Implemented Mega Man: Classic Mode

Discussion in 'Features' started by sbq92, Apr 7, 2012.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Ryu's jumping in his games is rather different. Pressing the opposite direction is a lot less effective than it is in SMBC. It's hard to say whether or not it wouldn't work in SMBC. It would certainly make things more difficult, but whether it makes him unplayable is another question.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. Too few instances where SOPHIA needs to reach a ceiling from underneath, too many instances where SOPHIA could usefully reach a platform from underneath.

BTW, I love how this thread has become all about the possibility of Classic Ryu. :p

TheomanZero likes this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Maybe we should split this, to comply with the "one feature per thread" rule.
    Oh, and I almost forgot: With regard to the physics of Samus' spin jump, since there's already a Classic Samus cheat, that could be folded into it.

3. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

HOW ABOUT WE ALL GO BACK TO TALKING ABOUT MEGA MAN.

I don't have a problem with this suggestion, but there are a lot of variations that Mega Man's "default" form has. I think that, at the very least, in addition to "Classic" and "Modern," he should have a mode with Slide activated only--for Mega Man 3.

4. sbq92

There really aren't that many variations, though:
    • No slide, no charge (MM1-2,9-10|GB MM)
    • Slide, no charge (MM3|GB MM2)
    • Slide, charge (MM4-8,MM&B (and MM&B2?)|GB MM3-5)
    The 'slide/no charge' is really only in one game: MM3 (unless you bring in the GB games, in which case I think the GB MM2 has 'slide/no charge' as well).

Overall, there seems to be two main distinctions: 'slide/charge' and 'no slide/no charge'. 'Slide/no charge' is really the odd one out.

All that being said, it doesn't seem like it would be a problem to actually have unique settings for Mega Man (and possibly other characters), such as "Slide: ON/OFF" and "Charge: ON/OFF".

5. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

perhaps it could be best done with a menu thing.
    for example, say there were the options for mega as those, slide on-off and charge on-off. and there's the classic simon and samus cheats. and if there were to be other similar options/cheats, we could move them into their own sub-menu in the cheats/options menu, so there's not a bunch of similar options cluttering the list.

=_=;; this reads so confusing. hopefully it gets my point across though.

sbq92 likes this.
  6. sbq92

I got it. :)

It could easily just be "Character Options" in the main menu, either at the title screen or perhaps even on the in-game menu.

7. TheomanZero

I think each character really only needs two modes: "Classic" (fully faithful to the original) and normal (improved for SMBC). Anything more than that would just be splitting hairs.

8. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Let's get really classic here and take away the high jump (again), making Mega Man use Rush Coil. :D
    (Please note that this suggestion here is roughly 50% sarcastic)

I admit, it would be a huge hassle with the new system and having to swap to Rush all the time.. but eh.

9. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

But using Rush costs MP and if you want using Rush without MP, it won't become classic anymore

10. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Yep that costs Mmmmmmmmmmm......... Mecha Points! :D

Making Mega Man use Rush Coil is, first, annoying ; then when you use all your energy and has to make a jump, you're pretty much fucked. And don't tell me: "Make it have infinite energy" because that pretty much defies the purpose of being "classic", since we've got limited energy bars now.

TheomanZero likes this.
  11. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Indeed.. hence why it was only about half serious. I understand the flaws and why it was changed to the way it is now.

Rey D likes this.
  12. sbq92

I find Mega Man's higher jump actually feels very natural now that Jay has adjusted his physics to match the original games more closely. I actually played v1.0 recently, and Mega Man was sooo "flighty." It was really weird.

I do agree that it would be a lot easier to just keep the settings to just two: "classic" and otherwise. Since only a couple of games had only sliding and no charging, it seems best to stick with 'neither' and 'both'. Besides, it's a lot easier to not charge, even when you're used to charging, than it is to not slide when you're used to sliding. I've had "classic" runs ended because I accidentally slid under a Bullet Bill. I don't think I've had any "classic" runs end due to accidentally charging my buster.

