Request Non-random Power-ups

Discussion in 'Features' started by aliceandsven, Dec 25, 2012.

?

Should power-ups always be in the same location?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I would like to know what people think about non-random power ups (having certain powers be in certain boxes).

This is how the original games played, such as Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania and Contra, the power-ups were always in the same "box" and you could practice the game and plan out a path or a strategy depending on those power-ups.

But in SMBC it's different. I'm working on a Ryu playthrough and I've realized I just hang on to the shuriken or windmill shuriken for the castles, because I never know if I'll get another one before the castle if I go for another weapon in the mean-time. And it doesn't seem meaningful to think about power-up strategies throughout other levels, partly because of what I mentioned, and partly because you never know what power ups you'll find and when.

side-note; what weapons does ryu have that can kill bullet bills and stuff?

MissingNo2 and Rey D like this.
  2. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Hey, that's how i've been planning my game. It rewards the player's experience.

3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I support this, even though part of me is for keeping random.

Fireball Ninpo (downward fireball sub-weapon).

4. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Holy fuck yes.

It pisses me off when I get a weapon which is exactly the most useless for that level.

5. aliceandsven

"Hey, that's how i've been planning my game. It rewards the player's experience."

How? it's random

6. Rey D

Patron

He meant that non-random rewards the player.

Omicron likes this.
  7. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

This seems like it would be difficult to implement, as each character would need a separate "power-up arrangement".

Rey D likes this.
  8. aliceandsven

Some characters need it more than others, so it doesn't have to be everyone

9. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I'm pretty sure only Ryu and Simon need it. Bill could have it, but it's not downright necessary.

10. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Spreadgun for Bill in 2-3.

11. elim

elim Level 2: Koopa

I think that the power-ups aren't common enough for this to work. For example, there are only 3 power-ups each in Worlds 7 and 8. You could end up going for several worlds without seeing a particular sub-weapon you really want. And when you do get to the stage with your desired weapon, you're pretty much forced into choosing the same character on the stage every single time you play. "If I don't choose Simon here, then I'll never have the Holy Water when I need it."

A nice idea in theory, but I think it would seriously ruin the game's replay value.

huang17 likes this.
  12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

This idea could be nice (but only for Bill, Simon, Ryu, and possibly MM&B), but as I said above, I don't think it's worth the trouble to implement it. elim also makes a good point.

13. Rey D

Patron

Oh, you bring a good point here.