Request Megaman X

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Paul Vincent Larcena, Jan 17, 2012.

1. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

That wasn't quite the point. The slopes from that game were what I was referring to. That's the biggest level design change implemented into Megaman X from the original series. It was done to better suit the new dash mechanics so you could rise in elevation without having to stop dashing so that the level flows better with it. This guy does a better job at explaining that than I do:

2. SVR

SVR Level 2: Koopa

Ah.

Okay I saw the explanation and your right.
    Thinking more about it X would not fit in SMB1. Sure he could be put in but he would be out of place.
    If X does make it into a SMBC, it would have to be for Super Mario World.

But If he made it into a SMWC would my inital plan fit?

3. silentshadowxp

I was expecting to have to talk about how SMB1's levels aren't suited for X's gameplay style, but I'm guessing the video helped you realize that. Again, I still think that even Mario 3 would be a decent fit because it has slopes and stuff you could actually wall climb, but Mario World would be good as well.

As for your previous ideas, I do believe that with a little tweaking they would actually work quite well in a game that is actually better suited to support dashing and wall jumping.

Side note: I personally love the first Megaman X, and would actually be pretty happy to see X in game. I just don't think the game itself is well enough suited to showcase X's abilities.

4. SVR

Although the video made me LMFAO, the message was clear. There was a reason that MMX was on the Super Nintendo and not the Original Nintendo.

Answer with your honest opinion: Did you think that I was going to make an attempt to keep the idea of putting X in SMBC.

Side note: I can be thick headed when I want to be but I know when I need to keep an open mind.

5. silentshadowxp

I did think you would actually lol, but the level design argument wasn't just to you, but rather a statement I wanted to make in general. You just so happened to be the one I was talking about it with so I directed towards you. I didn't want to edit my post and that statement be missed, so I was going to wait until you posted again so I wouldn't double post, but you achieved that level of understanding before I could even say it. :p

And it's good to keep an open mind. There's way too many people on the interwebs who just seem to not understand logic (those people tend to annoy me sometimes :p)

Also, I heart that video (both from the comedy aspects and the game design philosophy). I've watched it more times than any other normal person would, I was actually kind of glad to have the opportunity to use it :p

6. SVR

Well I'm glad I could be of service.

For the level of understanding, I tend to have moments of geneious. They're really short but they sometimes work wonders. :3

BTW: I own the MMX collection, MMX7 (Much to my displeasure), and MMX8.

7. silentshadowxp

I only own the first one, but I've played all the ones on the SNES. I've seen playthroughs of the others as well. The first one will always be my favorite though :p

8. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

If SMBC had a 16-bit sequel I would be happy having both X and Zero.

ThomasMink and silentshadowxp like this.
  9. smashbro596

smashbro596 Level 3: Paratroopa

wait. megamans weapons are all from different games.
    x3 armor would be best.
    oh and there should be double-tap left/right to dash also.:3

uglyrodent likes this.
  10. Tsukiyomaru0

Tsukiyomaru0 Level 3: Paratroopa

Won't work. Not all X3, X2 nor X1 weapons have been done in 8-bits. So you have to stick to Megaman Xtreme 1 and 2

11. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

...for the GB skin.

An SNES one could totally do that though.

12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

You want the different skins to have different weapons?
    . . . Not sure I can recommend that.
    (Still opposed to X in SMBC in general.)

13. uglyrodent

Well Wily has different weapons than Bass. There IS precedent.

Hell, the weapons are put on the skin so that they can be changed.

14. silentshadowxp

Yes, but as far as I remember, the X weapons are much more varied in function than the Mega Man classic weapons.

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. smashbro596

i still dont see anything wrong..... i mean really.... all we seem to care about is weather or not that character is on the nes....and if he isnt? hes given the boot.
    a bit narrow-minded, are we?

i understand this is meant to be a homage to the nes.... i get that....
    but really. would we have gotten the american mario 2 if nintendo decided to take a few liberties here and there with the ol' plumber?
    think about it. in the early '90s everyone wanted there fave nes characters make the transition to the snes.
    who are we to judge if megaman x decides to take a step backwards into smbc?'
    i say: give 'im a chance.

16. uglyrodent

We're not narrow minded, we're trying to figure out how he would work.

That's like the opposite of what you're saying.

17. smashbro596

oh... XD sorry. well.... what if there could be custom nes sprites of megaman x? would that work?
    bass wasnt on the nes...all his sprites are actually relatively new.
    ill go take a look.

uglyrodent likes this.
  18. silentshadowxp

I personally don't have anything against adding SNES characters to Crossover. I just honestly feel as though the game isn't suited for X (which is a completely different argument from X not being suited for the game). His gameplay is also currently divided up into both Mega Man and Bass, and it would be a bit of a waste to add him instead of a completely new and original character, especially when the SMB1 levels would diminish his gameplay.

19. smashbro596

...what if.....
    hey, this is just a theory....
    we make x's levels in smbc.....more.... "X" like? hey im just wondering.
    what i mean is add more enemies,unbreakable walls, and things like that?
    for x's levels only.

20. uglyrodent

Well, this is an admirable idea, but there are two flaws:
    -This goes against the principle idea, i.e. characters put into SMB's levels. I know there are helper platforms, but those are to make sure they can win at all

-As much as I hate the slippery slope argument, people are most likely gonna start asking for EVERY character to have unique levels, which clashes even more with my first point.

The GOOD news is that, once the level editor is made, you can totally make this on your own! Whether or not X is in the game by that point is debatable, though, so I guess it's not really worth mentioning...