Official Mega Man: Get your gamepads ready!!

Mega Man, from Mega Man, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

That just goes to show how much the wiki is proofread. I'm taking the liberty of proofreading through all the character wiki pages and editing them according to 2.1.

EDIT: Seems I can't edit Simon's powerups for some reason. The information doesn't show up in the editing section.

EDIT2: I can't edit Ryu's either. That's strange. Maybe that information is locked, where only moderators can edit?

EDIT3: Done. The character information should be updated to 2.1, with the exception of Simon and Ryu's powerups, since I can't seem to edit them.

elim and TheomanZero like this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

They should be editable...

3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Ryu's and Simon's powerups are, for some reason, on a sub-page or something. I don't quite remember how I managed to get there.

4. aliceandsven

Yeah I checked too and the edit page wasn't showing anything except the Mushroom and Starman

5. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

Alright, I found those associated subpages and edited them accordingly. I wonder why those two are in subpages but the other characters aren't.

Also I found out something new while playing, I edited that in to Ryu and Sophia's pages. Read closely and you'll see it.

6. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

I imagine this has been brought up before, but Mega Man *desperately* needs a sub-menu for his weapons. They're not useful enough to justify scrolling through them while the clock is ticking to get the one you want, and it really tends to limit his character.

Also, while I enjoy that Mega Man starts with the Rush Coil now, I miss his old mechanics where it was assigned to his "special" key and was an integral part of his jumping mechanics (since he used to only jump as high as he did in his own game). It made his movements feel much mroe calculated and deliberate; the way he handles nowadays just doesn't feel like Mega Man anymore... which is a shame, because I really liked him pre-2.0.

There's also the matter of his weapon choice, which in all honesty could probably be dealt with by adjusting their powers rather than giving him new weapons (as much as I'd like to see the Magnet Missile or Search Snake make an appearance). I haven't played with him much in 3.0, so I'll hold off judgement on that for the time being.

7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

A sub-menu for weapons would slow down gameplay way too much. Even if some people are used to it, most people likely aren't. Also, none of the other characters has to bring everything to a halt to switch weapons, so it would make playing Mega Man more of a chore than anything.

We changed the way Rush Coil works for the same reason. Having to stop and summon him at every moderately high jump was too annoying. It was a cool idea, for sure, but in practice it just slowed things down for him too much.

The weapons have been rebalanced multiple times. It is difficult to find a way to make them useful without having them become too powerful. Mega Man already has a huge range advantage, with shots that travel the entire screen and that can be shot very rapidly. Buffing his weapons too much would make him overpowered.

Rey D likes this.
  8. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I find them useful enough to take 0.1 to 2 seconds to select it.
    A select screen would increase the faithfulness towards Mega Man, but it's also a change of menu managing system regarding SMBC.

In Mega Man games, you wouldn't need Rush to jump most of the time. You could just rush through without having to select Rush most of the time.
    Moreover, In Mega Man games, you have to select Rush and press B to summon it ; there wasn't a button for Rush.
    Therefore, saying hindering Mega Man's movements to his old-SMBC gameplay would make him be more Mega Man doesn't make much sense.

9. BTB

While I don't necessarily agree, I see your point, realize that it is very likely the majority opinion, and respect it.

In light of this, I propose a compromise that might satisfy both parties: would it be possible to have tab cycling active when the game is paused? My major complaint here is that I need pause time to switch weapons. Even in games like M3 where I'm very familiar with the weapons and know exactly what to use and where, I need that split second to switch to a weapon rather than count out cycle clicks.

Yeah, you have a point. Still, even though summoning Rush frequently wasn't necessarily more faithful to the original games, it felt that way. What I particularly liked was that Rush had a separate summon button, which meant that you could shoot and call him separately, making using the coil *much* more convenient since you didn't have to select it and have gimped shooting controls (i.e. you're calling him every time you fire) while he was selected. All in all, I just feel that the Rush coil functionality felt more natural and easy in pre-2.0 versions.

This is the sort of thing where I'd suggest an option for "classic" Mega Man jumping, but I imagine that would involve someone agreeing with me on assigning summoning Rush to a different button other than shooting.

10. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Personally, I'm in favor of having both cycle buttons and a menu. In fact, my ideal Mega Man control scheme would be:
    (New button): Cycle left through weapons
    (New button): Cycle right through weapons
    Select: Weapons menu
    Special: Cycle through Rush Adaptors
    (The idea of a button for Rush Adaptors comes from Mega Man 8 and Complete Works/Anniversary Collection, where L1 and R1 cycle through weapons and L2 and R2 cycle through "utilities".)

11. BTB

He's still only got the Coil though, right? I'm down with what you're suggesting, except just have the special button summon Rush.

12. TheomanZero

Marine and Jet are planned to be added later.

13. BTB

Ah, I see.

Well, in any case, the main idea is that you can have Rush available to summon at the immediate press of a button without having him be immediately summoned every time you fire. Adding in more special buttons may be a bit too much to ask for a single character... perhaps Up+Fire or Down+fire (neither combo is used by Mega Man) could be the "Summon Rush" trigger?

14. TheomanZero

I'd kind of like to keep it faithful to the games.

15. BTB

Yeah, I can understand that. My point is just that the way it worked in the original games was, well, clunky, which is why Rush never got used a lot (particularly in combat-intensive situations, where he's likely to see use here), and I certainly wouldn't object to a control adjustment that made it easier to use.

I really think the main lesson to walk away from a lot of these discussions with is that you can put pretty much damn well whatever you want in a game like this, but it's best to make as much of it as possible optional or configurable.

16. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Are they?

Mitewing likes this.
  17. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I've been in support of a pause menu for swapping weapons since they were added into SMBC. It's the system I grew up with and it's the one I always use, even in the games that have L/R swapping.. like MMX.

'Slows down the gameplay' sounds... horribly weak to me. Better to just say it's the majority opinion that a menu isn't needed. I fully admit to my unwillingness to adapt to this 'on-the-fly' swapping. :)

18. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

You're right. There's hasn't been an official yes or no from the team regarding ANY of the unused abilities of ANY of the characters, not just Mega Man. I hope we receive some kind of confirmation soon.

Faruga likes this.
  19. BTB

Just played around a bit on the new maps as Mega Man, and I'm *definitely* championing some form of easier access to Rush (as well as possibly reducing the amount of energy the coil uses, since I almost ran out in an area that I would've been marooned in had I done so). When all you have is just the regular gun, switching to Rush and using him is easy. When you have at least one sub-weapon, it becomes a royal pain in the ass.

Starting from the top, I suppose the MMX-style weapon switching seems to be the best idea pitched so far, which would allow both hot-switching in mid-game and then either a sub pause menu, or just allowing hot-switching to occur while paused. This, unfortunately, would occupy both "special" buttons (for both forward and backward switching), so you'd either have to add another button to "hot summon" Rush or use an up+fire combo. The up+fire has been dismissed as unfaithful to the original game, but personally I would look to Ryu and Simon as an example - both can now use a hotkey for attacks that required up+fire in their own games, and I haven't seen anyone complain about that because it's so convenient.

That said, I'm really fine with either solution, or perhaps something else I'm not thinking of. The bottom line is that I used Rush a lot in 1.3 because he was so convenient and easy to use, and I really want that convenience back. Having him function as he does in the original Mega Man games means that he gets used about as often as I use him in the original Mega Man games (i.e. never).

20. aliceandsven

The rush coil is already at the minimum energy use (1 point) unless they are able to go even lower... but I think that's kind of ridiculous. THen again I haven't really played through Special with Mega Man yet.

Remember you can press Select + Special or whatever at the same time to go straight back to the buster.