Request Options: Toggle "Legacy Controls"

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Sep 15, 2013.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Ever since v2.1, Simon and Ryu can use Up + Attack to use sub-weapons instead of Special, and Sophia can use Down + Attack instead of Special, like in their original games (I was one of the people who suggested this, actually). This is nice and all, but it occurs to me that perhaps these "Legacy Controls" should be an option that you can turn on and off. I find myself sometimes using sub-weapons unintentionally as Sophia in underwater levels.

huang17, Frozsoul and Mitewing like this.
  2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Yes definitely needs to be added!

3. TheomanZero

I also just thought that "Legacy Controls" should include Ryu pressing Attack on a wall to use his sub-weapon (since he can just press Special instead).
    And for the really hardcore players, perhaps there could be three settings: "On", "Off", and "Only", in which the Special button would be disabled for Simon, Ryu, and Sophia (it wouldn't make sense to do it for anyone else). This would make the game much harder because you couldn't use sub-weapons while crouching, and there are a lot more one tile-tall enemies in SMB than Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden.

Mitewing likes this.
  4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well, if you want to submit yourself to that restriction, you can do so without any ingame restricting feature.
    You just need to play without pressing the Special button. It's not like it's "hold Attack" or "↓+Attack", it's just "Forget Special", so it's quite easy to do so, especially if you're familiar with the Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden games on NES.

5. TheomanZero

Good point. Never mind then.