Mega Man Debate Topic

Discussion in 'Skins' started by CHAOS_FANTAZY, Jan 12, 2011.

1. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

This topic is for discussing which stages Mega Man should receive for his level reskin sets. As time has passed, this has become more and more of an issue: counting Mega Man and Bass and Mega Man: Powered Up, Mega Man has a total of 86 different Robot Master-based stages. With only a few spots available for reskins, you can see where we run into problems. An ideal solution would be if each stage was reskinned differently--32 of 86 is only a bit more than a third, but still--but that is impractical for programming and designing.

So, with the few spaces we have, decide which Robot Master will represent which area here. Here are the different parts we need:

Overworld
    Platform
    Underground
    Underwater
    Castle
    Sky/Coin Heaven
    Black and White

EDIT: No posts, hm? I'd better rev some discussion engines, before this topic dies...

An Overworld Robot Master would basically be one that doesn't fit into any of the other categories. Having an outside stage would be preferable but optional. Also to be considered is the bridges in a level like World 2-3: Does your Master have anything that could replace the bridge? This could go anywhere from Wood-Man to Hard-Man to Strike-Man.

A Platform Master should be one that takes place in the sky, one that was difficult to navigate because of the jumps one had to make. One that rolls right off is Air-Man, but someone like Tornado-Man could work, too.

An Underground Robot Master should either have an indoors stage or a brick-like theme; if they canonically have breakable bricks, that'd be amazing. An example would be Guts-Man or Stone-Man.

An Underwater Robot Master should obviously be underwater, but really, any stage with below-average gravity would work. Gravity-Man, albeit a strange one, is a candidate for such a position.

A Castle Robot Master should have something to place in all the bottomless pits in the level; ideally, lava. Also to be thought about is the bricks and bridge that Bowser stands on: Does their stage have such a component? An ideal position would be Fire-Man or Heat-Man.

A Sky Master has the same basic idea as a Platform Master, but also, they need a thin, moving platform and possibly something that gives off a secret or celebratory feel--after all, it is a bonus room. Because of his rotating platforms, Tornado-Man could also fill this slot.

It's arguable whether "Black and White" Robot Masters will even be needed. Jay has previously stated that Night stages will merely be the Overworld stages with a solid black background. I think it's a waste of a slot, but I'm not in charge here.

2. Mctazin

Mctazin Level 2: Koopa

I have to say I'm all for wood man for overworld.

3. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Sbq92 has mentioned two problems with Wood-Man for Overworld:
    1: We can't figure out how to manage the background. We want the tress, but we think it wouldn't look good for Overworld.
    2: People will probably get tired of hearing Wood-Man's theme, therefore, we're looking for a Robot Master with a truly golden song, one that people would listen to for hours.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I put together a tileset for Ryuza's Auto-Tiler, and here's what I did:

Overworld: Wood Man
    Underground: Guts Man
    Overworld (White): Snake Man (it looks great!)
    Platform (Mushroom): Bomb Man
    Platform (Green): Air Man
    Platform (White): Gyro Man (green platforms)
    Castle: Fire Man
    Underwater: Bubble Man
    Underwater (Castle): MM5 Wily's Castle 2

For all of them, I used the "?" box from Mega Man III (recolored accordingly) and I used the breakable block from Stone Man's stage for all the levels (recolored accordingly). It looks good, but now that Ryuza has updated his Auto-Tiler I can experiment with some different and more advanced tiles.

As for Wood Man's stage, I'm not entirely opposed to it. I initially was thinking it might be a bit much for a regular stage, but that doesn't necessarily mean we can't do it. It could actually be quite interesting to be running through Wood Man's forested area several times throughout the game. I dunno, it's a tough call. I chose it for my tileset because it is an easy outdoor option. I attempted Cut Man's stage, but it's too blocky for a normal overworld.

Also, regarding finding stages with all the right elements, I don't think it would be a problem to use certain blocks and objects from other stages if need be. I'm using the "?" box for all the stages because it looks good, and same with the breakable block. If there is only one breakable block in the entire 8-bit Mega Man series, why not use it over and over again? We could also simply use the "bridge" from Wood Man's stage everywhere a bridge is needed (2-3/7-3, 3-1...and wherever else).

5. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

I was thinking of something like this:

Overworld:
    Hard Man (III)
    (The first portion with the open sky and mountains in the background.)

Platform:
    Gyro Man (V)

Underground:
    Flame Man (VI)
    (The last underground portion of the stage.)

Underwater:
    Dive Man (IV)

Castle:
    Quick Man (II)

Black and White:
    Ice Man (I)

I was thinking one stage from each of the original games to keep balance. I hadn't really thought about coin heaven though but I'd suggest something like Star Man off the top of my head, something with a spacey background, maybe something from one of the end stages of one of the games?

Anyway, I'll probably make some example skins later to see how they look, it wouldn't take much more then plugging all the tiles into the Auto-Tiler but I'm feeling lazy :p

6. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Mind sharing your tilesets? Seems really silly to just tell us...
    Also, I don't think we need different Platform stages.

