Mega Man 9 Weapon for Mega Man/Bass

Discussion in 'Features' started by sbq92, Mar 10, 2012.

?

Which MM9 weapon should replace Magma Bazooka?

1. Black Hole Bomb

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Concrete Shot

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Hornet Chaser

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Jewel Satellite

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Laser Trident

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Plug Ball

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. Tornado Blow

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Leaf Shield is definitely one of the better shield weapons, although it's still low-end. I do remember playing MM5 a little while ago and thinking Star Crash was actually a decent shield weapon. I don't remember why, though. :p

Junk Shield and Jewel Satellite are easily the best shield weapons (Jewel Satellite for its strength and Junk Shield for its strength and ability to carry over into other screens).

I suppose a tiered list of shield weapons might look something like this:

Jewel Satellite (strong, doesn't disappear when something hits it)
    Junk Shield (strong, but deteriorates as things hits it)
    Water Shield (decent strength, multiple hits, can be fired outward)
    Leaf Shield (decent strength, doesn't disappear when something hits it, can be fired L/R/U/D, but fires when you move)
    Star Crash (okay strength, can be fired L/R/U/D, but disappears when something hits it)
    Plant Barrier (decent strength, but it disappears when something hits it, and it can't be fired)
    Skull Barrier (okay strength, but it disappears when something hits it, and it can't be fired)

I think Plant and Skull are virtually identical. Neither one can be fired, both stay around you as you run, and both disappear upon being hit by a projectile or enemy. I think Plant Barrier might be a bit stronger, though (oddly enough), hence the higher position. Star Crash is a spot below Leaf Shield only because it disappears upon anything hitting it.

In other news, I quite like the ideas for Tornado Blow as espoused by Nitron_ZX. I do still think a screen-clearing weapon would be too powerful, although it doesn't necessarily have to outright kill all the enemies.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

In the Mega Man arcade fighting games, Plant Barrier was changed so it could take three hits before disappearing and then be launched.
    I kind of feel that from Mega Man 2-5, they gradually improved on the shield weapon (first Leaf Shield, then Skull Barrier let you move, then Star Crash let you move AND launch it), but then Plant Barrier felt like a step backward. It took Mega Man 9 and the Jewel Satellite for them to do all the right things at once, plus some new tricks.
    If Water Shield weren't already in the game, Jewel Satellite would absolutely be my choice for the MM9 weapon. As it stands, I voted for Plug Ball, but Hornet Chaser and Concrete Shot are close behind.

3. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

concrete shot could be used well, too. i've used it solely as a platform numerous times. and if it didn't disappear so fast, throwing it with the super arm could be a very neat combo, as stated already.

ah, those megaman arcade games...there actually used to be one near where I lived, 'twas great stuff~

agreed. Leaf shield has it's useful places. I usually use it to guard against those dang birds that drop the eggs, mostly. fun fact:Leaf shield ohko's any enemy native to woodman's stage. found this out because of one hack I played...

yeah, a screen-clearer would be a bit powerful, though you never really need it that badly in smb. perhaps some minor damage instead of blowing enemies away would be better?

4. sbq92

I'd definitely be down for this. Perhaps it could deal 2 damage, which makes even weak enemies take two shots. Upon killing the enemies, however, it would really need to send them flying upwards like the weapon does in MM9.

5. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

Mmm, I could see that being done fairly easy, just a simple variable check before damage.
    would it be able to blow bowser? him being a boss and all.

6. BassWins

BassWins Level 6: Lakitu

Something I would like to point out is if Bowser couldn't be blown away, neither would lakitu(he is at "boss status", not just a normal enemy).

7. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I voted for Plug Ball.. but the utility aspect of Tornado Blow is a pretty good sell for that weapon if LL is ever added.

In the game as it is now, however, Rush Coil is enough.. and even that's not needed at all thanks to the higher jump.

8. sbq92

I think Bowser should be blown away. The ones from worlds 1 through 7 turn into a different enemy anyway, so that enemy could just get blown away, and I think it would be fun to see the final Bowser get blown away. Also, I think it would be strange if Lakitu couldn't get blown away. He's on a cloud, and you're blasting him with wind. :p

Rush Coil has a few uses for speed running. It certainly has no normal necessary usage, but I have found a few places in the game in which having it helps speed up progress through the level.

9. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

Hornet chaser would bring you other items, and even mushrooms.
    There might be a cheat to have the hornet chaser hit the axe when you're on _-4.
    Hornet Chaser would be just awesome in my opinion. Wouldn't it be nice to just sit back with the weapon and just let the hornets grab the stuff FOR you?

10. TheomanZero

Honestly, the more I think about Hornet Chaser, the more I'm warming up to it. It'd be sort of like a hybrid of Link's Boomerang and Sophia's Homing Shells.

11. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I would love to see an easter egg where you can use hornet chaser to get the axe, and if you fall in the game says something like "What the heck were you thinking?"

ThomasMink likes this.
  12. sbq92

Hmm... I'm a bit unsure about the Hornet Chaser. I think it would be fun, but, how would it react to rows and groups of coins? I can understand it picking up power-ups and energy drops, but coins usually come in rows, and the Hornet only picks up a single item at a time, so it wouldn't be overly useful in that case. Coins being collectable would also interfere with the Hornet going after an enemy, unless Jay were to program enemy priority over the coins.

I'm also unsure due to the coloring of the weapon, though. It may not seem like a big deal, but we actually already have a yellow/white weapon (Pharaoh Shot), which was changed from pinkish hues because it was too similar to Charge Kick and Flame Blast, the latter of which was also changed for being too similar in color. I'd like to see a bit more variety in the weapon colors. Concrete Shot with grey would be a bit bland, but a nice change from all the yellows and light pinks, Tornado Blow would be cool with the green, and the purple of Black Hole Bomb wouldn't be too bad, either.

13. TheomanZero

I hadn't really though about this. Perhaps if Hornet Chaser is put in, it shouldn't home in on coins, but will still collect them if it happens to touch them.
    Plug Ball is still my top choice, though. And if you want a weapon with utility function, I think Concrete Shot is a better balance of "weapon" and "utility" than Tornado Blow.

14. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

making the hornet chaser work would be easy

nearest powerup or enemy > coins

After hitting a powerup, enemy or coin -> check for another powerup, enemy or coin within a certain range -> go to it and collect it -> repeat until the check returns false -> go back to player