Official Mega Man: Get your gamepads ready!!

Mega Man, from Mega Man, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I dunno if anyone realized, but the Game Boy sprites are from Rockman Battle & Fighters, a Neo Geo port of the arcade games.

sbq92 and uglyrodent like this.
  2. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Too OP, I guess. But would be awesome.

3. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Most of the characters are OP as it is. But it's the fun that counts. But when Mega man wears the armor. He can't slide.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Protoman is at least. Mega Man looked like his graphics are from the GB games, but I could be mistaken.

I enjoy that most of the characters are OP. I assume they're all being rebalanced in some way or another as of 2.0, but still a huge part of the charm of SMBC is being able to blast your way through SMB with characters that are simply too powerful for the SMB world. Jay of course had to tone down all of the characters so they weren't one-shotting every enemy, but even not being able to one-shot the enemies, Bill, for example, can just stand and gun most of them down. It's awesome. :)

5. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

You mean like the Super Adapter from MM7?

6. Crownjo

No the adapters from MM6 were very different.

7. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

As Crownjo said, he mean the MM6 ones. One of those is his avatar, the power adapter.

8. Crownjo

Look closer... ;)

Well if you at my avatar it's what Power Jet Mega Man would look like. The chest is based off the jet adapter.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  9. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

But the Super Adapter had both a jet pack and a rocket punch . . . isn't that basically a combination of the Jet Adapter and the Power Adapter?

10. Crownjo

Do I really need to explain? Basically Power Jet Adapter plays just like Power Adapter only you are able to use the Jet. Super Adapter is very different.

11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The Super Adaptor is essentially a nerfed combination of the Jet and Power adaptors. It still has a strong punch, but it can't break bricks, and it can still fly, but only for short bursts. It is still quite good, but it really doesn't compare to what a true combination of the two would be.

12. Crownjo

It's really simple. It's the Power Adapter with Jet like the Jet Adapter. No one has ever made this yet.

13. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I don't recall ever needing to break things in MM7. Also the range on the super punch is much better. But I liked how the Power Punch could go through shields and knock over certain enemies.

14. Crownjo

Imagine punching Bowser in the face with a charged up punch attack.

15. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

As I mentioned in Link's thread, Mega Man and Link are both in the same boat in the sense that 2.0 gives them a lot of cool toys to play with, except that they all go away if you get hit. For characters like Mario or Bill, this isn't an issue. But remember that nobody else was a one hit-point wonder in the games that they came from, so it would probably make sense for certain things - Mega Man's sub-weapons, for example - to be retained until death.

As for the choice of weapons themselves, some of them strike me as a bit odd. Care was obviously taken to use the more unique weapons that might be useful, such as the charge kick and hard knuckle. But things like the pharaoh shot are pretty much pointless when you have the metal blade, and the flamethrower is also a bit... meh. Again, not too bad overall, but collecting them is completely not worth the fact that they all go away in a single hit.

And because I know this will get brought up, this isn't the sort of issue that I think should be solved just through lowering the difficulty, because that would make a lot of other things easier that shouldn't be. Characters like Mega Man and simply have a lot more going on in the upgrade department, and thus require a bit more generosity in the availability department to not be completely worthless next to someone like Bill, who's basically a one-man wrecking crew in two power-ups or less.

16. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

This is actually extremely true to how SMB worked. When you got the fire flower, you were POWERFUL. You KICKED ASS. And then, taking one shot, you lost it all. The only difference here is that MM and Link get multiple weapons that make them kick ass, but aside from having more ass kicking options they are the same as Mario. So what if they get knocked down to normal? Let's compare:

Mario powers after a hit:
    -Can stomp most enemies (attacks only from above)

Mega Man/Bass powers after a hit:
    -Buster (can shoot any side of an enemy, multiple directions with Bass)

Link powers after a hit:
    -Sword (with four attack directions in air and ground)
    -Boomerang (to make sword easier to use)

Even after "losing everything", Link and Mega Man are still powerhouses. Also, with the abundance of powerups available you can, with some knowledge of where shit it, recover those items pretty easily.

Also, this is more opinion than anything, but I love how you lose everything by getting hit. You can get it back fairly easily, as I said, but more than that you go to a bad ass to being comparatively weak. It gives you more of an incentive not to get hit, especially if you've built up a bunch of items.

17. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

If you don't want to lose everything, play on Very Easy or Easy.

Also, fuck Megaman and the horse he rode in on (the.. jet he flew in on?) Bass is here and is much more of a badass mudafucka than Megaman. Plus Bass doesn't get stuck in 3-3 and 8-1 and doesn't need those wussy "help me I suck ass and can't get out of here" platforms.

Plus he can seven-way-fire his weapon. Mega Man just sits there grooving on it.

Suck a fat one Megaman! You've been replaced!

18. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Things Bass does not have:
    -Charge shot
    -Bullets that individually do non-shitty amounts of damage
    -Stays two blocks high when sliding (yes, it's dashing, but it's the same button input and movement)
    -Cannot do repeated slides (when you mash the buttons to slide for MM, he will keep going with slight pauses, but Bass will jump)
    -Moving while shooting
    -Boob Lights (Mega Man doesn't have them either but Zero does and everyone agrees he is a badass :p )

World 1-1 likes this.
  19. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

I do not like the pausing thing. In 1.2.03 you could glide the entire length of a floor. I would love that back. As it is you can't slide across one block wide pits reliably, because you might just come to rest over a hole.

The charge shot bites anyway (it was better in 1.2.03 under the old powerup system when your shots became fire)

The dash thing, okay, I give you that

Moving while shooting: Jump and aim gun :p

Okay, you gotta help me out on Boob Lights...

20. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

That wasn't quite my point. What you are describing is more how I see Ryu, Belmont, and Bill to an extent. Power any one of those characters up, and they are wrecking crews. Take away their power-ups and, with the exception of Bill, they're dead in the water.

Where Mega Man and Link differ is that they're both pretty decent even without any power-ups. The trouble is that they both have a *lot* of power-ups (far moreso than the "mushroom -> fire flower" progression of the original), and what they get out of them makes them not really worth it.

Also, I mentioned in some other topic, I forget which, that this is *not* the sort of issue that I think shoudl be solved by playing on a lower difficulty, because that would affect a lot of other things aside from just this one particular behavior.

Bass is, quite frankly, a bad Mega Man knockoff in a world that already *has* a Mega Man knockoff. There is absolutely no excuse for his existence, in this game or otherwise.