Implemented Mega Man: Classic Mode

Discussion in 'Features' started by sbq92, Apr 7, 2012.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

In the same vein as the Classic modes for Samus and Simon, I'd like to request a Classic mode for Mega Man that disables his sliding and buster charging. I realize someone playing could simply just not slide and not charge, but it would be nice if those features could actually be disabled so as not to accidentally slide or charge if you're trying to play classic-style Mega Man (as I have done...).

(I realize this is technically also "modern" mode, since Mega Man can't slide or charge in MM9/10, but Classic is in line with the existing modes of Samus and Simon so it makes sense to call it Classic as well.)

Crownjo, ThomasMink and Mr.Giang like this.
  2. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

What the difference between simon and samus and his/her classic mode?

3. sbq92

Classic Samus can crouch and morph into a ball in mid-air, and Classic Simon has harder air controls.

4. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

You gave me an idea to request Classic Ryu because in Ninja Gaiden, his jump is different to the one in SMCB.
    I like your idea, anyway

5. sbq92

I suppose if several characters end up with Classic modes, perhaps rather than being cheats they should be in the Options menu as "Classic Settings" (or something like that), in which you simply turn ON/OFF the Classic mode for the respective characters in a list.

Mitewing and Mr.Giang like this.
  6. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Er, I think you mean the opposite of that.
    Different how? It might be a bug.

7. sbq92

Doh, you're right. Classic Samus can't crouch and can't morph in mid-air. Classic Simon is correct, though.

8. Mr.Giang

With my bad English, I can't describe it so if you want to know, test it on Ninja Gaiden

9. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Let me guess. Ryu can only climb ladders, but can cling onto the rest?

10. Mr.Giang

I mean his jump, not his wall climb

11. Faruga

Patron

Ohhh, yeah. He slows down when changing direction in mid-air, right?

Mr.Giang likes this.
  12. Mr.Giang

That what I am talking about.

13. sbq92

I'm debating (with myself?) whether or not Ryu's "classic" jump is worth including as a separate Classic mode or as the way he ought to play, but I think I'm leaning toward a separate Classic mode. Simon's only change is mid-air controls and physics, so I suppose Ryu's only could also be mid-air controls.

I wonder, are there any other characters that could use a "classic" style option?

14. Faruga

Patron

Remove the jump for Link.[/kidding]
    Samus' jump isn't accurate. When spinning, she should have similar physics to Bill.
    SOPHIA couldn't grapple ceilings by jumping into them in Blaster Master.

huang17 and Rey D like this.
  15. sbq92

So, when switching directions while spinning, Samus should continue trajectory until the other direction is pressed?

I suppose SOPHIA needs to be able to grapple ceilings in SMBC for it to be a worthwhile addition. I think that's why Jay set it up that way. Otherwise, he would never be able to reach some places, and he would never be able to get onto ceilings in most castle levels.

16. Faruga

Patron

For a "Classic" option.

17. sbq92

Hmm... I'm not sure how well it would work as a Classic option. I guess my point was that it would limit the gameplay quite a bit for SOPHIA, to the point of almost completely nullifying the usefulness of the ceiling grappling item. The ceiling grapple is most often used to help you get up to higher places, by grappling to the ceiling and going up and around. There are very few places in which you need to go underneath from above (which would be the only way to access ceilings), so collecting that item would be borderline pointless if you're playing Classic mode.

18. Faruga

Patron

You could still hide from the Spinies in 6-1/6-2 (can't remember which has Lakitu).

19. sbq92

It's 6-1. Yeah, I guess that's possible, but that doesn't seem like a very worthwhile move. You still have to come out and face the Spinies eventually.

TheomanZero likes this.
  20. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Just how different is Ryu's "classic jump" from his current jump anyway? If it's not that different, maybe we should just change his jump rather than adding "Classic Ryu". I think having two sets of jump physics for Ryu would only be worthwhile if the classic jump is different enough to make playing as Ryu significantly harder.
    On the other hand, SMB has much closer and narrower spaces than anything in Ninja Gaiden, so it's possible Ryu's classic jump simply wouldn't work in SMBC.
    As for Classic Sophia, taking away the ability to jump directly onto ceilings would make the power-up pretty much worthless, so no.

sbq92 likes this.