Fixed Minor saving/loading bug with new SOPHIA III skin

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Alkerion, May 26, 2013.

1. Alkerion

Alkerion Level 2: Koopa

I just had this relatively harmless but odd glitch happen to me while I was playing Survival mode:

SMBC SOPHIA III graphics bug.jpg

I had just loaded up a save file that started at 1-1, in Survival Mode, with Link, Simon and SOPHIA III playable. I played up until 1-3, always picking Random, (I got Simon on 1-1 and 1-2) and on this stage I got SOPHIA III. I had it set on the Tetromino skin, so I'm not sure why it gave me this mash-up of both it and the SNES style skin.

I think the picture that was being used for SOPHIA III in the character select screen was also of the SNES styled Jason. I had set it to use Tetromino last time I played, after which I saved and quit the game, before re-loading the file today.

The strangest thing about all this, though, is that I was using the 8-bit console sprites at the time, so I normally would not be allowed to use the SNES SOPHIA III!

I guess something in the file wasn't saved or loaded properly, which messed up the skin selection and resulted in this? However, after seeing this I saved again, restarted SMBC and loaded up that file to see if the bug repeated itself. That time, however, I just got the regular Tetromino skin.

Anyway, it's a small bug but I felt it was worth reporting. I wonder if I'll ever see it happen again?

uglyrodent likes this.
  2. TheBlueBomber

TheBlueBomber Level 3: Paratroopa

I've had a similar graphic glitch happen to me while playing with Sophia. It happened while i was on the character select screen. i went to choose Sophia and instead of her 8-bit sprite the 16-bit sprite was there mind you i was playing with the NES skins only. It still happens occasionally.

3. Alkerion

Seems like the same thing that happened to me.

After 'testing' some things I've managed to replicate it...it seems that it is caused by setting SOPHIA III to another skin, saving that file, closing the browser window, restarting it, loading up SMBC again and finally loading your save file. You'll now see SOPHIA III in the default skin of the graphics console set currently being used, and if you picked a skin that has different music than the default then it will play that music instead during gameplay.

Here's some more screenshots I took of the glitch in action:

SMBC SOPHIA III graphics bug 2.jpg SMBC SOPHIA III graphics bug 3.jpg

aliceandsven likes this.
  4. TheBlueBomber

That's kind of what happened to me except when i moved the cursor to another character then back to Sophia she was back to the 8-bit sprite. Never had the name in the hub not match the skin.

5. Alkerion

I see...that is different, then.

Speaking of which, I've been unable to replicate the glitch as it originally happened to me (Getting the SNES SOPHIA III skin while I'm only using NES skins). I wonder why it only happened like that just one time?

6. TheBlueBomber

Hmm that is weird, i just came across another Sophia III graphic glitch. In the character select screen Sophias sprite was actually invisible until i moved the cursor to another character and back to Sophia.:confused:

7. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

For some reason, when I load my save file it glitches on selecting SOPHIA III as shown below. I only had 16-bit skins active, and had saved with the new SOPHIA III skin selected, yet for some reason when I loaded back my save file the 8-bit SOPHIA III was shown instead:

SOPHIA_III_Bug.png

When I select this character, it temporarily shows the normal 16-bit SOPHIA (shown as first character skin above) with my lives remaining, but then reverts back to the 8-bit SOPHIA for the game:

SOPHIA_III_Bug_2.png

If you die, you are brought back to the character select screen still as 8-bit SOPHIA. Once you move the character skin cursor it reverts back to normal behaviour. As far as I can tell, this bug does not affect any of the other character skins. I haven't had luck reproducing this bug when saving settings from a brand new game, but I did not edit my save file in a text editor, so this is definitely a minor bug with saving/loading SMBC files. Below is a copy of my save file which seems to cause this bug:
    http://filebin.ca/rKrS7RjuRQ0/frozsoul_smbc_save_data.txt

8. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

9. Frozsoul

Success! I've recreated the bug which I believe is similar to what TheomanZero experienced before. This is how to do it from scratch:
    1. Start up SMBC
    2. Change Active Skins to 16-BIT
    3. Start a new game with the new 16-bit SOPHIA III skin
    4. From the pause menu, save your game
    5. Quit the current game to go back to the main menu
    6. Now change Active Skins to ALL
    7. Start a new game again this time with the normal 8-bit SOPHIA III skin
    8. From the pause menu, load back the game you saved in step 4 above
    9. The character select screen will now be similar to the first screenshot above (i.e. 8-bit SOPHIA III is displayed and selectable, but only 16-bit skins are supposed to be active)

Rey D and TheomanZero like this.
  10. Frozsoul

I just tried reproducing this bug in the current version of SMBC and it doesn't seem to happen now. So this bug can probably be labeled as Fixed.

Alkerion likes this.