Not a Bug Object back

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by StepS, Feb 12, 2012.

1. StepS

StepS Level 3: Paratroopa

in level 4-2, I've opened a box containing the Star power, I didn't take it, it went off screen (or not; that doesn't really matter), and then I went down into the nearby pipe. When I went back up from the bonus area and then went to the left side, the star was still jumping and waiting for me.
    I think that's the consequence of objects freezing off-screen, which wasn't happening in the original SMB, but is the difference of SMBC.
    Is this good or bad?

2. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

I call it good. The original did a lot of stuff that sucked because that was the power limitation of the day. Ratchet scrolling existed because it could only keep a screen and a half's worth of data in memory at any given time, so it flushed the old data to make way for the new data, since once it's off the screen, you can't go back and don't need it anymore anyway. It's been 25 years, we don't have those limitations anymore, so we're free to do stuff like that.

A game should try to play like the original but it should also take some creative liberty. Doing something just because that's what the original game did is dumb if it was done because of a memory or processing power limitation, versus being done by a conscious design choice.

huang17, StepS, sbq92 and 1 other person like this.
  3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This might not be intended anyway so I'll mark it as "new" or something. I've seen it happen too and it's simple enough to replicate so there's really no need to verify.

StepS likes this.
  4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It's because items such as stars don't move when off-screen. It was the same wa in earlier versions. :)

5. StepS

StepS Level 3: Paratroopa

Yes, I know. But if I entered another zone, they should eventually stop existing.

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I agree. Just cause it's off screen doesn't mean it doesn't exist any more. Now that we don't have the limitations of the NES, they should continue moving until they're done.

7. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I like this, personally.

8. Tsukiyomaru0

Tsukiyomaru0 Level 3: Paratroopa

Actually, "Item awaiting" is a bug. Because, if you try to get an item to be above the exit pipe in the original and All Stars, you'll not see the item appear.

9. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I actually worked pretty hard to make things save their state when you leave the area. If it didn't do that, you could go into a pipe, then come back and collect all the same stuff over again. This is definitely not a bug.

huang17, TheomanZero and Rey D like this.