Request Mario (SMB3) Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Crownjo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Hey this is the first time I made a topic. No I am not gonna piss on everyone like someone thinks. Plus I like these fun debates because it keeps a forum going and stuff...

So you might be thinking. Why make another Mario his own character?

Look at that sprite sheet and it got me thinking. I think he is better as his own character because he is way too different to be a skin. He has his own unique physics and ability's to simply be a skin.

He can grab shells. How cool is that?

How would his power ups work?

He can get a Mushroom and the third item can be random. So you might get the following items.

Fire Flower
    Raccoon Leaf
    Tanooki Suit
    Hammer Suit
    Frog Suit

Skins? got that covered.

Mario (SMB3) 8-bit/16-bit, Luigi (SMB3) 8-bit/16-bit

Q and A's!

Q: But you hated Zelda II Link but posted this?

A: Jay doesn't like that Link. He is slow and clunky. Besides The Link we have now kinda fights like him. Only with Zelda I items which made him into a better character. However at least this character would be you know "FUN" Plus he can do more.

Q: Frog Suit sucks!
    A: Of course it does. It's like the joke item. Your fault if you picked it up. At least you can use it on the water levels... Right?

Q: So why suggest this?
    A: Because if SMB Mario and SMB2J Luigi got all these items it would become like MKF where Classic/SMB Mario can get the Raccoon Leaf and grab stuff. Destroys the idea of the whole accurate thing for SMBC.

Q: But what if this idea ends up as a feature. Will you get angry?
    A: No but we can talk about the gameplay if it ends up on SMBC in any form.

Some will love this idea and some will hate this and I am fully aware. I don't know where this will take in the future of SMBC. But at least it's a good topic to talk about.

<3

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I know I've said this in other threads before, but since this one is specifically about SMB3 Mario I might as well say it here: I think that rather than SMB3 Mario being a separate character, there should be an "SMB3 Mode Cheat" that is unlockable and gives Mario and Luigi their SMB3 running and jumping physics, the ability to bounce high off of enemies' heads ("Goomba Springboard"), and the ability to hold shells.
    However, I also think they should be left with just the Fire Flower, as the other power-ups are just superlative for SMB. The Hammer Suit is unneeded in a game without Thwomps or Boos (and the danger of Buzzy Beetles is greatly reduced by being able to pick up their shells), flight in levels that don't scroll vertically would just be sad (especially in underground and castle levels, which are way more cramped than similar levels in SMB3), and I don't think I really have to say anything about the Frog Suit.
    I think that a cheat is better than a separate character for four reasons: one, you can use them with all the existing Mario and Luigi skins (anyone else notice that the Mario and Luigi skin templates already have shell-holding sprites?), two, it can be unlocked by a specific condition -- maybe beating the game as both Mario and Luigi? -- three, it would require one new cheat instead of two new characters (SMB3 Mario and SMB3 Luigi), and four, it just doesn't make sense to have a separate character who is just a different version of an existing one (Luigi and Bass are explicitly different characters from Mario and Mega Man, but Mario is Mario).

Jdaster64 and uglyrodent like this.
  3. Crownjo

Seems reasonable. But he would work better as his own character due to powerups and such. I mean would it really bother you that much if he made it in as his own?

Well here's the thing. Alot of other characters superlative as well. But it doesn't bother me a bit. The Hammer Suit would be fun with the way you can fight enemy's. So I gotta say you are wrong on that... The Tanooki suit's flight.... Maybe it would be better without it? It would still be a awesome powerup.

Haven't you notice that very Mario template is all SMB3? And also why have it as a unlockable cheat when you can have it right away? Plus SMB3 Luigi would be a skin of SMB3 Mario. Also why even think my suggestion would be two characters. Didn't you read my topic at all...?

4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

The template uses SMB3 because it's 8-bit and best showcases the actions Mario can take. Level Skin template used the All-Stars sprites, but it doesn't mean that's the "correct" one.

Also, SMB3 Luigi would end up as his own character in all likelihood. Before Luigi was announced a lot of people said he would just be a skin for Mario, and assuming SMB3 Mario gets in I'm assuming we'd be looking at the same scenario.

Although Theoman, Luigi's not horribly difficult to add. He has slightly modified physics, but since Jay already has all the changes from Mario's basic gameplay documented a SMB3 Luigi counterpart would probably take less than a day to implement (without bug testing).

5. Crownjo

Just boggles me when it's SMB3 Mario as the main template.

6. x3point14

x3point14 Level 6: Lakitu

COPIER RAGE I posted this idea in a thread Lololol. Jk I thought this was a great idea though.

7. TheomanZero

Er . . . yes. That's what I meant when I pointed out that Mario already has shell-holding sprites. That's why it would work well as a cheat -- the current Mario already has all the sprites he needs, so we wouldn't need a new character with a different template.
    He's just like SMB1 Mario, but better in every way. Something like this, you should have to earn.
    I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you meant that there would also be an SMB3 Luigi. But apparently you were planning to make poor Luigi a skin with gameplay identical to Mario, rather than having his signature higher jump and lower friction. Shame on you.

Jdaster64 and uglyrodent like this.
  8. Crownjo

At least I am not the only one.

Not sure how you were giving me the benefit of the doubt. But how about this. SMB3 Mario and Luigi can still be separate characters but share the same slots where Mario and Luigi are. Is that better?

9. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

No, that's worse. It doesn't make any amount of sense to have two characters on the same slot.

10. Crownjo

Ugh it's hard to please people. Is this what game development like?

TheomanZero likes this.
  11. TheomanZero

I think this is exactly what game development is like.
    Anyway, what I definitely don't want is for Luigi to get stiffed here.

12. Crownjo

I quite agree with you on that. We should think more about this topic later on.

13. TheomanZero

I think the thing that we disagree about the most is that you think Mario (and Luigi) should only have his SMB3 abilities with his SMB3 skin, while I think that they should be available on any skin (correct me if I'm wrong, of course). Apparently the idea of Mario with his SMB1 sprites being able to hold shells really upsets you, which is something I still can't understand. Does it also bother you that SMB2 Luigi can get Fire Flowers?

14. Crownjo

But lets say it does happen. Will I try it? I won't lie. I will. I do respect choices after all. It just kinda bugs me that's all.

Oh..... SMB2 Luigi? I am a bit iffy on that. But since he is a skin of Luigi. I think it's ok. When I first saw him playable in some form I was like WHAT? So I picked up a fire flower and well I kinda laughed. It was funny.

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Does SMB3 Luigi plays different from SMB3 Mario? Because if don't, then would make no sense to make a separate SMB3 Luigi. Look at ProtoMan, it plays very similar to MegaMan (the only thing different is the shield), so it's only a skin, not another char.
    Anyway, SMB3 Mario has a lot of more abilities and items than SMB Mario:

- Hold Shells
    - High Bounce on Enemies
    - Different Physics
    - Leaf, Frog, Tanooki, Hammer Suits. With the new power-up system, this will be handled easily.

To balance, Hammer Suit would throw a hammer each second only, can have only one on screen, and it won't pass multiple enemies (idk if it does on SMB3)
    Frog Suit would jump super high or super long, to replace it's uselessness.
    Leaf and Tanooki Suit can't fly, just float.

Just opinating, nothing serious, but here it is.

16. TheomanZero

I think in the original SMB3, he didn't, but in SMA4, he definitely did. Anyway, what matters here is that SMBC Luigi plays different from Mario, and those differences should be respected in his SMB3 form.

17. TiagoDu

This is because SMBC Luigi is from Lost Levels, and SMBC Mario is from SMB.
    And SMA4 is for GBA, and we are discussing SMB3, for NES, not?

18. Crownjo

Agreed That's the thing. Luigi isn't really being left out. I think a character like SMB3 Mario should be last or something. It's not like I hate Luigi. That's just the game he is from. Who cares if SMB3 Luigi is a skin? It's still Luigi.

19. TiagoDu

I like SMBC Luigi because it has different physics than Mario, but i also like Luigi because is Frickin' Luigi, I don't care if SMB3 Luigi it's same than SMB3 Mario, it's still cool to control him.

20. Crownjo

Well at least SMBC Luigi is well SMB2J Luigi. I can be able to do amazing things I couldn't do with SMB Mario.

Also I think the hammers should pass though enemys because it does in the original game.