Mega Man & Bass Weapon Discussion

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Mar 10, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

It's been suggested at least once that Mega Man and Bass have different sets of Robot Master weapons. I'm generally in favor of this idea, since it means twice as many RM weapons would get represented in SMBC, and it would make MM & B more distinct from each other.
    I imagine that Mega Man and Bass would each have one weapon from each 8-bit Mega Man game (like they do now), meaning two weapons from each game would be represented. So, one thing I think we could discuss in this topic is what the second weapon from each game should be. Here are my first thoughts:
    MM1: Rolling Cutter (a no-brainer)
    MM2: Air Shooter (I can't defeat Air Man!)
    MM3: Magnet Missile
    MM4: Flash Stopper
    MM5: Gyro Attack
    MM6: Knight Crush (armor-piercing)
    MM9: Jewel Satellite (I know Magma Bazooka isn't set in stone, but it probably won't be replaced with Jewel Satellite because Water Shield is already in)
    MM10: Chill Spike (but be able to stand on frozen enemies like Samus with her Ice Beam)
    The other thing we could discuss here is how to divide the weapons up. We could just let Mega Man keep all his current weapons and give Bass all the new ones (or vice-versa), or we could try to mix and match the old with the new to get the two most fitting sets (both having one from each game), then decide which set goes with which character. For example:
    Mega Man-------Bass
    Rolling Cutter---Super Arm
    Metal Blade-----Air Shooter
    Magnet Missile--Hard Knuckle
    Flash Stopper---Pharaoh Shot
    Charge Kick----Gyro Attack
    Knight Crush----Flame Blast
    Jewel Satellite--???
    Chill Spike-------Water Shield
    I didn't really put much thought into that, though.
    So, what do you think?

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Based on what Jay has said about how time consuming it is to add new weapons, it seems like they're likely to keep the weapons as they are now (plus a weapon from MM9). However, if Jay were to add new weapons, I would really like to see Bass have the complete set from MM10 (instead of what he has now), and Mega Man could keep what he has now (and perhaps only up to the MM9 weapon, since Bass would have the MM10 weapons, though taking anything away from Mega Man would seem a bit weird).

If they were to both have ten weapons, one from each game, I think you have made some interesting choices. I think Flash Stopper would be a bit too powerful, though. It's pretty much a Stopwatch on steroids. Way too powerful (it's even OP in MM4). I definitely like the idea of Knight Crush. That's a solid weapon, and it could be fun to use in SMBC.

I don't really have a list of my own right now, but I can think about it for a bit.

twinAgkistrodon likes this.
  3. TheomanZero

Well, if it's really a lot of trouble, I don't want to upset Jay . . . I mean, I am happy with the current weapon set.

4. sbq92

I guess this sort of thing is worth discussing, though. It doesn't hurt to have some ideas out there for Jay if he does decide he'd like to add some more weapons. :)

5. TheomanZero

Okay, let's look at that list again:
    Despite what I said before, I did put some thought into it as I wrote it, so here's what I thought:
    • Each of them should get one armor-piercing weapon.
    • Each of them should get one shield.
    • One of them should get Flame Blast and the other Chill Spike (since they're so similar)
    • Mega Man should get Charge Kick since it's based on the Slide (and Bass doesn't Slide)
    • Bass should get Pharaoh Shot so he has a chargeable weapon (Mega Man has his Buster)
    • For the rest, in general, Mega Man should get the more practical weapons, while Bass gets the more powerful ones.
    So what do you think of that logic?

6. sbq92

Your logic makes sense. However, I don't particularly care for the idea of my favorite character (Mega Man) losing my favorite weapon for him (Flame Blast). I suppose it is tricky at this point to be switching weapons and stuff around. The change from 2.0 didn't really mean a loss of abilities for anyone, just a different way of obtaining them. The changes you're suggesting, however, will mean a complete rearranging of weapons that anyone playing 2.0 extensively as Mega Man or Bass have gotten used to. A lot of the skills I'm developing in my practice runs for recording, for example, depend a lot on the weapons currently available to Mega Man (mainly Flame Blast, but most of the weapons do get used to some degree). If things were changed around I'd certainly get used to the new weapon selection, but it would be frustrating to no longer have access to my favorite weapons as my favorite character.

