(Pre-Super) Mario Bros Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by silentshadowxp, Feb 12, 2012.

1. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

These are some skins I did based on Mario games before Super Mario Bros. The games I used were Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Donkey Kong 3, Mario Bros, and Wrecking Crew. Essentially the arcade Mario games.

Map Skin:
    DK Map.png

Theme Skins:
    DK Themes.png
    (All of these have black background)

Enemy Skins:
    DK Enemies.png

If anyone has some character skins they'd like to add then go ahead and post them.

2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I love this! I've been wanting a skin like this. One suggestion, I would use more things for scenery from other games like Mario Bros, Wrecking Crew and DK 3 (although not a Mario game) to give it some variety. One example is to use the pipes from Mario Bros as they look a little different than SMB. Great job!

3. silentshadowxp

I was considering that before, but I really liked the blue pipes lol. I could definitely give it a try though. What do you guys think of adding things in place of the trees and bushes? Should I find stuff to decorate the game with or just leave it as is for the plain black background with no decoration whatsoever?

4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Donkey Kong Mario Bros.png

Mitewing likes this.
  5. Nat

Nat Level 6: Lakitu

Hmm...
    This gave me the idea of a stanley skin for samus.

6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

But how will you do the side-shoot/Screw Attack/morph ball sprites?
    (yeah, I haven't played DK3 in ages)

7. Nat

Nat Level 6: Lakitu

The first two can be done with custom sprites but the morph-ball,.......................
    Maybe rolling sprites?

8. Mitewing

I recommend using the plants from DK Jr and DK 3 for outside for a jungle look. Maybe wrecking crew and Mario Bros for underground and castle. Just mix everything up. There's also DK Jr Math for other sprites. I would use the SMB sky for day levels still. Also change the Spike Top to Fire from Donkey Kong (They have two versions) because an Icicle should be hurt by a fireball. And change what DK throws to barrels. Because that's what he famous for.

9. silentshadowxp

I'll get to working on V2 of these skins in the next day or two.

Mitewing likes this.
  10. Mitewing

Great! Are you getting your sprites from other sites or are you also viewing screenshots from the games?

11. silentshadowxp

Both lol. I was looking at wrecking crew last night, and I'm wondering how many people would actually recognize stuff from that game lol. I was thinking about putting a couple things you have to tear down in that game in the background, but I'm not sure. I might make the underground based on it though, so that there isn't two of those skins that are the same.

Mitewing likes this.
  12. Mitewing

I'm not sure who would recognize it but since DK takes place on a construction site, those sprites would go with the theme. There are also other enemies in Wrecking Crew and DK 3 you may want to consider. The DK 3 sprites would make any Jungle themed area more believable (although it takes place in a greenhouse, they look like exotic plants). Here's how I envisioned the themes would include. Construction areas (DK, DK Jr, Wrecking Crew, Mario Bros), Jungle area (DK Jr, DK 3), and Sewer area (Mario Bros, Wrecking Crew). These five games have a lot of sprites when you put them together, so mixing them up to make certain themes would make each one unique and interesting and act like a History of Mario Skin.

Edit: Here's a really cool, customer Mario sheet I found. Unfortunately, it doesn't include DK 3 or Wrecking Crew.

http://spriters-resource.com/custom_edited/mario/sheet/33654

13. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I don't know if you already say, but I made this one a while back last year.

[​IMG]

Mitewing likes this.
  14. silentshadowxp

I've already got majority of those in the skins. As for the flower (third down on the left), that's not actually even an enemy, that's the flowers that the main character from DK3 (stanley?) is trying to protect. :p I am adding it to the scenery though in my updated version that I'm still in the process of finishing up.

Edit: v2 is up! And I'm going to stick to my guns with the black background.

As far as how the skins work, 1-1 style levels, 2-2 style levels, and castle levels are all based on the 3 DK themes you see above, all underground levels are based on Wrecking Crew, all of the 1-3 style levels are based on DK Jr, and all of the 2-3 style levels are based on Mario Bros (assuming the theme sheet works the way it's supposed to).

And I'm sticking to my guns on suggesting the background to be black for all levels, because the background was always black in all of these arcade games.

15. Mitewing

Looking good silentshadowxp. I like how you've added the Wrecking Crew stuff. I know the black background was what was in all of these games, but I wouldn't be opposed to some daytime levels. Chozoboy, I remember your skins now, and also really liked your enemy choices. The two of you should collaborate on this. I really wish I had the time to add to it. I have a lot of ideas regarding the themes in my head. Here's what's in my head.

The daytime overworld would be construction area. The underground would be sewers. The treetop worlds would be jungles. However the other worlds could be a combination of elements from other worlds. Not sure what the castles could be.

16. silentshadowxp

It pretty much is this, except cheep cheep bridges are the sewers. Thing about Mario Bros sprites in these skins though is that they were mostly used in the world skin rather than the theme skins, because it's sprites made more sense being used in that way. For instance, the ground looks just like SMB bricks, and as such I used them in that way. I can't make a level with those on the ground as well, because then the ground would look breakable. Not a problem in SMB, but it would be one in Crossover. That's why the platforms from Mario Bros are used as the bridge sprites, to have them be the Mario Bros levels.

Mitewing likes this.
  17. Mitewing

You're right about Mario Bros being the map skin as it's very similar to SMB. And you're right about the castles being mostly DK based. What enemies replace the cheep cheeps by the way? I can't tell cuz I'm on a phone. I originally thought the bridges could be jungle as well, but your idea could work too. I recommend going to Mariowiki.com to view each level of the DK games, especially DK Jr and 3. If I can I'll post pics or try to use MSpaint to explain my ideas further. I'm really loving what you have so far.

18. silentshadowxp

I actually went to nintendo8.com to play the games first hand to see what I thought would work best. ;) As much as I use Mario Wiki, the flash ads on the site always freeze up my web browser (I'm using Google Chrome, so maybe it just doesn't like Chrome). I have a huge catalogue of bookmarks from that site though on stuff that I plan to do skins of. :p

As for the Cheep Cheeps, they're sidesteppers (crabs) on their side. I thought it looked cute and used them since they're underwater creatures, whereas bug and bird enemies from the other games wouldn't make sense down there.

Mitewing likes this.
  19. Mitewing

Sidesteppers are aquatic and make sense if they're jumping out of water. There's another site I've referenced for Mario sprites. I'll look for it when I get a chance.

EDIT: http://www.mariouniverse.com/maps

silentshadowxp likes this.
  20. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I'm glad you were able to implement some of my ideas. (Or at least draw from them.)

I really like some of your choices such as the Key and the use of the prequel objects that SMB drew from for its gameplay such as the spring, pulleys, and warp pipes. Instead of using the DK cage as a cannon, (maybe use the DK3 bug jar?) you should have the cage be the "castle" (and keep the WC door). Maybe even pile them, but either way it would help to tie in with the boss. I can't tell where your water came from, but DK Jr. has some water sprites.

Wish there was a place to use the Sand Pile, too. Maybe you can come up with something? I don't know if you already have, but the Jr. vines could be considered for SMB's. Good job on picking out a better Hammer for Foreman than I did. I hadn't played it yet when I made that. (Whoo! Ambassador program!)