Minimal Point Runs

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by aliceandsven, Sep 25, 2011.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I've just finished a Minimal Point Run of SMBC with Sophia! 1,100 is the lowest score that I could manage (1000 technically, see video for details).

From the video description:

This is a challenge run for Super Mario Bros Crossover. The goal is to clear the game with the lowest possible score. This run was done with SOPHIA, I may do other runs for the other characters at another point in time.

Important Information:
    1) every time-score left over when you touch a flag is worth 50 points.
    2) touching a flag with 1, 3 or 6 as the single digit of your time-score causes fireworks, each firework is worth lots of points
    3) Touching the very bottom of the flag awards 100 points
    4) the lowest amount of points possible per flag is 200 (2 "seconds" & touching the bottom)
    5) don't break bricks, that awards 50 points per brick
    6) the following actions DON'T award points: damaging enemies without killing them, touching the axe at the end, taking warps, popping mushrooms out of the boxes (just don't take the mushroom).

Notes: In this run I messed up pretty bad at 8-1. I touched the flag with 4 seconds instead of 2. I decided to leave it in though because 8-1 is long and I wanted to move on. The lowest score I've found technically is 1,000 (subtract the 100 points for the two extra seconds). I'm not sure if this is really the lowest score for SMBC/Sophia, I probably missed some sort of trick.

This is Bass' run: 6,000 Pts.

"First of all 2.0 is here meaning some characters (like SOPHIA) no longer start with their useful upgrades. 8-4 Bowser is a big problem for most characters which is why this run is 5k pts (killing Bowser = 5k) over the previous run. Bass is not as overpowered as 1.2 Sophia, she could easily negate the whole encounter by climbing on the walls and ceiling, without a mushroom. I did not feel like trying to maneuver through him to get the axe, so I took 5k extra pts.

I later realized, with one mushroom (1k pts.) I can still negate Bowser and I'll also have access to weapons (all weapons pickups = 0 pts.) which might make other parts easier. Taking the mushroom means you can probably end with 2k pts. total, using invincibility after taking a hit to pass Bowser. Of course finding a way past Bowser will give you the ultimate score, 1k pts.

Bass has to take the ceiling route in 1-2 because he can't fit under the blocks.

In a couple levels (1-1, 4-1) I mess around and goof off, because I need to waste time anyway. I have to end every flag-level at 2 seconds."

2. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Awesomely done!

Btw, what program you using for the video capturing?

3. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

JASON!!!!!!!!

Lol. :joy:

4. aliceandsven

I use CamStudio

5. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Hmmm... I've used it myself, and had issues recording... either I get some weird glitchy video where the last like 15-20sec of the video is at the front, but not centered, and in rainbow colours, before it starts... or the best one... recorded my recent Ultimate Speed Run with Ryu, only to have the video unplayable afterwords...

6. aliceandsven

That's weird, I don't have any problems with it.

7. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

When I first recorded with CS, the video was unplayable. In later recordings, I let it finish processing and it worked. Then it didn't record speaker sound. A few months later, I Googled an answer. I had to unmute Stereo Mix. I can now record perfectly again. :)

8. aliceandsven

Oh yeah, I would suggest looking at the options before you record anything with Camstudio

9. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I ran into this problem, but unfortunately the sound card I'm using (some on-board card for a Dell laptop) doesn't have that Stereo Mix option. That's why there's no sound in my USR Samus video. I've looked into the matter but I can't seem to find any way of getting CamStudio set up in such a way that it records through my speakers. The best I seem to have available is just recording externally, but I don't want the mic picking up all my key pressing, and possibly my exclamations at times if things in-game get hectic.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the sound working through my speakers? (PM me, considering this isn't exactly a thread for discussing movies and sound.)

10. aliceandsven

Replying to this because I think it's a really interesting run to have at the opening of our new forum :)

It could also use more research into the possibility of a lower score, and different character runs.

11. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I've seen a low score run of the original Super Mario Bros., and it hit the flagpole just as the timer ticked down to 000 to get no time bonus at all. I'm not sure if that works in SMBC, though . . . although if it doesn't, that could be classified as a bug.

12. aliceandsven

I haven't conducted any thorough testing on that, but if it is possible, it's not easy.

This is Bass' run: 6,000 Pts. Can easily be improved.

"First of all 2.0 is here meaning some characters (like SOPHIA) no longer start with their useful upgrades. 8-4 Bowser is a big problem for most characters which is why this run is 5k pts (killing Bowser = 5k) over the previous run. Bass is not as overpowered as 1.2 Sophia, she could easily negate the whole encounter by climbing on the walls and ceiling, without a mushroom. I did not feel like trying to maneuver through him to get the axe, so I took 5k extra pts.

I later realized, with one mushroom (1k pts.) I can still negate Bowser and I'll also have access to weapons (all weapons pickups = 0 pts.) which might make other parts easier. Taking the mushroom means you can probably end with 2k pts. total, using invincibility after taking a hit to pass Bowser. Of course finding a way past Bowser will give you the ultimate score, 1k pts.

Bass has to take the ceiling route in 1-2 because he can't fit under the blocks.

In a couple levels (1-1, 4-1) I mess around and goof off, because I need to waste time anyway. I have to end every flag-level at 2 seconds."

sbq92 likes this.
  13. TheomanZero

Here's a video for reference, if you're interested:

sbq92 likes this.
  14. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I suspect if it doesn't work in SMBC, Jay likely has it setup to kill you when it reaches 000, rather than letting 000 itself run out (to -001, if you will). In other words, you should have 0.397 seconds to grab the flagpole when it reaches 000.

Also, I think I've seen a 500 point TAS of SMB. EDIT: Yup, 500 points.

15. aliceandsven

Bass died immediately at 0 second when I tried it earlier. I can see the difference between the video above and what I saw in-game.

16. TheomanZero

Sooo . . . bug, then?

17. aliceandsven

I don't think Jay would care enough to adjust it, but if someone wants to report it that would be neat. it would help lower these scores anyway.