Programing languages/engines

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by iic400jh, Jan 12, 2015.

1. iic400jh

iic400jh Level 0: Newbie

Hi, I have been thinking about learning a new language to get back into the long time abandoned hobby of game making like I used to(thanks to SMBC). I was starting to learn AS3, but then I thought I saw a mention from Jay somewhere on here mentioning something about Haxe. I looked into it and it seems very interesting. The problem is, I have been testing out a tone of games made in AS3 and Haxe and have yet to see anything halfway decent.

The reason I ask here is because when I play Crossover, everything about the game feels soo smooth and nostalgic to the SNES days. But when I play something from Haxe or AS3, I cannot find anything half of what Crossover feels like. I know Crossover was made in CS6 which using AS3. If I use Haxeflixel or Haxepunk, could I make a decent sized game that runs that smooth? Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on this? I want to try to avoid Unity, although I have no problem learning Python. I think I am shooting for Haxe because I like the option of everything being easily capable of running on any system.

Any thoughts? I have been googling this forever but the prob is I have yet to see anything that feels as smooth and awesome as SMBC. I thought I read somewhere that Jay found interest in Haxe and it got me very curious.

Also, Jay, if you read this, are you giving Unity another shot or have you moved on from that? You have given me alot of inspiration to get back into programming and that is why I ask this here.

Faruga likes this.
  2. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It would appear to me that he's using Unity for Mini-SAS. It's possible that Haxe doesn't have as good 3D support, but I haven't used either of them.
    If you can't find any good games in Haxe, you should see if you can't make one yourself.

3. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I would definitely not recommend AS3. At this point, it looks like it's a dead language. I don't expect Adobe to support it any more, and it also limits you to Flash, which has been on its way out for a while now.

Haxe can do pretty much everything AS3 can do and more. I worked with it for about 4 months and had a great time. I think it's a good choice to use for a game since it compiles to a lot of platforms and is a well-designed language. I think the main risk with it is that it's not that popular of a language. Only a few big companies, like Tivo, use it. It will be interesting to see what happens with it in the future.
    I would think so. I didn't try out those frameworks specifically, but if a lot of people use them, I would assume they're good? The haxe language isn't going to limit your performance. It mostly depends on how you use it and what platforms you're targeting.
    Unity has nothing to do with Python, so I'm not understanding this sentence. Unity games are developed with C#, which is also a great language.
    We switched back to Unity for a lot of reasons. We have a podcast that will be coming out shortly that will go into more details about our specific situation and why we decided to go back to it. To sum up my thoughts though, if you use a game engine like Unity, you can build things faster if you do it their way. It can be limiting, but the advantages in saving time are very valuable for a small team like Exploding Rabbit.

I don't think you should be so worried about performance. You should be thinking more about what tools will be the most efficient for development of your game and which tools you enjoy using.

BBQTurkeyzZ, Jessy, Faruga and 2 others like this.
  4. iic400jh

iic400jh Level 0: Newbie

That was more helpful than you know. Thank you Jay. I think I will try out Haxe unless I see some improvements to the 2d side of Unity in the near future. Can't wait to see what you will release next.

Faruga and Jay like this.