Request Music: Replace NES music with FDS music where applicable

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Jan 19, 2013.

1. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

I think the only song that's really noticeable is the ending, at least in SMB2j.

Faruga and TheomanZero like this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Mmm, that's some good music. I think if you set the music to FDS, that should play for SMB Mario.

Faruga likes this.
  3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It's exactly because you grew with the NES tracks that having the FDS tracks sound off to you. It's called bias, and frankly, that means that it's important to have NES versions of the music.
    The FDS tracks can be much better, though, so having alt skins with FDS musics helps making "everyone" happy.

Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  4. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Certainly not opposed to an option being there for those who prefer it. Just felt I had to stick up for the 'turd sandwich'. :)

Faruga likes this.
  5. Rey D

Patron

Oh yeah. I don't see how memorable NES tracks can be considered "turds" anyhow, so I didn't bother commenting that one.

Faruga likes this.
  6. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

It's said that FDS/FC may use better chips for music and graphic.
    Music: Just listen to Akumajou Densetsu. (Castlevania III in English region)
    (nico account required) http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21418245
    Graphic: Snow falls in Contra, Stage 5. And the trees in 1 and 5.

A switch is acceptable, in case someone feels that either side is familiar.

7. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Yeah, it needs to be toggleable. I love the FDS soundtracks of CV3 and Kid Icarus, but the Japanese CV2 soundtrack is borderline-unlistenable to me.

8. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

9. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

listen to that grating-ass intro on the fds bloody tears
    the point is that personal preferences do come in

10. TheomanZero

Okay, I've implied in the past that FDS music was always better, and I'd like to apologize for that right now.

Faruga and Lilfut like this.
  11. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

> Listening with earphones
    > Seizures

Faruga likes this.
  12. Rey D

Patron

That jingling isn't terribly appealing, but hey, I like the track anyway. Maybe the instrument was supposed to emulate something like bells. But anyway, there aren't any Dracula 2 potential slots for the moment.

13. TheomanZero

It's seeming more and more like the best choice would just be to have a Famicom/NES option in the menu, rather than assigning them by skin. The one thing that makes me hesitant is having an option that only applies to NES skins.

Mitewing likes this.
  14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I'd rather have FDS assigned to specific skins and not an option one would toggle.

Also, how does music compare between NES/Famicom versions of the other series represented in SMBC?

15. TheomanZero

I don't think every game made use of the expansion chip.

EDIT: Actually, SMB was rereleased for the FDS with different percussion (which was also used in LL). Maybe Luigi could use it?

Faruga likes this.