Request Option:import custom skin/map theme

Discussion in 'Features' started by Sean649, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Sean649

Sean649 Level 1: Goomba

Hello everybody. I'm posting this request because, after reading some random topics on the forum, it seems that many of us want to have in this game our personal touch, bringing a part of our contribution to this game. example, a map theme of metroid or every other games. A rainbow theme if you want. (just kidding). So, I think it would be awesome to make, for us, an option where we could import our own texture (like in minecraft) to the game and if we want it, to share it with other people, it would be awesome. With such an option, we could help and customise the game the way we want it. So that's it. a simple option to import skins and map themes to the game. And at the end, you could create a forum section where people could easily share them. (and don't worry, I'm not not talking about making the game open-source) :)

Sorry if there's mistakes. I'm not perfect in english :p Well, hope you'll understand my request :)

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

You're right that this is commonly request and very much desired among many of the forum users. There are some fairly big issues that come along with it, however.

The first issue is that of quality control. By limiting which skins are permitted to be added to the game, it allows us to ensure the skins are of top quality when present and that they best represent the companies they are originally from. While uploading one's own skins to be used only on one's own system would make it so the quality wouldn't matter, there is still the issue of screenshots. If someone posts a screenshot of a poor quality skin, it reflects poorly on both the developers of the game and on the developers of the original content, and so even then quality control is very important.

Related to the first issue is what happened to the game Mushroom Kingdom Fusion (MKF). MKF is a game where the fans had so much control they essentially took over the project and now many people consider the game to be a mess. The original creator of the project left it, and I believe he even comment on SMBC, saying something along the lines of it being "MKF done right."

One last issue is the matter of the palette system. The palette system we have in place is quite ingenious and allows us to do a lot with the skins that would otherwise require several additional sprites and tiles. The system is, however, quite complex. If people were to be able to upload their own skins, they would not have the palettes attached to them, and so their skins would be very limited, and they would lack important things such as flashing when they get a Mushroom or have a Star, or Mega Man's changing colors with different weapons. Additionally, the system is set up to have a palette associated with each skin, meaning the game would probably crash if someone were to add a new skin, since there would be no palette attached to that skin. Even if this could be changed, however, there is still the simple matter of the skin missing the necessary palette, and therefore would lack the flashing and any other necessary color changing.

So, while it would be cool for people to be able to upload and play with their own skins, there are just too many important factors involved that are preventing that actuality.

Mitewing, huang17, ThomasMink and 5 others like this.
  3. Sean649

Sean649 Level 1: Goomba

oh. I see. ok, well, it was only an idea ;) so, keep your good working and please, make a map skin of metroid *_* I love this game so much! :)

sbq92 likes this.
  4. sbq92

We definitely plan to include a Metroid map skin eventually. The game is currently lacking a system that would enable us to make a Metroid map skin of optimal quality, but we certainly have plans to include one.

Mitewing likes this.
  5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"If someone posts a screenshot of a poor quality skin, it reflects poorly on both the developers of the game and on the developers of the original content, and so even then quality control is very important."

This doesn't hold up to me. You tell people that users can upload their own custom sprites. Other developers have done this and stupid skins don't reflect poorly of them, because people understand that it's a custom skin made by someone else. If somebody goes into Minecraft with a dick-head skin, and you see a screen-shot of this, would you think any less of Notch? I don't think this feature would impact anyone's reputation in any significant way.

"Related to the first issue is what happened to the game Mushroom Kingdom Fusion (MKF). MKF is a game where the fans had so much control they essentially took over the project and now many people consider the game to be a mess."

This problem is solved in the first reason. Fans would have limited control of personal content, but no control over the core content of the game. And this would be readily explained on the relevant media pages for the game.

I think the third reason is pretty legit though, I don't care about a custom skinning system but I've seen these first two reasons repeated a few times here and they don't sit well with me.

Mew likes this.
  6. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

I think what sbq92 is trying to say is that, if they implement such system, a direct import of a skin into the game won't reflect the quality if it was added officially by the team into the game. For example:
    • No music
    • No flashing
    • probably some problems with some frames
    If you want a way to preview skins and their animations, MetalRex is currently developing one. It's called MX Skin, it's currently WIP but it previews Mario/Luigi, Samus and Simon skins

7. sbq92

Yeah, the first two reasons may not be the greatest reasons, but the palette reason is definitely an important one.

I suppose people can improve their chances of having skins added to the game by constructing them well, and using MX Skin, as TiagoDu suggested, is a great way to do that. :)

Omicron and TiagoDu like this.
  8. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

And for levels, there's the Auto-Tiler. Too lazy to go find a link right now though.

9. NES Boy

NES Boy Level 3: Paratroopa

In fact, the original creator started up Super Mario Fusion Revival, which follows MKF's original concept of Mario characters world-jumping. Note how SMFR doesn't have equivalents to MKF's Mega Man, Sonic, and Nintendo franchise worlds. This reflects SMFR's downplaying of crossovers that MKF ended up emphasizing.