Request Original Health Meters

Discussion in 'Features' started by Nat, May 4, 2013.

1. MeleeShogun13

MeleeShogun13 Level 5: Spiny

Being the Mega Man nut that i am this would a fantastic idea for a cheat. I would have it enabled all the time.

2. Edwin0080

Edwin0080 Level 5: Spiny

wow this is awesome like you figured it out

3. wario46

wario46 Level 2: Koopa

If the enemies would do quite a bit of damage: Sure. I can make the damage putouts for Megaman and Bass.
    Remember: Megaman and Bass have 28 HP max at a time. Everything here is on normal mode.
    Goomba: 5 Damage.
    Green Koopa: 6 Damage.
    Red Koopa: 7 Damage.
    Green Flying Koopa: 5 Damage.
    Red Flying Koopa: 6 Damage.
    Koopa Shell: 14 Damage.
    Buzzy Beetles: 8 Damage.
    Buzzy Shell: 20 Damage.
    Pirahna Plants: 10 Damage.
    Hammer Bros Collision: 8 Damage.
    Hammer Bros Hammers: 2 Damage.
    Podoboos: 4 Damage.
    Firebars: 20 Damage.
    Bowser Collision: OHKO.
    Firebreath: 2 damage, increases by 1 per world.
    Bowser Hammers W7-4: 8 damage.
    Bowser Hammers W8-4: 16 Damage.
    Spike Tops: 27 damage.

4. Nat

Nat Level 6: Lakitu

Sorry wat

5. wario46

wario46 Level 2: Koopa

Uhh... Megaman and Bass have 28 HP. This is the damage dealt to both of them for each type of enemy.

6. Nat

Nat Level 6: Lakitu

That is an unhealthy damage meter.
    And we have difficulty settings for a reason.

7. RedXe

RedXe Level 3: Paratroopa

varying enemy damages works okay-ish if all represented characters used the megaman-specific life meters, but it'd probably just be a whole lot easier to figure numbers for contact-damage in terms of # of hits.

That way the system is a bit more universal and can work for potentially having the cheat work as displaying the appropriate health meter for each character. assuming link's 3 hearts = megaman's 28 pelles that gets about 7 hits for the lowest damage source.

8. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

But Link can get more than three hearts in his game. Up to 16, actually.

9. RedXe

RedXe Level 3: Paratroopa

and simon (in simon's quest) can get up to 24 for his physical meter but the actual health represented is about 96 pellets. And while big link isn't realized in smbc, you wanna consider his health situation he gets 8 bars with a bar being worth 16 pellets, so not even factoring in the damage reduction (from leveling up and casting shield) in that game gives him 128 health pellets.

Zomg zomg and samus, and samus totally gets what 99 at start and 100 per tank and how many energy tanks on top of that? So she's like 699 units of energy capped on her game mechanics, but there's more tanks in her game that she can hold but smbc should totally, totally, add in all the tanks to her health meter for this cheat!
    But, but, then I realized Super Metroid has even more health points right? And she's that samus as a skin here, that can totally be used for MORE energy tanks AND reserve tanks! So then like samus doesn't even need her varia upgrade to ignore firebars, she should just have so much incredible amounts of maxed health that it doesn't even matter!

-------------
    /fangasm-hyperbole

The point of my previous post isn't about the size or number of upgrades a character has; its a suggestion to try to realize a simple method for universal expression. Link could have 5000 hearts on screen and people could go through a major hassle trying to figure out the equations for exact damage representations for having 5000 hearts = 28 megaman pellets. (see wario 46's post about damage numbers)

Or the damage could just be fractions/percentages of the whole instead of exact damage values. I used the example of 3 hearts cuz its one of the smaller health-meters displayed in a game that alot of people would recognize so it keeps my suggestion simpler.

10. Scorpion42

True.

But the system doesn't have to be universal. Different characters could have different health systems. Bill, for instance, could have medals. But I guess it's not like Mega Man's Life Bar then, so that's another thread, or what?

11. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Different looking health bars and such are just for show. Everyone should be able to take equal amount of hits except Bill who would have less to reflect upon his vulnerability compared to others from normal mode where he dies from a single hit.

ThomasMink and MissingNo2 like this.
  12. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

On the subject of 1UPS, it'd be 300 or 500 coins for a 1UP ala Vs. SMB, while powerups and 1UPS would remain intact as SMB1 is not as overly-generous with lives as any SMB game past SMB3.

Mitewing likes this.
  13. Mew

Mew Level 2: Koopa

I know I'll sound silly but...

A big question comes to me regarding this request:

Why?

SMB1 is not a particularly hard game. Outside of the occasional Lakitu and Hammer Bro, the enemies in this game are not threatening enough to warrant such a feature.

Health bars work in Megaman and other such games because you are expected to be hit often. SMB1 is a game where you can go through multiple stages (especially after memorizing the levels) without getting hit even once. Even the most complex enemies in SMB1 (Lakitu and Bowser) are still relatively simplistic foes who have a low chance of hitting you. Outside of world 7 and 8, enemies are just not a threat as a whole ; almost all deaths are caused by sending your character careening into bottomless pits anyway.

Simply put, you don't need all those extra hits. The game is already easy enough that it is not required and if you absolutely need a health bar to enjoy Hard/Very Hard... why are you playing on Hard/Very Hard then?

14. Dochobin

Dochobin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Just for coolness. You can also break the game with invincibility/bouncy pits; why not break it with a life bar?

15. Squaff

Squaff Level 5: Spiny

A good megaman game is made so that you aren't expected to be hit at all. On the other hand, Mario Bros. has one stage repeated twice where you are assaulted by randomly flying fish. I have figured out the pattern for every enemy except the flying fish, because other than only allowing 3 on screen at a time, everything else is up in the air, including where they pop up. A health bar on those screens would make up for a lot of cheap deaths. Or just a fix to the stage where the fish can be maneuvered around with more tact than luck would be nice.

16. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Health mode would just be another game mode like survival. Instead of lotsa lives you have a healthbar. A simple enough concept.

17. Fanciful Dancing Star

Fanciful Dancing Star Level 1: Goomba

I'm personally all for having a health bar, and for enemies to take off different amount of healths, too. But I don't think Bowser should be a one-hit K.O. unless it's hard mode. I think the only things that should be one-hit K.O.s in normal mode should be the falling icicles, personally.

18. cobaltbw

cobaltbw Level 0: Newbie

Just make it SMB2 style, where you can have up to 4 hp and everything takes off the same amount of health. Bowser doesn't need to 1hko in hard mode, but he should probably get some sort of boost, because he's frankly the least of my worries. Trickier projectiles would probably be more helpful than greater punishment.

19. Scorpion42

Maybe there should be a knockback so you can't run straight through bowser and get the axe.

20. cobaltbw

cobaltbw Level 0: Newbie

What New Super Mario Bros. does is make it so you get knocked back by Bowser regardless of whether you're invulnerable or not; I think that would be a good solution.