Mega Man 9 Weapon for Mega Man/Bass

Discussion in 'Features' started by sbq92, Mar 10, 2012.

?

Which MM9 weapon should replace Magma Bazooka?

1. Black Hole Bomb

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Concrete Shot

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Hornet Chaser

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Jewel Satellite

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Laser Trident

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Plug Ball

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. Tornado Blow

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I've run the idea past Jay of having a weapon other than Magma Bazooka represent Mega Man 9, and he didn't seem opposed, so the idea is certainly out there. The question remains, however: which weapon should be used instead? I'll share some reasons why I think a different weapon should represent MM9, but I also thought it would be a good idea to get some community input on this matter.

I think that while Magma Bazooka is a good weapon, a different should be chosen, the main reasons being a) Mega Man already has Flame Blast as a fire weapon, and b) Jay has stated he was having trouble getting the charging to work properly (it does charge differently than the Buster). Also, related to a), the colors of the weapon are already pretty much already represented by Flame Blast.

I have a few thoughts on which weapons could replace Magma Bazooka. I would choose from among Laser Trident, Plug Ball, and Tornado Blow.
    • Laser Trident would be a lot of fun because it pierces through enemies as it damages them--even when it doesn't kill them. This weapon is my preference. It's fast, simple, and effective.
    • Plug Ball travels along the ground and up around surfaces. This would be a lot of fun. A minor drawback is that the color is already very similar to Charge Kick, though Jay could probably change that (he already has for a couple of the weapons).
    • Tornado Blow would also be a lot of fun, since it gives you a boost in jump height. The "drawback" is that it may be too powerful, as it hits all enemies on the screen. However, you're rarely completely surrounded anyway, so there are only a few instances where it would actually be a screen clearer.
    What are your thoughts? Keep in mind the power level of the weapon. I've listed all of them in the poll, but some may simply be too powerful to even be considered, or they may simply be a repeat weapon type (like Jewel Satellite as a shield weapon--we already have Water Shield).

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

As great as the Laser Trident is, I'm gonna vote for Plug Ball, since it's just more distinctive. Laser Trident is basically like the Buster, but better. Plug Ball has a unique behavior that could be useful (especially for Bass, who can't shoot through walls), and it's sort of an upgrade of the Bubble Lead/Search Snake/Wind Storm, so it'd be like representing those, too. Plus, we don't have an electric weapon yet.

3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I actually kind of like Magma Bazooka. But if Mega Man will never have a 9 weapon because it's too much work, then I guess there's no other option...?

concrete shot would be a fun partner to Power Arm. Actually, that would be super great for trapping enemies, and maybe keeping bowser away? How about giving it the ability to seal the top of piranha pipes, to emulate how it sealed the lasers or whatever in 9? There just has to be some way to destroy the blocks in case you trap yourself. Maybe power arm can pick them up?

Laser trident isn't really that unique, it's a forward moving projectile which is what mega man already has without any weapons.

hornet chaser would be nice but only if it can go pick up items and such (that's what it did in MM9 right?)

black hole bomb pulled projectiles towards it, right? That would be cool as well.

mega man already has rush coil, and full screen weapons are just boring

Plug ball doesn't seem very useful

4. sbq92

Good points regarding the Laser Trident. It is rather bland. I suppose Concrete Shot may be a better option, provided it turns enemies into blocks upon killing them (in fact, it would have to in order to actually be Concrete Shot). That could be interesting for speedrunning purposes. I also hadn't considered the connection with Super Arm. Jay would have to make it so the concrete blocks don't disappear when switching weapons, and then Mega Man could pick up and throw the blocks! :D

I do think Plug Ball would useful, or at least fun and unique. I don't find Water Shield particularly useful, but it is fun and unique, and it's in the game, even though there are plenty of more useful MM10 options available. I think Plug Ball would probably be more useful than Water Shield. Plug Ball could also be added in the sheet to have different directions represented, so it could be skinned by weapons like Search Snake and have the snake go up and down along surfaces.

5. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

I really gotta say Bee Chaser. It seems useful.

6. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Black Hole Bomb. He NEEDS a bomb like weapon, not another fire based one.