So, I dunno. I do like the idea of them each having a different weapon selection. I don't like the idea of no longer being able to use weapons I had gotten very used to using.

Of course, I know this list is just a suggestion, but the principle remains.

7. TheomanZero

Well, Chill Spike is pretty similar to Flame Blast . . .

8. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Rolling Cutter is awesome... or the Bombs.

And Chill Spike is super awesome, as long as you can places spikes on top of breakable blocks.

9. sbq92

They are quite similar, but there is an important functional difference: Flame Blast damages/kills enemies on contact (i.e., before it hits the ground), but Chill Spike freezes those enemies. If Chill Spike were to be added to the game, it would likely freeze enemies before it would kill them (the shot itself would probably deal less damage than Flame Blast does), thus causing them to take more hits, whereas Flame Blast one-shots some enemies, removing them from your path immediately regardless of whether it was the shot or the flame pillar that hit them. Also, enemies frozen by Chill Spike still hurt you if you run into them (unlike Samus' Ice Beam).

Regarding Chill Spike on breakable blocks, I agree that it would be ideal if it could be formed on them. I also think Flame Blast should actually form the pillar if it hits ? blocks, though it makes sense for the shot to disappear when hitting normal bricks with it (unless it were to be changed so that it couldn't break bricks...hmm...this would also changed my strategies a bit :p).

10. aliceandsven

I don't really like Flame Blast. It's like... it has an interesting functionality... but it lasts for such a short time that the functionality is pretty ineffectual. So it winds up just being an arcing projectile with a fancy animation when it hits the ground.

Chill spike is 100x more functional and it's great in this game, because there are so many enemies that move along the ground.

11. sbq92

True, the pillar doesn't last very long, but I still hit enemies with the pillar a lot. It just takes some practice to know when and where to set it up properly. Also, as a bonus, you don't always need to be 100% accurate to hit enemies with it, since there is always a period of time (however short) in which an enemy can still get hit by it, even when you miss. Using the weapon the way I do, it's a phenomenal weapon. I don't doubt Chill Spike would also be a great weapon, but I really don't think "100x more functional" is an accurate assessment.

12. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

if it were to happen Mega Man should have just the weapons from 1-6 and Bass should just have the 8 weapons from 10.

13. aliceandsven

100x functional, as in it is that much better at creating a "blocking thing".

14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

In another thread, I think it's classic mode, someone brought up bringing back Fire Storm. I think that would be a good idea. Crownjo had a good idea. MM has weapons from 1-6, Bass has weapons from 10. Proto Man could have weapons from 9 if we want to dream.

15. TheomanZero

For the moment, I just want anyone to get weapons from 9. I'm still hoping for Plug Ball.

ThomasMink and MissingNo2 like this.
  16. Mitewing

I agree with the one 9 weapon, whatever that might be.

17. aliceandsven

Plug ball is the one that bounces around right? I think that would be awesome in this game

18. TheomanZero

I think you're thinking of the Strike Ball from Mega Man 10. Plug Ball is the one that's like Search Snake, but faster and it also goes on ceilings.

19. aliceandsven

oh...

might be cool

20. Mitewing

I just had an idea. If we include a different MM Killer weapon (MM 10) with MM, Bass, and PM, give them all Super Arm and Charge Kick, AND use ALL the weapons found in the Weapons archive (MM 10 again), along with the current weapons, we'd be pretty close to having completed Weapons sets! I just had to add one more, which several people have requested anyway. So here's my list...

MM
    Super Arm, Metal Blade, Hard Knuckle, Pharaoh Shot, Charge Kick, Flame Blast, Tornado Blow, Mirror Buster

PM
    Super Arm, Thunder Beam, Leaf Shield, Gemini Laser, Ring Boomerang, Charge Kick, Magma Bazooka, Ballade Cracker

BASS
    Super Arm, Atomic Fire (Homage to SMBC v1), Napalm Bomb, Charge Kick, Slash Claw, Ice Wave, Water Shield, Screw Crusher