Mr.Giang and TheomanZero like this.
  13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Here's an idea to go with my Protoman thread. Have MM default without charge/slide, make Protoman a separate character only if he gets a working shield, and make current MM with charge/shield an option like Classic Simon and Samus.

14. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Here are my thoughts on Classic vs. Normal. It will require more work but could solve a couple "problems" at the same time. And with Unity coming around, maybe Jay will be willing to put more work into it.

Normal:
    Keep it the way it is right now but maybe with some better weapon choices and balancing across the board. Maybe get rid of Jet and swap it with the Adapter set, which gets swapped in and out similar to Samus' beams, or Ryu's ninjutsu.

Classic:
    No slide, no charge
    Remove R. Coil, Jet and Marine; add M. Beam
    4 MM1 weapons, 4 MM2 weapons
    remove MM9/10 weapons

Classic as fuck!

Seriously I can't believe I never see people talking about M. Beam. It will give people a reason to play Classic in case you're someone who might find not being able to slide or charge to be more boring. It also adds another MM item without overloading your inventory at any one time, and the new weapon set takes care of the desire to see more weapons.

So let's talk about weapons, here's my list:
    MM1 - Super Arm (change it to the behavior from MM1?), Rolling Cutter (piercing?), Power Bomb (piercing?), Elec Beam (no block damage)
    MM2 - I can't remember right now

15. Zarran

Zarran Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

For MM1 weapons, I like aliceandsven's suggestions. I think the power bomb should be piercing, but not the rolling cutter. If I recall Mega Man currently only has one piercing weapon, and that should be true in this classic mode as well.

For MM2 weapons, I suggest the Metal Blade, Leaf Shield, Time Stopper, and Atomic Fire.
    The Metal Blade due to its awesomeness in MM2 and the fact that it's already in SMBC.
    The Leaf Shield would be a somewhat poor replacement for the Water Shield due to the fact that you can't walk with it, but it could still be useful.
    The Time Stopper should behave exactly as it does in MM2, once you use it doesn't stop until it runs out of weapon energy.
    Atomic Fire could be a good substitute for lacking the charge buster.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Different weapons huh? You do realize that you can turn classic settings on and off anytime at all even during a stage right? So what? If you would turn classic off for Mega Man during stage then your weapons would MAGICALLY transform into different ones? Or would you loose them and have nothing? Or would you just not be able to change classic settings for Mega Man during stage? That would be unfair considering others can turn classic on and off anytime at all.
    Sorry but that sounds just bad for me. Such should not be part of classic modes.

huang17, Crownjo and sbq92 like this.
  17. sbq92

I suppose the Classic Mega Man setting could potentially be limited to the title menu, but if not, you're right, this poses quite a problem. I like the idea of just keeping it simple and limited to only affecting sliding and charging.

I do still think other weapons and such ought to be implemented, though, and that you should be able to select weapon sets from the title menu.

Regarding Magnet Beam, as Alice mentioned, it is an awesome utility, but I think it's perhaps too awesome. It could potentially help you bypass huge chunks of the stages very easily. However, I suppose the same goes for Rush Jet: just hop on and bypass much of the stage. Magnet Beam would certainly be fun, but I would suggest that it be part of a MM1 weapon set, rather than part of Classic mode.

18. TheomanZero

Meaning what, exactly?

19. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Jay could limit classic character choices to pre-game menus.

And I meant, instead of the block pieces going up and down, they move forward the same way they do in MM1.

20. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

So basically here is how the weapons would go.

Classic Mega Man (MM1-2) No slide and no charge. Has M.Beam
    Mega Man (MM3-4-5-6) Slide and charge. Has a combined form of Power and Jet Suits from MM6
    Bass (MM10)

Both Mega Man's can still jump high. Mega Man can have 2 weapons each from the 4 games.