New Simon Skin Poll

Discussion in 'Skins' started by TheomanZero, Jun 15, 2012.

?

Which version of the skin looks the best?

1. Version 1: Black outline, headband outside

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Version 2: Black outline, headband inside

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. Version 3: Brown outline, headband outside

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Version 4: Brown outline, headband inside

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. The original 16-bit skin

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

EDIT: Images updated for version 2.1!
    Recently, I've been editing Simon's 16-bit skin to improve it since I found it unsatisfying. I'd like for my edit to replace his current 16-bit skin, though I don't have official authorization or anything yet, so there's no guarantee this will even get in the game. Anyway, I've actually created a few versions of the skin and have gotten conflicting feedback on which looks best, so I decided to do this properly and open a poll. Here are your choices:
    EDIT: Now with transparency, courtesy of MissingNo2!
    Version 1: This was the first one I made. Note that the headband is visible all the way around his head.
    simon16-1.png
    Version 2: This was an edit I made to the above after Rey D pointed out that in the portrait, Simon's headband is covered by his hair and is only visible in the front. Personally I think the above one looks a little better, but matching the portrait is a legitimate concern.
    simon16-2.png
    Version 3: These next two were made after Scorpion42 said he didn't like the black (actually dark gray) outline, which I had been concerned with as well. After trying and failing to remove the outline entirely, I instead recolored it to the dark brown used in the portrait. Here's the new outline with the headband going outside the hair:
    simon16-3.png
    Version 4: The same as version 3, but with the headband under his hair, as in version 2.
    simon16-4.png
    Finally, for purposes of comparison, here's Simon's current 16-bit skin. If you think none of my edits look any better, I guess you can vote for this one.
    Simon_001.png
    EDIT: Here's a lineup of all five options for easy comparison.
    Simon Banner.png
    EDIT: Actually, if you do vote for the original, can you at least tell me what's wrong with mine?
    Credit to Rey D for helping me with the hair.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  2. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I personally find the third to be the most appealing to me.

3. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I like black outlines since it matches the other 16-bit characters.

huang17 likes this.
  4. MissingNo2

Yeah, because Samus, Demon and SMB2 Luigi totally had black outlines.

5. Squaff

Squaff Level 5: Spiny

And SMB2 is 16 bit?

6. MissingNo2

[​IMG]

Scorpion42 likes this.
  7. Squaff

That's from Mario Allstars, not SMB2.

8. MissingNo2

SMB2 is IN Allstars. Must you be so picky?

9. Squaff

This back and forth started with you being picky.

10. MissingNo2

How was I picky? I was just pointing out that not all the 16-bit skins had black outlines.

11. TheomanZero

Could you please use this thread to actually discuss the Simon skins?

Triton37, Rey D and MissingNo2 like this.
  12. Zarran

Zarran Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

I like the black outlines more. The brown outlines don't have enough contrast between the outline and the brown on Simon. I also think it would be best to try and match the portrait so I like Version 2 the most. The only concern I have with it is the headband isn't as visible.

Crownjo likes this.
  13. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

These skins are very good. I also agree on generally preferring the black outlines. Number 2 gets my vote, not so much because of accuracy to the portrait, but because I find the headband in number 1 a bit distracting for the eyes.

That being said, I have to be honest - I still like the current 16-bit Simon skin. I think it faithfully captures the look of a 16-bit version of the original design. Personally, I would prefer to see an alternative to the 16-bit Trevor skin, which is good, but IMO could be tweaked even further.

huang17 and Rey D like this.
  14. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Take Version 4 and make his hair the color of the 16-bit skin (edit the portrait too) and it'll be perfect.

15. TheomanZero

You mean like this?
    Simon Black Hair.png
    I don't know . . . it doesn't look right to me.

Lilfut likes this.
  16. MissingNo2

I don't even know how to see that anywhere close to the definition of "perfect".

17. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

The portrait's slightly FUBAR, but that's due to improper shading on your part. The sprites themselves look fine to me.

18. ManniManni54321

ManniManni54321 Level 3: Paratroopa

So do I!!!!!

19. Vec-Tron

Vec-Tron Level 1: Goomba

I like the black outline. Also I usually avoid the skin poll unless it's my own skin poll.

20. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Oh hey I know I'm mentioned up there, but you know, I didn't actually give him the sprite with hair on headband but did a sprite a bit different:
    SMBC_Simon_custhair_x4.png
    I also changed a bit the hair shading, but that's not my point.

It seems it's not my first time doing like this:
    simon_custom_01_preview.png simon_custom_02_preview.png

Attached Files: