Other Crossover Games

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Lighthammer, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Level 1: Goomba

I almost hate to bring this up because I know from my own experience in the industry how much of a pain in the butt it can be to juggle multiple projects while trying to keep focus on your main project, but has there ever been thought to explore another game for cross over?

My first inclination is, to keep with the current engine, it couldn't be too difficult to keep excitement up with the current cross over game by attempting to streamline Mario Brothers 2, 3 or Super Mario World into a mapless version, but what would be really sexy is seeing a crossover game with these characters in Zelda.

In the former, it seems like a fairly realistic suggestion / idea, but in the later, it sounds like a fun idea but probably not realistic.

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I think a long time ago, Jay wanted to do the same concept for other mario games, or in the games of the other characters. This doesn't seem very likely anymore though. Maybe in the future after SRS is done :o)

SRS is definitely their main focus, and it will be difficult to speculate about this until we see it's success and how much "wiggle-room" ER will have afterwords.

3. Lighthammer

I know from the site news that a lot is banking on the success of Retrosquad, so it makes every bit of sense to take and make the engine centered in and around that game every bit as powerful as possible.

As cool as seeing Zelda Crossover would be, I've recognized for a long time now the resources from Exploding Rabbit to do it just isn't there.

Considering Mario Lost Levels probably hasn't gotten much play in the US (thats the US release, not necessarily Crossover 3.0), I thought that was an interesting way to try to drive more interest for v3.0 of Mario Crossover, but after a fashion, I've always gotten the impression that the Lost Levels weren't popular in the US and though its really cool to see them in Mario Crossover, I wonder how much that's driving traffic and how popular its made v3.0. Maybe that's something ER could / should look at.

To me, what really gets people's attention is the pure nostalgia aspect of the first couple of Mario games. A lot of people have played those games a whole bunch; heck Super Mario Brothers 3 still holds the record as the top game sold in terms of units world wide. I wonder if Mario Cross Over would explode in popularity a bit (more so then it has in the past) if ER could go through Mario 3 and Mario World and pick out 4 - 8 levels in each world that have always felt mandatory but really captured the essence of that world to turn them into maps for Crossover for version 4.0 and 5.0 respectively. If done right, the levels should be able to be recycled later if Mario Crossover ever expands into a version that has an overview map.

Of course, who knows, maybe I am just looking for a way to justify not making a Mario 3 type map tool when it actually makes sense to develop one for Super Retro Squad.

4. Greymon57

Greymon57 Level 3: Paratroopa
    Patron

Who knows. Maybe in some distant future this might happen. But I can't say I'm loving the idea of a Zelda crossover. A Disney Crossover perhaps, maybe a Sega Crossover. But I don't see Zelda getting a crossover. That being said you never know. Though I would prefer if ER worked on a completely new original game after SRS. Or be like Renegade Kid and release multiple versions of their single hit onto as many platforms as possible.

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

The thing that needs to be kept in mind for a crossover is that the format of the base game has to allow for the other characters to fit in.

So if the crossover is in Zelda 1, you would probably focus on looking for other characters from top-down games, otherwise you've got a lot of custom work to do.

Greymon57 likes this.
  6. Greymon57

Greymon57 Level 3: Paratroopa
    Patron

Exactly Why I don't see a Zelda crossover. But there are many top down games, so it could be possible.

7. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

8. Lighthammer

I've actually thought about how much work would need to REALLY be done to make the adjustments for a Zelda 1 / Zelda 3 cross over.

It might not work out as cleanly as I think it might, but it might work pretty well actually taking the characters and instead of making custom top down views, simply turn the character in different directions with its side scrolling sprite.

It would essentially allow ER to take the current models in Mario Crossover import them directly into a potential Zelda Crossover.

As bad as it sounds, I feel he need to keep saying, I realize the time, money and man power constraints they are under (been there myself) so I don't necessarily see it happening soon, but I do like dreaming about the idea of it happening!

9. megamanx13

megamanx13 Level 2: Koopa

that whole thing about truth bieng a three edged sword is awesome, one thing im told all my life...you can tell someone the truth but they wont have to believe it,even if its the truth, many others have diffrent opinions and thought on what they know about the truth.

10. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

...that doesn't have anything to do with this. I wouldn't mind so much if the thread wasn't dead for a year already.

11. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

Kirby's Adventure Crossover.
    Mega Man 1 Crossover.
    Mega Man 2 Crossover.
    Mega Man I (GB) Crossover.

That's all I can come up with.

12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

we tried this at some point
    i tried programming it, back when i was shit
    i could probably do it better now

13. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

You should. It'd be awesome. Especially if Kirby is in it.