Possible to improve smoothness?

Discussion in 'Game' started by Frozsoul, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

In appreciating how much SMBC has grown since it was first released, I went back to playing the original 1.0 version of SMBC (still available on Newgrounds), and I couldn't help but notice how much smoother gameplay was in the original version, even though it used mp3 music. I was wondering, is it possible to eventually improve the smoothness of SMBC like it is in 1.0, or is it no longer possible due to the switch to emulated music?
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Maybe when Flash updates? Which is supposedly soon?
  3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Playing with SNES music will be less smooth, and everything in general will be less smooth until Adobe releases this update that improves music performance or something.
  4. Seacigar

Seacigar Level 0: Newbie

Yeah... That's my main problem, actually: the Water levels are nigh-unplayable... though for the sake of the consideration of others who have probably dealt this this before (including the inevitable "make a downloadable" request)... I will do what I can regarding tweaking this system and the game options to make it playable.

I do have to wonder, however... As the game becomes more and more complex, is is possible that the game will run slower and slower? I don't claim to be a programming expert, but isn't that why loading checkpoints (such as between levels, areas, buildings, etc.) are still prominent? In order to keep the game running at a smooth clip by flushing out unused data? Flash is of course a different beast from standard "game engines" so such an option might not be viable.

The "downloadable" request was my reason for logging on, and naturally I felt insulted by the general hatred generated towards anyone who mentioned it... But reading the reasons, I understand the situation, respect the decisions, and generally follow the necessity behind keeping it online.

I will keep hoping for a solution, however. Accepting a problem isn't the same as becoming complacent and thinking no problem exists. Of course, like I said earlier, I'll tweak my systems first and see if the solution can't be found on my end.

Now that that Baggage is more or less clear, I want to offer my Humble gratitude for such an amazing game concept, and a superior effort on seeing it completed, and continuing to improve it to the point of considered perfection (whether Nintendo has a fit over it or not... actually... would they have a fit that you are making money off it at all, even if its merely through online support measures?... probably not best to open that can of worms right now... besides, if I thought of it, there's probably already a thread on the forum about it that I haven't spotted yet.)

The game is... well, more or less a dream game, that I either thought would never exist, or that I would have to make myself (damn you for beating me to it by the way ;-) ) In order to see. *shrugs* maybe I'll still get the opportunity one day to make a "sequel" (the only improvement immediately is doing levels from later Mario games, and including added gimmicks to characters to match the increased mobility Mario had later).

So yeah... Wall of text from "my two cents" aside, thank you for what is probably my favorite flash game thus far, and Here's hoping one of us can find a way to make the game run smooth as silk.
  5. TheomanZero

As far as I know, the SNES music is the only real bottleneck here, and none of the other new features (or planned ones) are slowing the game down. Right?
  6. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"I felt insulted by the general hatred generated towards anyone who mentioned it... But reading the reasons, I understand the situation, respect the decisions, and generally follow the necessity behind keeping it online."

I'm sorry about this. The question has been asked since this game first existed and some of our folks get easily irritated with it constantly coming up. The thing is all the information people could ever need about this topic is available and we try our best to put it in front of people for their own sake. We want people to put a little effort in to search the forum or check out these resources so they don't wind up making another thread about it and getting flamed by someone having a bad day. No matter what we say or encourage about respecting each other there always seems to be someone there ready to jump down your throat. Don't take it personally, please.

I'm glad you like SMBC and for everyone's sake I hope Adobe hurries up with their Flash update!
    Rey D, Seacigar, Faruga and 1 other person like this.
  7. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

I noticed since 1.2 that SMBC runs on 30 fps, even when there is CPU power available. Does it have a cap for 30? It seems really odd that way.
  8. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod

*tries to think of a way to send this to Tsukiyomaru0 who now thinks I'm a troll because of him asking for downloading SMBC*
    Omicron likes this.
  9. Frozsoul

How can you tell the frame rate?
  10. Omicron

I see a frame rate when i look at one.

...Seriously though, there's a clear distinction between 60 and 30.
  11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod

12. Omicron

I can see the difference between 30i and 60. When the character raises the right leg in the middle of the animation it is even more evident. I have used that interpolation technique to be able to use less frames in a huge sprite animation i was making for someone, and it ended up looking better than if i had used more frames. Interesting video.
  13. TheomanZero

If SMBC could run at 60FPS that would be wonderful. I don't know if we have to wait for a Flash update for that too or what.
  14. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Yeah, even my system, as nice as it is, bottlenecks on the SNES music. Flash update should help, when it comes. I noticed it more when using SNES graphics and sounds, that just the sounds alone. But that would, again, be my system doing it's best.
  15. Seacigar

Just a quick side addition from me: Yeah, playing the game avoiding SNES graphics and sounds has worked wonders for me, though it will probably take some serious effort to see the game at 60 FPS: No worries, I'm not *that* spoiled.

The community on this forum seems all around helpful and considerate, so no concerns there.

And lastly... Considering well developed titles of around this size and quality are usually "purchased" via downloadable content at around 10$ to 20$... and considering I think the game is pretty amazing... I will see to donating at least 20$ once funds open up (could go on a spiel about why I can't do it now, but I doubt that's necessary). If I'm lucky, I'll be able to donate more, seeing this game as worth about top DL content on Xbox live or PS network... 30$ for the best games that aren't simply digitizations of pre-existing games on disk.

...here's hoping the hard work on this game gets properly rewarded... by me soon, and by other players soon enough after.

That *should* be all from this noob, unless circumstances conspire to make me try to contribute to the game's improvement. (Unlikely beyond design ideas or graphics: my programming skillz bite.) Cheers!
  16. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

The game's frame rate is set at 60fps.

Adobe is working on an update that improves the speed of C++ code, which is what is used to play music.

Also, playing on SNES graphics won't slow down the game. Only music.
    Rey D, jmicdizz and TheomanZero like this.
  17. Seacigar

Its entirely possible that its an oddity with my own computer... or I should say computers; our family has a set of semi-old PCs (made 2010, and generic home PCs without upgrades for gaming), but it definitely slows when using SNES graphics for us: It is, however, minimal in most cases. The worst time to be using it is in underwater levels (which I've already read others having issues with)... and that's probably due to the animated scaling background layer (the "rippling" water basically).

Regardless, I'm not apt to argue with you on your own game :> .... odds are most likely I'm missing something (though I already tried muting sound and shutting down as many other progs, sites, and functions as I could).

I'll certainly be looking forward to that flash update though:D... you've put quite of wealth of music in... and it adds to the mix and match flavor quite a bit.
  18. Frozsoul

Just wanted to comment that I've noticed a marked improvement in fluidity while playing with SNES musics thanks to the latest Flash update. Awesome!
    Rey D likes this.
  19. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

What update?
  20. Frozsoul

Adobe released an update to their Flash program