Odd request: Character creation system

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Lilfut, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

The thing is, most of those are just variables. Add a slider, and you're good. For the remaining ones, you basically just need to copypasta code from existing characters.

2. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I don't like this suggestion because it would go against what makes SMBC so special. Don't get me wrong I think it's a good idea. Just not for this game

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well, looks like it's four to one.

4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

You are completely underestimating the amount of work required to create characters, and, in the process, insulting Jay.

5. Lilfut

Okay, it was a bad idea in retrospect. I stand by my statement that it would be cool, just unbelievably impractical.

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. TheomanZero

You're not the only one on this forum to have had such an idea . . . though you may be the first to admit it.

uglyrodent likes this.
  7. Lilfut

Really? Huh, that's surprising. I had heard people say that I went into more detail than anyone else (which doesn't surprise me, i do tend to take a bad idea way too far), but I wasn't aware I was the first to voice this idea.

uglyrodent likes this.
  8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I never denied it was a cool idea. It is in fact a fantastic idea, it's just too impractical. :)

uglyrodent likes this.
  9. TheomanZero

Actually I meant "an idea that would be cool but unbelievably impractical", not this idea specifically. I was mainly thinking of the various requests for Super Mario Bros. 3 Crossover, Super Mario World Crossover, Super Mario All-Stars Crossover, and whatever else.

10. Lilfut

I think I may revise my original thought to make the WYSIWYG editor be a bit overly restrictive, and more for proof of concept than anything else. Think the stage builder in Brawl vs what modders have done (which would be the people with AS knowledge). If you're against this, though, that's also fine. The WYSIWYG editor could include stuff like Speed (with stopping-on-a-dime assumed), Jump Height (treated the same in all situations), Projectile Path/Speed/Damage (i stand by my belief that that is quite easy to program), and the like.

Edit: Oh, okay. I've had a few of that type, too, in particular I'd love someone with Blender experience to make Mario 64 crossover.

11. Nutty20

Nutty20 Level 3: Paratroopa

Character Creation?

No.

Please don't ruin the good name of Super Mario Bros. Crossover....

Crownjo likes this.
  12. Lilfut

Again, I'm aware that 90% of created characters are going to suck. But there's almost certainly going to be at least one massively awesome character spawned from the system. I'm part of enough modding communities to know this principle.

13. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

If you aren't going to at least be constructive then just don't say anything.

Jdaster64, sbq92 and Lilfut like this.
  14. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Ok, a whole character creation system is too complicated to implement. It would be super awesome, but too impractical to implement.
    However, it would have a character TWEAKING system that allows to alter simple things like hitboxes, shot limit, speed, acceleration, jump height, animation delay, gravity on the current characters and their projectiles. It's still complicated but not as complicated as a whole character creation system, and still it has a lot of potential.
    Just another suggestion following this one. :)

Crownjo likes this.
  15. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

It seems like everywhere you turn someone is worried about SMBC being "ruined"

It's kind of annoying

People are just trying to share thoughts and ideas, it's ok to say you don't like the idea but you have no objective basis to make a statement such as "IT WILL RUIN THE GAME!!!!!!1"

Lilfut likes this.
  16. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Besides Jay knows what he is doing. So no worry's.

17. Lilfut

I can see this.

18. Nutty20

Nutty20 Level 3: Paratroopa

I'm sorry officer, does there seem to be a problem?

19. Lilfut

>Level 3
    >Acting like you own the place
    Seriously?

20. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

>Acting like levels are worth shit
    Seriously?

Jdaster64 and fractor like this.