New Game Modes

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I wanted to create a thread to discuss ideas for new game modes. Recently, I had this idea for a new game mode. It is based on Survival, but it has RPG-like elements. I call it Survival Quest. Here are the rules:

1. At the beginning you choose 3 characters for your party. These are the only characters you can play with throughout the entire game. When all 3 characters are dead, it's game over.
    2. Pressing start brings up your inventory menu. You may switch between party members at any time playing the game by accessing the menu.
    3. Extra fire flowers are stored in this menu and can be used with any living character.
    4. 1ups collected from mushrooms and coins are also stored here. You can revive any dead character at any time as long there is at least one living character.

Please share your thoughts and ideas for this and other game modes.

aliceandsven and TheomanZero like this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Sounds like a fun idea! Character switching would probably be cool in general.

Mitewing likes this.
  3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

That's actually not a bad idea at all. Sounds like you really put some thought into it.

Mitewing likes this.
  4. Mitewing

Thanks. I've been thinking of ways to expand the Survival gametype, which is brilliant in of itself. Originally, I was brainstorming of a way for how a Story Mode and its gameplay could work. Out of this is how Survival Quest was born. My idea for Story Mode does have some major differences, and I know a Story couldn't be added until the final update anyway.

5. Awe5ome´d777

Awe5ome´d777 Level 0: Newbie

I was hoping to see a Non Liniar mode, like in simon´s quest.When you had to find items to move along with the game.It could be like when you come to the end of the level, you just walk to the next without having to take the flagpole.

You would have to find keys to unlock the castles and defeat bowser or another boss.

For me that would be nice.... :megamanshoot: :mb::mb::mb::bowser:

6. TheomanZero

That would require completely changing the game structure, and probably wouldn't work with SMB's level layouts.

7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ As said above, it would recquire a lot of changes. Besides, that kind of mode would be pretty tedious, frankly talking. The simple mention of "Simon's Quest" makes me think about hours of not-really-funny-playthrough.

That "Survival Quest" is well thought and is interesting. Switching characters and having extra power-ups stocked would make the game feel different. :)

Mitewing likes this.
  8. Mitewing

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. Hopefully Jay will add something similar eventually. Does anyone have any game ideas of their own?

9. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

See "Action Mode", a thread I posted.

10. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

This thread's got a couple of months on yours dude :p

11. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

On the topic of Survival mode, one idea I had posted in the Wiki was that when you die as a certain character, instead of starting over the level from the beginning with the select screen, it would automatically cycle to the next character that you had selected (of course, you would need to have a few seconds of invincibility when you automatically cycle as the new character, just like when you are normally hit by an enemy). This would further distinguish survival mode from the other modes and make the order of your character selections more strategic.

Edit: I also like the idea of "banking" fire flower power-ups. It's a bit annoying to have the fire flower power-ups be of no use when you're fully powered up. Alternatively, perhaps any question blocks that would have generated a fire flower instead generate a star when you're fully powered up!

12. Mitewing

I just got another idea. I mentioned it in the Ryu thread.

LIFE BAR MODE
    1. Each character would gain the respective Life Bar from their games at the cost of having only one life.
    2. Health is restored from every 1up mushroom and 100 coins obtained. This would add some strategy to the game mode.
    3. Single character, All character, and Random modes would be available.

13. Mew

Mew Level 2: Koopa

Well, for a few of the points here...

Story Mode: technically, SMBC already got a plot and mostly, it's a slight variation to SMB1's ; the Mushroom Kingdom has been invaded by the Koopa Kingdom, the Mushroom King murdered, the population cursed, and Princess Peach, imprisoned. An unlikely hero rises to thwart Bowser and save the princess. The difference is that unlike the original, said hero can be any character rather than just Mario/Luigi. Doesn't need much more to it in my opinion.

Survival mode ideas: you have some interesting ideas. But I think that what would really make survival mode relevent is if the stages were randomized and it went on until you died/fulfilled the loss conditions, whenever based on time or life conditions.

Life bar mode: this one intrigue me and I think would be really interesting... but very hard to balance. Although in a way, this would be the point in a way. Samus and Megaman, having beefy life bar systems, would probably have an easier time, potentially even easier than with standart mode. By comparison, Mario and Luigi would be handicaped as would be Sopha-III (who has a smaller health bar than the other characters in their native games).

Of course, apart from extra level sets, what I'd *really* want to see is an endless mode where you go through randomized stage sections until you lose.

That and a 'speedrun' setting that save up your time unit use per stage and then indicate your results once you win/lose the game (internal use of time units would make speedruns more accurate as lag would be less of a factor).

14. Mega Man Model T 101

Mega Man Model T 101 Level 2: Koopa

It would be nice to have life bars for some of the characters, like Mega Man, Bass, Samus, Link, and Simon/Trevor. But the lifebars should be optional like some of the other features, and should only be applied to those who have actual life bars in their games. In the case that Mario, Luigi, Bill, ect don't have life bars. It would make for an interesting mix for sure.

15. fractor

fractor Level 5: Spiny

OK I made a blog about this one but I'll make it a quickie here. Voice Clip Mode:

Characters have their respective voice clips, just to make the game slightly interesting to listen to :p

16. TheomanZero

OPTIONAL. THEY ABSOLUTELY MUST BE OPTIONAL. Those got really intrusive in the Super Mario Advance series (well, except 3).
    By the way, where did that sweet sweet SML2 remix come from?

17. fractor

fractor Level 5: Spiny

Well it's not like they're gonna act like omochao and state the obvious while giving you instructions. :p Small grunts and phrases are nice.

18. Mega Man Model T 101

Oh! I apologize if someone has made this comment already, but I miss being able to stomp on the enemies with all the characters. If that can be an optional thing like "Everyone can stomp enemies On/Off" that'd be swell, I miss being able to stomp my way through with everyone along with using their other abilities. There were a few times back in a previous version that being able to stomp an enemy with any character had saved my bacon a few times in the past.

19. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This has actually been mentioned several times before, but thanks for not starting a whole new thread about it. :) I think it would be nice to have it as an option, since it does make some situations for some characters a lot easier, but I highly doubt Jay would ever revert things back to the way they were (not that you're suggesting he does, I'm just sayin'). :)

20. Mega Man Model T 101

Yeah, I'd just like it if he has that made optional. That's what's making this game so great, you have so many gameplay options to suit your tastes. Like you have the option to change Simon's jumping style, and Samus' control style, each designed to suit your flavor of gameplay. That's why I hope he considers making it a turn on/off option, some might like it on, some might like it off. To each his own.

TheomanZero likes this.