Mega Man & Bass: Robot Master gameplay differences discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Mitewing, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

With the debut of Quick Man, and the pending addition of Cut Man and Ice Man, I've been brainstorming ways the Robot Masters play and appear than their template characters. Here are two examples and I hope we can brainstorm more ideas.

Robot Master: Metal Man
    Character Base: Bass
    Differences: MM2 weapons, Buster shoots at same speed and rate as Metal Blade, Begins with Metal Blade weapon

Robot Master: Star Man
    Character Base: Mega Man
    Differences: MM5 weapons, Buster shoots "mini Star Crash", Begins with Star Crash (AKA Water Shield) weapon, Extra high jump similar to the low gravity in his level in MM5.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

All of those sound like improvements with no trade-offs. I believe skins are encouraged to be balanced, or at least only slightly better (I think Haggle Man's sword slash is slightly faster, but not enough to greatly impact gameplay).

3. Mitewing

I see what you mean. How about Metal Man's Buster can only fire one shot at a time? And Star Man only has a charged shot and no regular Buster? Nerfing the Buster is a way of balancing starting with a Robot Master weapon.

Alkerion likes this.
  4. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Robot Master: Pharaoh Man
    Character Base: Mega Man
    Differences: MM4 weapons, uncharged Buster shoots up to two uncharged Pharaoh Shots at a time and charging up shoots a Pharaoh Wave, which has a taller but thinner hitbox than Mega Man's charged shot. Also begins with Pharaoh Shot weapon.

5. Mitewing

Good ideas, except currently they are unable to make changes to hit boxes. The Pharaoh Wave can only be visually different at this time.

6. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

I honestly don't think we will ever see every weapon made from several games so I personally would cut out the such as MM2 weapons and such feature, would be cool but most likely always remain just a dream. It would possibly be too much work just for skins but who knows.
    The idea of having it's robot master weapon from start such like Metal Man starts with Metal Blade and Guts Man starts with Super Arm is something I have thought of too. Making it balanced is easy for those, remove charge shot for Mega Man skins and you can only shot forward for Bass skins. If you don't complicate things too much I believe they would be even easy to make too.

7. Mitewing

I know they won't have ever have every weapon, I was just saying if an existing weapon can be skinned to be another (like Star Crash replacing Water Shield for Star Man), that character could start with said weapon.

8. Urutsune

Sorry my misunderstanding. Oh well yeah, though that is kinda obvious. We already have that after all.

9. Mitewing

With the addition of the Screw Crusher, skins can now have a different combination of weapons. I'm trying to brainstorm a way how Gemini Man could be different from Bass and Quick Man. Currently he's the only Robot Master who doesn't play differently.

10. Urutsune

I am pretty sure we only got Screw Crusher because Metal Blades were kinda pointless for Bass since it's function was kinda the same as his basic attack.

11. Mitewing

I know that's the reason, but who's to say a MM skin can't have another weapon replaced for the Screw Crusher?

12. Urutsune

I don't think any more weapon would be replaced. Maybe additional weapon could come but I honestly doubt more replacement.

13. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Screw Crusher hasn't been added as a new skin-based weapon. It was made as a new weapon and all Bass skins use it now instead of Metal Blade. Setting up different weapons for different skins is actually quite complicated. Modifying existing weapons, however, is relatively easy (as you've seen with Ice Man's charge shot, for example).

Also, I have something in mind for Gemini Man, there just wasn't time to implement it for 3.0.

14. Mitewing

So is this why someone like Christine can't start with the Bow/Arrow instead of the Boomerang? It's great to know Gemini Man will eventually be a unique Robot Master like the others.

15. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Yes! This sounds awesome. I would love his default attack to be his laser beam! :D

Edit: Though I am rather fond of his current attack as well

16. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

I have a new idea for Pharaoh Man; he can only shoot two uncharged shots at a time like Proto Man, but his charged shot can pass through enemies like Cut Man.

Mitewing likes this.
  17. Mitewing

And I would love for him to start with Pharaoh Shot, too, since it's HIS weapon. Tweak the damage done if necessary to make him more balanced.

Frozsoul likes this.
  18. Urutsune

I personally was thinking how about Heat Man skin for Mega Man. It would have a very powerful charged shot but his normal shots would be weaker. Pretty basic concept.

Alkerion and Mitewing like this.
  19. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Why must I state how unrealistic this change would be? If that were the case, you could end up losing, say, Rush Coil or something if you try and switch to a different skin.

20. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Fire Man: Plays pretty much exactly like Proto Man. But also crippled when underwater, if possible (slower movement? lower jump? less damage? all of the above?).

Dochobin, Mitewing and MissingNo2 like this.