Implemented Over-the-flag Easter Egg

Discussion in 'Features' started by aliceandsven, Feb 16, 2012.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

One of the classic programming errors of the original SMB was being able to jump over the flag on a certain level. I think it would be a nice homage to recreate this by "unblocking" the sky above the flag on a certain level and letting the player go past the castle a little bit to find an easter egg, maybe a sprite of Squid the Exploding Rabbit.

2. Dinospy_01

Dinospy_01 Level 5: Spiny
    Exploding Patron

I think that's a great idea! I always love scouring games for little secrets and I think it'd be neat if Jay did this and left us to figure out which level it's on.

uglyrodent likes this.
  3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

So this is less serious suggestion and more "what if", but it would be kinda cool if each time the game loaded it was on a random level.

4. Draken

Draken Level 1: Goomba

Would be way too easy with SOPHIA III and most other characters, especially Luigi, it would only take a good timing with jumping off the platform they have, I like the idea however, having some Easter eggs in SMBC would be a nice touch. Hell it would be even nicer if after jumping over the flag pole one would find a warp zone that leads to some level designed by Jay :D

5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

lol I actually made sprites that resemble Squid once...

6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Make a pit in which you can suicide. :awesome: Reference to Soybon Action.

7. BassWins

BassWins Level 6: Lakitu

This is the best idea since....since....STUFF! Lol.

8. Anon421

Anon421 Guest

Or a short clip of Jay, while he's playing "The Endless Forest" with his wife.

9. 1337star

1337star Level 2: Koopa

When/if Lost Levels is eventually added, there'll have to be functionality for clearing the flagpole. Might as well put something there in the normal levels too.

Mitewing likes this.
  10. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I saw the title of the thread and thought this was a request to have all flagpoles in SMB:LL "opened" to jumping over them. I do think your idea of limiting it to just one is a good idea, just for something special. :)

11. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Both LL and Special have at least one level that has a secret where it's required to jump over the flag to reach it.

aliceandsven likes this.
  12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

LL has 3-1 which gives you a warp zone to World 1, and what does Special have...?
    By the way, if you're so sure that it's impossible, new readers, then check this out.

13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

ThomasMink likes this.