Request More Enemy Replacement Options

Discussion in 'Features' started by VGamer, Nov 19, 2013.

1. VGamer

VGamer Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

So far, you are only able to replace Goomba's to either Spinies, Buzzy Beetle's, or Spike Tops. I believe that the enemy replacement should be for more enemies or all of them. This can help change gameplay difficulty plus allowing some possible challenges without the need of a level editor if it never happens for some reason. I also believe that you could have one of each enemies options to ''Random'' which can allow all of that enemy in the map pack you are playing to be an unpredictable enemy which can allow interesting challenges. This isn't a major request, but it just seems silly for Goomba's to only be able to be replaced by three other choices.

(EDIT: listed below is suggested by mat5200 - I recommend using his idea now)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    JunePNinobla, Urutsune and Mitewing like this.
  2. NES Boy

NES Boy Level 3: Paratroopa

3. mat5200

mat5200 Level 1: Goomba

Hey, I have good idea about enemy swaping. What about changing "Replace Goombas" in "More Settings" to "Enemy Swap: (Enemy)" like here:
    Enemy Swap 1.PNG
    After choosing enemy we go to menu where we can choose with which enemies we want swap him:
    Enemy Swap 2.PNG
    If we choose more than one enemy then enemy selected will be randomly swapped between these enemies:
    Enemy Swap 3.PNG
    In that case Goombas can be replaced with either Chasing Hammer Bros., Fighter Fly or Sidestepper.

What do you think about this idea?

Frozsoul, Mitewing, Urutsune and 2 others like this.
  4. VGamer

Ohh hiilllllll yeaaaaahhh!
    Edit : Wait instead of just Goomba's that get replaced, how about all enemies can be replaced with something else?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  5. mat5200

Actually that's what I was trying to say in this post, just used goomba as an example XD

6. VGamer

Oh haha, if you think about it, if the level editor never got featured in the game, this is something that could help a user build level's if they couldn't. The simple way, lol

7. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

I am honestly surprised this has not happened yet. There should be at least more option for Goombas. But yeah if you could replace any enemy that would be amazing. Why be so limited when the feature could easily go all the way?

Omicron, Mitewing and VGamer like this.
  8. VGamer

If anybody here has good contact to Exploding Rabbit, somebody should tell him about this. I feel that if he doesn't have enough time to implement a level editor, this idea would be better.

I happened to have expanded a bit on mat5200's idea. My thought was that each enemy could have different type's of enemies that you could replace with it. Listed below is an example for Blooper. As you can see, most enemies are underwater and castle enemies, and this is because Bloopers fly/swim in the air/water. I feel that each enemy could be changed with other enemies similar to their behavior.

Enemy Swap 2.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
    Mitewing likes this.
  9. The Kips of the Mud

The Kips of the Mud Level 3: Paratroopa

You messed up Bowser's Pallete

10. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

And that's all you have to say about it?

Give him a break, that's just a rough draft.
    Jay frequently scrolls through the bugs and requests forums. He's probably seen this.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  11. The Kips of the Mud

fine...

12. VGamer

He is like this on purpose. This is because there is a such thing as a Fake Bowser on world 8-4 in Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels. He is basically him since it wouldn't really be recommended to replace Bloopers with actual bosses. But yeah again this is just how I feel about the idea of enemy replacements.

Anyway, I personally don't feel like anything should have an option to replace icicles and Piranha Plants. This is because it wouldn't be best to allow floating Piranha Plants and icicles in the air. But yet again, there is always an option for everything being able to be replaced by anything, which is also another opinion of mine.

13. The Kips of the Mud

ohhh!

14. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

This is unrelated to this thread but sometimes using the Like feature is better than short posts with no content.

15. VGamer

There is one more thing I would like to add to mat5200's idea in case if I actually did misunderstood him. I feel that if Jay was to add this idea, when the enemies are selected at random, the "random" feature applies for every Goomba you see besides how it is now where all Goomba's in the game get replaced by a certain enemy. So for example, when you see the first Goomba, if you have it where the Goomba is replaced by either a Blooper or a Spiney, it could be one of those enemies. However when you meet the second Goomba, it could be a different enemy selected. I'm not sure if doing it this way would be hard though, hopefully it wouldn't be. The main reason of why I like this idea so much is because sometimes, what if I want to play normal mode with different enemies? As far as I know, none of the hard mode first levels in all three packs feature Bloopers in the first level, I could be wrong though. Also I found it repetitive that in all three of them, Lakitu was always used for the first as well. I also have felt that the new "hard map mode" actually sorta made things more random in a way. Besides this, the other main reason of why I support this idea is because I feel that some enemies shouldn't be replaced by Hammer Brother's when using the "All Hammer Bros." cheat. Like I said before, the idea of "random" sometimes makes things fun. Since I have played this game for a while now, I always disable random characters as I play the game since I find it fun to only be able to have a certain amount of characters as I progress to each world. I really am hoping that this idea is implemented. I wouldn't be angry if not, but I just feel this is worth considering. Since of the fact of how skin's can be enabled/disabled, why not the same for enemies now?

Omicron likes this.
  16. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Well it is obvious every enemy should be replaceable by reasonable choices. A flying enemy should be replaceable by other flying enemies and a land enemy should be replaceable with other land enemies.

luigiman64, Omicron and Mitewing like this.
  17. VGamer

Well actually, I just realized that Lakitu's have an object in each level in which tells them when they go away. This is most likely the same for the Flying Cheep Cheep's as well. This could cause some problems in levels if they could replace enemies. Unless if they weren't able to replace anything at all. Maybe a level editor would be better than this.

18. mat5200

I think that enemies like: goombas, green & red koopa troopas, green koopa paratroopas, spinies, buzzy beetles, spike tops, hammer bros., chasing hammer bros., fighter flies, sidesteppers, barrels & firebugs should be able to be replaced with each other.
    Additionaly spinies with icicles so lakitus could throw them.

About green & red piranha plants I think they only should be able to be replaced with themselves, OR if enemies can warp from pipes every 5 seconds (like goombas in SMB3) then they can be replaced with every enemy above.

Also lakitus & mid-screen height lakitus should be able to be swapped and MAYBE fireballs & bullet bills.

On another note I think that enemy swap option (& level select) should be on character select screen like here:
    Select 1.PNG

19. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

I don't remember if this was suggested before, but what about replacing an enemy with enemies from different Mario games? Like replacing Goombas with Dry Bones. Or Bowser with Dry Bowser.

20. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

That would just add too much to the skin sheet.