It was really bland, because I didn't put in too much effort, but if you look back in some of the first few post of General Discussion, I did Cut-Man's World 1-1.

That could work, but it would look really out of place. I think one of the Black and White stages has a bridge in it--can you justify Wood-Man's bridge in Snake-Man's stage?

No...like I said, Quick-Man doesn't have anything to replace the lava element. His stage doesn't look like a castle, and his song certainly doesn't sound like a castle.

Like I said to Sbq, why didn't you make them before coming here?

7. Ryuza

I was going to put together some stuff but I didn't really feel like it at the moment, I did want to help you conversation going though. Anyway, completely forgot about lava with Quick Man's stage, I do think it might have fit if there were lava though.

The stages don't necessarily have to be the same as the original, some other games will most likely not even be able to get close to the original themes. I just thought Quick Man's stage might fit, but no lava so maybe something else.

8. c2456

c2456 Level 6: Lakitu

For underwater I'd go with Megaman 2 Dr Wily Stage 3.

9. sbq92

Here's my Mega Man tileset. Try it out, let me know what you think. Interestingly, the way this tileset is designed, it works quite well without the 2-tile pattern set I fought so vehemently for. :p However, I did design the tileset the way I did because the 2-tile pattern wasn't an option. Anyway, though, try it out. I'm personally pretty happy with it. :) The only drawback is that it doesn't use graphics from every game.

10. Ryuza

Looks pretty cool and works really well with the AT.

Would you be against me including that as an example sheet in place of my incomplete Blaster Master sheet along with the AT?

11. sbq92

Since you've already included my Mega Man sheet, go ahead and continue to do so. :p I really don't mind at all.

I've tried a couple of your suggestions, Ryuza. Flame Man as an underground stage looks good, but I'm a bit hesitant to use Flame Man's stage for an underground level. My objection, however, is almost entirely based on the name of the robot master the stage is based on, so it's not necessarily a valid objection. :p

The other level I tried was Dive Man. I personally found it didn't look very good. His level is a bit too complex for the simplicity of the underwater tiling. Bubble Man's stage still looks the best, IMO.

I haven't tried Hard Man for the normal overworld yet. It could work, but his blocks might be a bit finicky, even with the 2-tile pattern in place. I'll have to give it a try.

12. CHAOS_FANTAZY

I don't think we plan to use Wily Castle at all, but still, I'm interested in how it would look. Could you cook up an example for us? Remember, there are no stupid ideas...unless they don't make any sense.

Looks pretty good, but there are a few things I would personally add.
    -Jay said that by changing the Castle at the end of each level into an interaction object, the "Light/Wily" doors in my level redesigns could be used. Why don't you have any sort of castle graphic?
    -The Magnet Beam power-up from Mega Man 1 makes for a decent moving platform.

13. sbq92

I wasn't aware Jay had said that. I just wasn't sure what to do for the castle graphics, so I left them out.

Good call on the magnet beam. I hadn't thought much about the little graphics, so I hadn't included them yet. I'm still fiddling around with some of the stage graphics, though. I've attempted Hard Man for the overworld and Flame Man for the underground, and both look decent, although Hard Man's stage has a lot of strange blocks for the ground which make it difficult to incorporate properly. It does look decent, though. As I said in my last post, using Flame Man's stage for the underground feels somewhat wrong, but it does look pretty good, so it's quite possibly worth keeping.

14. Bill R.

Bill R. Level 3: Paratroopa

I think this:
    Land: Cutman.
    Snow: Iceman or Pharaohman.
    Castle: Fireman.
    The rest of the musics I think are OK.

15. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

Overworld - Toppppppppppppppppppsthahahahahaman!!!!
    Underground - Hard-hahahaha-Ma-hahahahaha-MAN
    Sky - Tornadoman
    Bridge - Woodman
    Castle - Fireman
    Black n' White - Chillman
    Underwater - Splash Woman

16. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I found this page when I did a Google images search for Mega Man tilesets. I just want to throw my two cents. I think that each Mega Man skin set should only represent 8 Robot Masters for each of the 8 worlds. Lost Levels could add the Wily Castles. The Robot Masters could be based on individual games or themes, like a world for each weapon represented. Each type of stage representing a different Robot Master doesn't flow well and doesn't follow the original games.

17. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Here's my idea; the eight worlds represent the masters that Mega Man and Bass can get weapons from in SMBC (plus one more) and the castles being Wily Castles.

So basically the list would be Guts Man, Metal Man, Hard Man, Pharaoh Man, Charge Man, Flame Man, and Pump Man, plus whoever else, with the Wily Castle designed after the game the master came from.

18. Mitewing

That's what I meant but you said it better than I did. Lol

19. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

You mentioned the Wily Castles being the Lost Levels. Which honestly doesn't make much sense to me.

20. Mitewing

I'm talking about Worlds 9, A, B, C, and D. Not the entire game.