Pacifist Run?

Discussion in 'Game' started by Bilkins, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Bilkins

Bilkins Level 3: Paratroopa

Has anyone attempted to play through the game without killing an enemy?

It's harder than you'd think... but lots of fun! :D

2. Duckerdoo

Duckerdoo Level 5: Spiny

Very hard, considering the fact that you have to kill at least one enemy per world. Whether you blast him with attacks, or cut the bridge behind him, you still end up killing Bowser, and his impostors.

3. Bilkins

Well Bowser doesn't count, obv. :p

4. Anon1548

Anon1548 Guest

Bowser is an exception i guess.

EDIT: Bilkins said so!

5. Bilkins

Well yeah. It's gotta be at least possible.

If you wanna go all out for pacifism, you could just cut the bridge, so that you're not directly killing him, you're just causing him to fall... =3

6. Duckerdoo

What about putting koopas in their shells, but leaving the shells alone? Or stunning the enemies with Link's boomerang?

7. it depends on who I'm playing with when I do this. like Duckerdoo said about the boomberang with link. I allow that in my pacifist runs. but if I'm ryu. I'm a ninja. so i can't touch any of them at all.

8. Bilkins

I'd say yes to using the boomerang, but no to putting koopas in shells.

You can do whatever version you want, of course.

9. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I have a tip for this, which I have had to use in super hard mode. The enemies in a sense 'spawn' as the screen gets to them, so whenever you face a group of three enemies, just back up and slowly go forward a bit at a time so there will be enough space between each one so you can safely jump between them rather than on them. :)

10. Duckerdoo

Also the enemies don't respawn. So in areas like world 4-2, you can back up just past the little gap. But make sure the goombas stay on your screen. other wise, they'll pause.

11. depends on the mode you play on. when I play pacifist. I turn off the ability to walk left.. . but that's just me.

12. sbq92

Oh, good call, Kyoo. That would make it a better challenge. I forgot about that option.

13. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

It's hard to me because I'm not really pacifist, but it depends of the character. It's more easy with Link and his boomerang; Ryu, with his grabs. But it's really hard with Simon, because he's slow; and Megaman, because his jumps don't help a lot and Rush would take too much time to avoid the enemy.

14. sbq92

I often like to do the opposite of a pacifist run and kill everything. However, I should try a pacifist run. It sounds like fun.

Does the run include not getting power-ups?

BTW, in such a run, I would not be looking forward to level 7-2. That level gives me enough trouble as it is. Not killing the bloopers would make life a lot more difficult...

15. phurgawtin

phurgawtin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

flying fish committing suicide under your feet. that's my biggest complaint on this challenge.

16. yeah those 3 levels are probably the hardest to not kill anything.

17. sbq92

I suppose you could just warp past worlds 2 and 7...if warping is allowed in the "official" challenge. I guess it would all really depend on how hardcore you want to be.

18. I said 3 levels. level 8-4 has them trying to kill themselves under your feet as well., plus, i never allow myself to warp on any of my challenges but those are my rules of course. we should all play by our own rules

19. Bilkins

Basically, what I do is get through the game killing as few things as possible, and then seeing how little I killed.

My record is 7. (6 out of those 7 were suicidal Cheep-cheeps.)

20. sbq92

Oh right, three levels of flying fish. For some reason I was thinking of 2-2, 2-3, and 7-2 (water levels and bridge levels), but I suppose that still would leave out 7-3 as well. Oh well. You're right, 8-4 would be problematic as well. I guess you could just save and restart until you can finish the level without stomping a fish. :p