Ninja Gaiden Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Jay, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Discuss and post Ninja Gaiden skins here.

Everyone likes this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Hooo boy... Ninja Gaiden skins are ridiculous. That's why I haven't tried any yet... The graphics are quite complex. I would like to see if anyone is up for trying it, though.

3. sbq92

Alright, I know I'm double posting here, but I've finally completed a Ninja Gaiden skin, and simply editing my post won't show that there's anything new to be shared.

So, here is 1-1, using the desert level (Act II, Scene 1) from Ninja Gaiden III. The good news is it turned out well. The bad news is it has a very complex background, but I've noticed the graphics in the Ninja Gaiden games are designed in such a way as to use both the background and the foreground for the overall appearance of the level. I believe Ryu is from the most graphically complex game of all of the SMBC characters' games.

Apart from the background, however, everything in this level is very simple and could easily be put into the Auto-Tiler.

4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

That looks very cool! The background (the black line) clashes a little bit with everything else though. I like the replacement for the castle at the end :p

5. Jay

Good job. It's nice to see a Ninja Gaiden skin.

6. sbq92

I did more Ninja Gaiden. This time it's 1-2 using Ninja Gaiden III's Act II, Scene 2. I don't think the red orbs should be used as coins, I just needed a placeholder.

7. HeliosCentaur

HeliosCentaur Level 1: Goomba

World 1-1 with ''Ninja Gaiden I'' Act I Scene City theme

So I thought the first level of Ninja Gaiden is so iconic that it need to be represented in SMBC. http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/images/c/c6/World_1-1_w_bg_ng.png
    This literally had taken me about 20 hours. Those damn horizontal lines are a pain to get everything to look right. Also, getting the shading done and buiding placement to match the 'mario blocks' and look right. Oh, and deciding what to do about the pitfalls was a challenge, but it turned out really well. I wanted it to have just as much detail as the original game, so unfortunately this particular background can only be used on this stage. But the tiles can be used elseware.

Maybe Jay will have an add background feature 'add background skin (.png 280x3392)' or something for each level and different tiles for each level.

If there's anything people think I should ad (signs etc) or fix, I'm open to suggestions. This was a labor of love. Jay rocks!! "TORNADO JUMP!!!"

8. sbq92

Amazing! I love it! :D

9. Jay

Wow! I have no idea how we can put that in the game, but it looks awesome. Nice work!

10. HeliosCentaur

I've kept the background separate from the interactive tiles. I used the tile layer program and have that sheet saved and a background without those tiles on it, but the shading is there on the background. If you were to have the background and tiles for each level replaceable, with a limitation on how high and wide the background is, on every single level instead of type of level it could work. One step at a time I figure. It sounds like a lot more work to me, but the end result is a very detailed type of skin for each level and more variety. Then the guys here can do those things like every stage/level is a different type of boss theme ie MegaMan

11. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Very cool, it took me a second to realize how you did it with the auto-tiler, that's a pretty good way of doing it though.

12. sbq92

I've often thought this would be a good idea. As someone who is not involved in the programming and therefore has no idea what is involved, it seems easy enough to simply make the background a single image, with each level having a single image that sits behind all of the other tiles. I fully understand if this is more complicated, I'm just saying that with my limited knowledge of what the programming entails I don't see it as being difficult. It would essentially be skinning the background of each level.

13. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

The main issue would just be the size of all the backgrounds added up, when they're compressed it would be a bit less but with 32 levels and 8 characters that could add up to around 200+ backgrounds. Then again many of those would be the same, Jay said he had an idea for cutting down on background size awhile back so it might be possible, but it'd be better to ask him about it.

I'm sure it would be pretty easy to do though, the size would just add up pretty quick.

14. Razorrebel

Razorrebel Level 1: Goomba

duuude this is awesome

15. HeliosCentaur

World 1-2

Here's another NG of mine. I love the graphics in this level and the music is so pumping and thought it would be perfect for 1-2. I've done a deluxe background version and a simple black bg ver. I could also make the bg simplier with a repeating 'cave window' and lantern. I like to make it usable :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. sbq92

Awesome! I especially like the outside portion near the end.

They look great!

17. HeliosCentaur

World 1-3

Here's another one. I made the castle at the end compatible with similar levels.

[​IMG]

18. Lopard Gorikezella

Lopard Gorikezella Level 0: Newbie

19. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

That's from the level where they play "Basilisk Run" in the original NG. It used to play underground in SMBC as well, but it's been moved to the overground levels again, though