Official Maximum Signature Length

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by aliceandsven, Aug 14, 2012.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

NEW SIG LIMIT AS OF OCT. 10TH 2012

200px

Hey everyone

After some discussion with Ryuza and the other mods it was decided that, to be fair and to maintain a painless browsing experience, a maximum signature length would be implemented. As you probably already know, signatures appear every single time you post, and if someone has a long signature that's quite a lot of space taken up. There's also the issue of signatures becoming so large they take up the entire length of a browser screen (yes, this has happened...)

The current specification is as follows; we are recommending an average signature length of 200 pixels; the absolute maximum is 500 pixels, beyond which the forum software will automatically hide your signature; if you have a lot that you want in your sig but it's beyond this point, you can use spoiler tags.

I believe 500px is very generous, considering that's nearly half the height of a 1280x1024 monitor. The recommendation of 200px doesn't have to be followed, but it would be nice if everyone could consider the general browsing experience and how long signatures can affect that. Just remember the 500px limit so you don't run into any confusion with stuff disappearing.

I drew up a visual guide to help.

sig-guide.gif
    Jeez, look at all of that space... that should be plenty!!

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

500px tall is huge!
    So yeah, it's pretty call that some limit is given to signatures.
    Damn, it's still generous indeed with 500px free-to-use!
    I know that this forum I registered on wastefully doesn't even allow images. :p

Also the guide is pretty well done. Good job.

aliceandsven and twinAgkistrodon like this.
  3. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

500 pixels is still too much. I haven't seen anything big enough for a long time.

aliceandsven likes this.
  4. aliceandsven

Yes 500px is a lot... which is why 200px is recommended.

I've always said that this is a community that doesn't have very many rules, I was hesitant to even suggest this but after actually seeing a signature that covered the entire screen, I realized it was necessary. So I think people still have a lot of freedom to have obnoxious sigs but now there's a line that ensures it doesn't break the browsing experience. That was the main concern.

If you guys think it should be reduced further, let's discuss it here :)

twinAgkistrodon and Rey D like this.
  5. Rey D

Patron

Let's ban signatures.

uglyrodent and twinAgkistrodon like this.
  6. Popper

Popper Level 2: Koopa

Well.. a lot of people ask people to do siggys and avys, when you are putting someone's siggy that you requested them to make in your signature, (Like the one Mario-Fan made for me) It's kind of like buying a piece of art at an art gallery a bit. Is it just me, or does it feel rude or something to ban signatures a little? Although, you guys are on the right track. maybe we should ban it to something reasonably short, like the size of reyd's signature is good length. I will be shortening mine as well. :dtmf:
    BTW, 200 px should be maximum! #lolsnap

7. Rey D

Patron

Haha I wasn't serious when I said to ban signatures. :p
    If I was, that would be pretty ironic since I do use a signature.

Basically, all sigs are authorized, but sigs above 500px tall will be hidden. 200px and shorter is recommended.

twinAgkistrodon likes this.
  8. twinAgkistrodon

twinAgkistrodon Level 5: Spiny

EDIT: Ninja'd, and disproving my entire post. XD

But you have a signature...
    Wait, was that a joke?
    Knowing you, probably not. :p
    I don't really care that much, it wouldn't really affect me, but how about being able to have a page long thing on your profile page?
    Like a status, but slightly more permanent and much longer/bigger.
    Then you could still have a "signature", you would just have to refer people to your profile page to see it.
    But signatures are generally considered an important part of foruming so...

(And yes, I liked it because it was a joke, not because I actually want to ban sigs.)

9. Popper

Popper Level 2: Koopa

DERP :awesome: I'm derpyhooves. But still, min. 200 px #lolsnap

10. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Is mine fine? Because if anyone complained about my signature being to big, after so many hours of tweaking, I swore that I was going to fricking RAGE.

twinAgkistrodon likes this.
  11. Rey D

Patron

It's, like, 350px tall.

12. Captain Knight

That was the biggest sigh of relief that I have had this whole month.

And then I realized these forums is so momentous of my life XD.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  13. Rey D

Patron

captknight_sig.png

Captain Knight likes this.
  14. doom

doom Level -1: Banned

my signature is obviously fucking humungous.

15. Omicron

May i suggest using a table to have your sig have half the size? My sig is a perfect example, i used to have a 200px gif in it and 5 links in the same 200 px.

16. aliceandsven

good idea

17. Omicron

Announcement:
    I can make table signatures on request. PM me if you're interested.

twinAgkistrodon and aliceandsven like this.
  18. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I've found that when spoilers in signatures are opened, after 500px, the contents are hidden.

Omicron and aliceandsven like this.
  19. Captain Knight

Since you obviously put it in that you can't put in a 500px sig even if I wanted to, my spoilers won't show. Can you make the spoilers showable? They're only spoilers, you don't HAVE to see them.

20. aliceandsven

That is not something I can do, you'll have to talk to Ryuza and see what is possible on this software.