hopeless at. Believe me, I've tried.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But yeah if someone could turn could turn this into an SMBC sized portrait with Mario and Luigi's color schemes above, that'd be much appreciated.

UltraMario3000, Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  16. CowboyJoseph64

well with some cropping and recoloring I may get it done if I have nothing else to do. I'd also love to get some credit out of this anyway. (seriously MB mario is too small, I think we should still try to make a much more fitting alternative)

SiFi and Faruga like this.
  17. Mitewing

The GB versions of Simon and Ryu are smaller than their default versions. How come Mario/Luigi can't work?

Faruga likes this.
  18. CowboyJoseph64

they're smaller, true, but comparing the sizes, GB simon/trevor/whoever-belmont-they're-all-the-same-anyway is 7 pixels shorter... oh wait that's pretty damn smaller, why did they even... well you know what MB mario is like right in between big and small mario, like, if the character can fit in as small mario by just shaving off a few pixels, I THINK you would need to pick bigger alternatives!

Faruga likes this.
  19. Mitewing

But it's not true to the original game if altered.

20. CowboyJoseph64

yeah, true, but... god damn it, this will never work properly!