Request Offline Play

Discussion in 'Features' started by silentshadowxp, Aug 3, 2013.

1. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

This isn't so much a feature as it is a request. Currently, if you try to play a backed up copy of Crossover 3.0, you get the following message:
    I'm assuming that this is because of the new news ticker, SRS coins, and money donated that is displayed on the main menu. I wouldn't suggest ever playing the game off the site if you can connect to it, but if one's internet goes out, the site goes down, or if the game ever gets a C&D, the game would become completely unplayable.

So I suggest that if the game "can't download required data", have the following things happen:
    • In the box where the coins and donated money are displayed, keep the text "Help us if you can!" and "Click for more info", but don't display the coins or donated money. Also, leave the link to the SRS page when you click it.
    • In the news ticker, have preset messages display for times when it can't connect to download more.
    I'm not sure about how likely it would be for the team to implement this, but I feel as though it's worth being considered. I hate bringing up the possibility of a C&D, but if it were to happen, over half a year's worth of work would go down the drain, and no one would be able to play the game in it's current (and awesome) state.

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This needs to happen, I'm getting mixed responses saying it was a design choice, or that it was something they couldn't fix, so I don't know. But the game needs to be offline in my opinion.

huang17 likes this.
  3. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

The current version is supposed to be playable offline. The only problem is that it currently demands an internet connection to update the news ticker and the coin bar.

The only thing required is to make a check on the internet connection before the game starts, so if the PC doesn't have it, just disable the news ticker and the coin bar.

So, instead of a feature, this is more of a bug on the game since it IS supposed to be playable offline. (If jay unlocked the game to be playable anywhere, it should be playable anywhere, even offline)

huang17 likes this.
  4. silentshadowxp

The thing is, even if you're connected to the internet, the game is unable to connect to the "required data" when playing a backed up copy of 3.0, despite what the error message says.

huang17 likes this.
  5. TiagoDu

As i said, a bug.

huang17 likes this.
  6. SonicTheBlueBlur2

SonicTheBlueBlur2 Level 0: Newbie

I wish this game could be played offline as intended. Maybe a download link could be included that has what others say about "click here to learn more". The version I have I used Chrome to download the SWF file from the site with the "inspect element" option, but I only have 2.7 (I think that's the version I have). It's fine, but it doesn't have the Atari 2600 graphics or the SMB Special map set, which I would LOVE to use my Xbox 360 controller with. Also, the offline version could use the vibration in the controller whenever you die or take damage (wouldn't that be awesome?).

7. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

No, it couldn't, because vibration and other advanced gamepad interfaces are not accessible by Flash Player.

Currently, keycode mappers are needed for gamepad play and those wrappers merely push buttons on Windows' API for you, there's no feedback.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  8. silentshadowxp

Yeah, flash isn't capable of rumble support.

And while a normal download link/button would be nice in theory, it simply wouldn't work out well for ER. The entire reason they worked on 3.0 was in order to bring people to the site. Not only does it help advertise Super Retro Squad, but it also helps them get some extra money off of people seeing advertisements. Allowing everyone to just download it nice and easy would cause people to play it more off their own computer rather than on the site.

However, all past versions have been able to be archived (by saving the swf file) in case of anything bad happening (like a cease and desist), or to allow people to play past versions. This is the first version in which that is not possible, which is a shame because of all of the new levels and features.

SonicTheBlueBlur2 likes this.
  9. aliceandsven

I think this is more important, most people would probably be reasonable enough to listen to ER's need and play it on the website when they can.

People have asked multiple times to be able to play it offline, not because they just want to, but because ti's the only way they could play it.

Rey D, Omicron and silentshadowxp like this.
  10. Omicron

If a C&D happens, there are a couple emergency techniques to unlock offline play on our own.

I would gladly help with that, should this doom fall upon it.

Nitron_ZX, silentshadowxp and Faruga like this.
  11. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

It is not a bug. It was a choice. I will remove the requirement when Exploding Rabbit has enough money to get by on its own. This will most likely be when SAS is released.

Currently SMBC is closely linked to Exploding Rabbit's financial stability, so I sometimes have to make difficult decisions like this. Sorry.

12. TiagoDu

It's OK. I know it may be hard to start a company with little money and if it SMBC will help you to get money, don't worry about linking it to the website. ;)

13. aliceandsven

I appreciate the honesty and integrity to at least come 'round and say it.

ThomasMink likes this.
  14. SonicTheBlueBlur2

SonicTheBlueBlur2 Level 0: Newbie

He could make a regular offline exe file (that's what I was talking about) that doesn't use Flash to make a rumble feature available in the offline version

Me, too. Check out my new thread at http://www.explodingrabbit.com/foru...-in-the-game-with-the-sonic-1-map-skin.17718/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  15. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

SonicTheBlueBlur2 has an avy of him wearing a mario costume, which is the complete opposite of sonic.

also, I might download SMBC one of these days, if only just so it will work on this damned computer. I understand that you need some cash to get SAS done and ready to be released to the public, but it's still kinda sad that I won't be able to play SMBC untill you're finished with SAS, of which I doubt I'll buy just simply because of the relation to Exploding Rabbit. (no offense... I'm just not allowed to be here. Although you're good people, so I sneak onto the forums anyway. And I told dad that you're not crazed maniacs that want to kidnap me or some shit like that, but he won't listen. He just says that I'm "too trusting". "WHAT AN ASSHOLE!"-comedian)

16. Omicron

1. Don't post again if the last post is yours. Use the edit button instead to add new content.
    2. You shouldn't randomly ask for features like that on unrelated threads. Either use an existing thread that makes sense or create one if it does not exist yet.
    3. You can put a link to your thread on your signature, that way it gets more visibility and doesn't look like shameless advertising.
    4. Your new thread is a duplicate. Please use the search function to find related threads. Read statement #2.
    5. I'm not mad, this is my job here. Don't feel bad about it. Everyone makes mistakes.

Nitron_ZX and TheomanZero like this.