7. aliceandsven

Plug Ball would be pretty much useless in too many places, like all of 1-3 basically, and any level with lots of pits.

8. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Hmm, this gives me an idea for another thread . . .

9. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I was actually thinking Search Snake should be in the game instead of Hard Knuckle the other day.. ..so I'll go with Plug Ball here.
    >.>

10. BassWins

BassWins Level 6: Lakitu

I can't chose just one... I like Hornet Chaser & Plug Ball too much...

Edit: *sigh* I just picked Hornet Chaser 'cause I like it a little bit more..

11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You could've allowed multiple votes...

12. sbq92

Further thoughts on Concrete Shot:

It would be great for speed runs/time attacks if the Concrete Shot "glitch" were to be implemented. I can't seem to find a video that uses it (despite having seen it tons in the past...), but basically, if you turn an enemy into a concrete block, and Mega Man occupies the same space as it (i.e., by running through/under it while it's forming), then Mega Man gets pushed forward out of the block. It's one of those things that would help save maybe a couple of seconds over all if it's used well, and that's actually a pretty big deal when it comes to speed runs and time attacks. :)

If I find a video, I'll edit this post.

EDIT: I've found a video that shows what I'm talking about, though it is only one instance.

13. aliceandsven

That sounds like a good TAS technique. Has anyone TASed the wii games yet?

14. BassWins

Yes, here is the Megaman run....

And here is the Bass run....

No Protoman run has been done yet.

aliceandsven likes this.
  15. sbq92

Nice, but these are MM10. What about MM9?

16. BassWins

Only trailers for an MM9 TAS have been made. here they are....

Edit: here is the first one, with pauses edited out....

Edit 2: Here is the guy's channel where I found these. Also, here is the author's comments (for the MM10 :Mega Man: run). And here is the :bass: author's comments

sbq92 likes this.
  17. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

for reasons twofold, I would say tornado blow, not because of it's ability as a weapon, but for it's usage as a utility. I like utility abilities overall, like magnet beam, the rush stuff, super arrow...stuff that isn't necessarily used to attack enemies, since we've got a bunch of those already. but to add that little bit of jump height, it could be useful. and since it's from 9, if you're fast enough to conjoin it with rush coil you could get some wicked height. plus something besides hard knuckle to deal with armoured enemies would be useful.

but the other reason is the wind mechanic in general. if adding lost levels in the future, the wind mechanic is used there, right? so adding it to a weapon as well could be fairly easy. not to mention how many more jumps and such would then be POSSIBLE with the added jump height.

but besides that, i would've said jewel sattelite if not for the mm10 weapon. J.S. was, IMO, the BEST defensive weapon in the classic series. Leaf shield 2.0. I would've probably picked a different weapon for mm10's rep, if it had been my choice, but that's just me :3

18. ThomasMink

Never understood why Leaf Shield gets all the praise that it does. As a shield, it locks you in place. The instant you move, it flies out in whatever direction you press.
    For that, it's probably the best offensive defensive weapon, but.. yea. I always liked Star Crash myself. It combines, for the most part, the abilities of the shields that came before it. Leaf Shield, in that it can be fired.. and Skull Barrier, in that you can run around with it active.

Granted, the shield abilities are generally subpar anyway.. but.. that's just my take.

(Never played MM9 or 10.. so yea.. also don't remember much about 7)

TheomanZero likes this.
  19. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

well in all honesty, i only say leaf shield because i'm simply most familiar with MM2, and you're definitely right in it isn't that great simply for the lack of movement. though i don't like star crash because IIRC it goes away once it's hit once, and that durability is really useful. of course, I could be wrong, since I haven't played 5 in some time.

ThomasMink likes this.
  20. ThomasMink

I honestly don't remember much about Star Crash myself.. except that you can run around with it and shoot it. Also dunno how Leaf Shield works when it gets hit because I only ever used it to clear those drill things that appear in narrow passages.. and ride those platforms with the.. uhh.. tellies, I think they're called.

Oddly enough, Leaf Shield is probably the one I use the most out of all the shields... guess that says something there that I never really thought much about before.