Request No mushrooms for non Mario-Bros. characters?

Discussion in 'Features' started by BTB, Dec 3, 2013.

1. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

The thing is, I don't know if having other characters use mushrooms was a thematic choice on the developers' part to help maintain a unifying "Mario" theme or merely a balance one to make an easy way for everyone to take a hit. If the former is the case, then feel free to ignore this request. If it's the latter, though, I'm fairly certain that all of the other characters have items from their own games that could easily stand in for mushrooms:

Simon: Roast Chicken

Ryu: Health Potions

Mega Man: E-Tanks (hell, Mega Man could be made unique by allowing him to collect more than one and thus be able to take more hits)

Samus: The Varia - the firebar resistance it currently offers is really kind of gimmicky and I wouldn't be sad to see it go. This would also require that the Long Shot become its own upgrade, which I'm fine with.

(Actually, an E-Tank would probably make more sense for Samus, too... I just went straight to the Varia because what made me start thinking about this was trying to think of a different use for it)

Link: Link is actually the hard one here. He already has a stand-in (the blue ring), but the Mushroom grants him both it and the white sword, and I really don't think they should be split up since Link has enough shit to collect as it is.

SOPHIA: Uh...

Bill: Bill doesn't need any fucking mushrooms >.>

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    Faruga, Omicron and Mitewing like this.
  2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Interesting idea. Either a Heart Container or a Fairy could work for Link. This would also make the Blue Ring separate which I would be elated to see again (It was separate in 2.0). The E-Tank for Samus will work fine too. For SOPHIA, there's a flashing "P" item that restores Health.

3. BTB

Well, again, Link's problem is that he's already got too many upgrades and some of them kind of... well, suck. The current setup makes little thematic sense, but is preferable from a game balance standpoint.

4. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

Doesn't look like a paletteswap.
    Actually I want to see such option so that everyone can collect his/her own item, despite that they function the same.

Link can use his potion from the first game though.

5. Mitewing

Mega Man/Bass has a lot of upgrades, mostly weapons, which causes another issue. Their Mushroom upgrades would either have to be obtained another way or simply available from the start. Link may simply need to be reworked from the start.

6. BTB

Yeah, Mega Man is in similar distress, although his merely requires the much simpler fix of making his subweapons stronger.

The creator of Mega Man has gone on record saying that the ability to charge the Mega Buster was a terrible addition to the series, as it rendered his sub-weapons useless. And that's pretty much what's happened to him in SMBC. Not only is the mega buster sufficient to deal with any situation, but I've actually gotten myself killed trying to use his more gimmicky/shitty sub-weapons (i.e. most of them).

Personally, what I'd like to do is add eight more sub-weapons - one from each game - and then split them up between Mega Man and Bass. Give Mega Man the weapons from 1-4, and Bass the ones from 5-10. And then balance the power of those sub-weapons against the power of his mega buster (which preferably should require a *second* upgrade to allow it to charge) so that they're not useless.

Omicron likes this.
  7. Mitewing

I actually wish Proto Man to be a separate character too, so weapons would need to considered for him too. I have a thread about it on here. It would give each character a different Mega Man Killer weapon then the other seven weapons would be adjusted accordingly.

8. BTB

The Mega Man series is already over-represented as it is (I'm not sure how obvious it is, but I really don't like Bass - I'm championing taking all of the weapons I don't like and want gone and shunting them over to the *character* that I don't like and want gone), so making Proto Man his own character is probably not a step in the right direction if you agree with that.

9. Mitewing

I don't mind have 3 Mega Man characters. I hope Toad and Peach are made separate as well which would make Mario characters the most numerous.
    Anyway, the special powerups found in Rockman Complete Works could help with the Buster problems.

http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/Classic/RMCW/Weapons/

10. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Well the overall biggest problem with the whole Mushroom aspect is mainly from it matching the map skin rather than the Mario skin currently in use. Though it's more problematic due to the Fire Flower since nobody else uses it anymore.

Mitewing likes this.
  11. Mitewing

The Mushroom is also now used to give back powerups that might have been lost in the same life. So there's another problem with this idea.

MissingNo2 likes this.