Playable Jason: How will he work?

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Mitewing, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

In the top-down sections in Blaster Master, Jason collects gun capsules (up to 8) to increase the range and power of his handgun. I'm not sure if this works in the sidescrolling sections. Also in the GBC reboot, Enemy Below, he can also collect grenades, Grenade Launcher and Shotgun. Should this and how could this be translated to the sidescrolling only gameplay of SMBC? And will he need another button to exit/enter Sophia? Or can a command like Up + Jump should be used?

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I'm not an expert on Blaster Master, but I'm pretty sure Jason's gun upgrades had no effect in the sidescrolling sections, and also that grenades debuted in the original.

3. Mitewing

You're right about the grenades. The launcher was only in Enemy Below. The point is should he play exactly like the sidescrolling version or should the topdown version be adapted?

4. TheomanZero

I think he should generally be based on the sidescrolling version, with elements of the topdown version added to make him less boring.

5. Mitewing

I agree but the current sprite sheet doesn't indicate that. Of course that can change with Unity.

6. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

just thought of something. in the NES top-down areas, he could also strafe if you held down the grenade button.
    should that apply to his gameplay here somehow?

7. Mitewing

I don't see how strafing is possible on a 2d sidescrolling format. Any ideas? The main concern is weapons.

8. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Like, walking backwards? So when you hold down a button, you can go the other way, but he won't turn around? So you can shoot back towards an enemy.

I think we should only use the top-down elements if he becomes his own character.

9. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

The closest thing I could think of that would be like playing as Jason would be to just have all his own custom Blaster Master style 3D stages whenever you enter a pipe as just Jason, all laid out for each level pipe with their own style and hidden stuff and whatever else is in that game, I barely played the first level.

10. Tsukiyomaru0

Tsukiyomaru0 Level 3: Paratroopa

The same way Backdash in metroidvania games can be used to avoid an attack without changing directions? As for weapons... Perhaps have:
    Normal: just straight shot.
    Mushroom: Straight + two arching seeker
    Fireflower: Waving that "rips" through ANYTHING

11. TheomanZero

That's the old power-up system. It was changed for 2.0.

Scorpion42 and Mitewing like this.
  12. Mitewing

The back dashing and strafing are similar but not the same thing. I don't think back dashing should be added. The main thing that should be considered to add from the dungeon areas are the weapons, IMO.

TheomanZero likes this.
  13. TheomanZero

Agreed. Jason with just his regular gun would be boring.

Mitewing likes this.