Request Music: Replace NES music with FDS music where applicable

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Jan 19, 2013.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

In case you don't know, the Famicom Disk System was a peripheral for the Famicom (Japanese NES) that allowed it to use floppy disks instead of cartridges. It was never released outside of Japan due to a massive piracy problem, so certain games were converted from disk to cartridge when released outside of Japan.

The most important aspect of this for our purposes is that the FDS had an additional sound channel over the NES, which meant that the American versions of some games had sadly inferior soundtracks. Nintendo seems to recognize this, as the "3D Classics" re-release of Kid Icarus uses the FDS soundtrack rather than the original, and recurring themes in the Metroid games are based mostly on the FDS version of Metroid rather than the NES version. Furthermore, the soundtrack of the Japanese version of Castlevania III is considered one of the greatest 8-bit soundtracks of all time.

Since the FDS music is better, I think we should use it in SMBC. As far as I know, this affects the following games:
    Castlevania II
    Castlevania III
    Kid Icarus
    Metroid (NOTE: The NES version of the "Escape" track is extended, so it might be better to use that one)
    The Legend of Zelda (Though I think the differences are pretty minor for this one)
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
    I think the FDS version of Super Mario Bros. has slightly different percussion, although it's hardly noticeable

I'm pretty sure the Mega Man series, the Ninja Gaiden series, the Contra series, Blaster Master, and the first Castlevania have no different FDS soundtracks.

If replacing all of this music is too much work, then focus on Kid Icarus and especially Castlevania III because those games have amazing FDS soundtracks and it'd be a crime not to include them in SMBC.

Oh, and if someone doesn't care for a particular game's FDS soundtrack (or even a particular track), that can be discussed here.

Omicron, Mitewing and MissingNo2 like this.
  2. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I'm all for this.

TheomanZero likes this.
  3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Like I said before, use the Famicom music for Pit's 16 bit skin. Also Contra is supposed to have better music too.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

We are actually already using the FDS music from Kid Icarus. Most of the tracks aren't very different (or they aren't different at all). We'll have to see about the rest of the games, though. Since we are in North America, the NES music is generally more iconic, so I'm not sure if we'd change all of the songs, but maybe in a few cases. We'll see.

5. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

Some of the NES songs I personally like better than the FDS ones. Take Castlevania 3's Beginning (the first level) song for once. The FDS version is cool, but there's just something about the NES version that makes it sound better imo. I still like to listen to both, but generally I prefer the NES versions. Guess it's just because I'm more familiar with them. Or maybe I just have a thing for 8-bit music, I dunno.

tl;dr: I'd like a option to choose between the two, because both are cool, but sometimes I prefer the NES.

6. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I would like this as an option. But I don't really like the idea of removing the NES music to put in the FDS music. They're both equally valid for this game.

This could possibly fit easily as an "emulate console" option; add FDS to the list of consoles and it will play the FDS tracks instead of the NES tracks. Then everyone is happy :o)

7. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

Why not just have an option between FDS and NES in the music menu, as well as both (randomized) or random altogether? Wouldn't even have to add a specific option, just use the existing ones.

huang17 and TheomanZero like this.
  8. TheomanZero

Yeah, this is probably the best option. I think enough people prefer the NES versions to justify it, though I would personally always choose the FDS versions.

9. Alias X Beoulve

In the case of Zelda II, I would definitely choose the FDS. But I did grow up with the NES version (since as early an age as I can start remembering) so at times I would want to hear the music I heard my whole life.

Never heard any of the other game's FDS-versions though. I'm most curious about the Castlevania 3 soundtrack.

Also, you could have the Doki Doki Panic soundtrack for the Toad and Princess Peach skins.

10. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

OH MY GOD

THIS IS AMAZING
    EDIT: Also this thing.

Sound familiar?
    Thought not.

TheomanZero likes this.
  11. Alias X Beoulve

Yes, I've played the FDS version. :awesome:

12. Faruga

Patron

I've been looking up some FDS soundtracks and they've been amazing.

TheomanZero and ZeroXBeoulve like this.
  13. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

If I had to listen to those every time I played as 8-Bit Link, I'd probably go insane because it's not what I'm used to hearing in terms of Zelda music. They're not nearly as memorable or nostalgic to me.. and I fully admit that is probably my own personal 'flaw' (if you can call it one, I dunno).
    And because of that, I can neither call those themes 'better' or 'worse' than the NES versions.

I can support an option for toggling the music, though.

huang17 and Alias X Beoulve like this.
  14. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

FDS music IS 8-bit.

Anyway yes, FDS music are richer in instruments and the sound is clearer, but NES musics are more nostalgic for non-Jap people, and they've got their own charm, so I'm all for an option.

Mitewing likes this.
  15. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

Well, yeah, but like you said, NES music is more nostalgic for non-Jap people, and that's pretty much what I meant.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  16. TheomanZero

See, I told you!

17. Faruga

Patron

I didn't even participate in the discussion until just now. ._o

18. TheomanZero

That was more of a general "you" than you specifically.

Faruga and ZeroXBeoulve like this.
  19. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

The Zelda 2 FDS theme sounds more like a Pokemon song then a Zelda song

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  20. TheomanZero

If we're going to have an NES/FDS option (which now seems like the best choice to me), then I guess we should include the music from the FDS version of Super Mario Bros., even though the difference is hardly noticeable.