Request Proposed improvement to character selection

Discussion in 'Features' started by Frozsoul, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

As everyone knows, the character selection process had some fairly significant changes introduced in version 3.0, which I think for the most part moved things in the right direction. However, I still think version 2.1.11 had some nice features which are not present in 3.0:
    1. The ability to start a game quickly as a particular character skin without having to re-select the skin every time
    2. The ability to have a particular skin show on the character select screen as selectable without having to first die or complete a level as that skin
    3. The ability to cycle character or map skins with the press of a button, which was arguably more efficient
    I think it would be great if a future update of SMBC incorporated the best features of the character select screens from both 2.1.11 and 3.0 as follows:

At the character selection:
    • Pressing the Jump button would start with the selected character and map skin (as in 2.1.11)
    • Pressing the Attack button would cycle through the skins for your character (as in 2.1.11) If the character skin has any special features (e.g. Quick Man) the skin's message will display at the bottom of the screen when that skin is displayed (as in 3.0)
    • Pressing the Special button would cycle through the map skins (as in 2.1.11)
    • Pressing the Select button would bring up the character's skin selection (similar to pressing the Jump button at this point in 3.0)
    At the character skin selection:
    • Pressing the Jump button would start with the selected character and map skin (as in 3.0)
    • Pressing the Attack button would move the cursor to the next character icon (new)
    • Pressing the Special button would cycle through the map skins (as in 2.1.11)
    • Pressing the Select button would bring you back to character selection (similar to pressing the Attack button at this point in 3.0) except the character skin you had your cursor on is now displayed
    In both selections, the Pause button would continue to toggle background music.

If Tutorials are enabled, a brief message box would appear at the centre of the screen before you can select a character explaining what each button does at the character select screen.

huang17 and Mitewing like this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

With so much skins, do you really believe cycling through all of them is an efficient way to select them ? At that point it seems like it would be only bringing back some trouble, especially with the less intuitive method you suggest.

Though I'm curious about what you mean by: "The ability to have a particular skin show on the character select screen as selectable without having to first die or complete a level as that skin"

3. Frozsoul

I did say it was arguably more efficient. It certainly would be a bit more efficient in some cases. For example, to switch from 8-bit SMB Mario to 16-bit SMB2 Mario currently takes four button presses (Jump, Right, Right, Right) while in my proposal above it would only take three button presses with cycling (Attack, Attack, Attack).

Also, I don't understand why you say it would be "bringing back some trouble". I'm not suggesting to discard the current character select method in 3.0, only to enhance it by also allowing the alternative method from 2.1.11 as well. If you mean that it will cause confusion, that's why I suggested having a brief message box display before selecting your character when tutorials are enabled (which I think is a good idea regardless of my proposal) If that's still unacceptable, perhaps cycling of skins could be enabled as a menu option, or just ignored altogether. I admit that cycling becomes less useful as more skins are added but I really don't see the harm in having more choice.

In 2.1.11 if you wanted to change the skin displayed for a character on the main character select screen, you simply cycled to it by pressing the Attack button. In 3.0 the only way to change the skin displayed on the main character select screen is to select that skin, start the level, and then either die or complete a level. Of course in 3.0 having a particular character skin display on the main character select screen is a bit moot since you're forced to re-select the skin each time you start the level; which was the main motivation for my proposal above.

Mitewing and Rey D like this.
  4. Rey D

Patron

Understandable.

The current skin selection sytem is more intuitive and thefore should stay as the main mean of skin selection.
    I suppose an option to switch the skin selection system to cycling would be ideal.

5. Frozsoul

Hmm, I might have been unclear. I'm not advocating an option to switch between the 3.0 and 2.1.11 style of selecting characters. I'm recognizing that in 3.0 the buttons that were used to cycle skins in 2.1.11 are now largely unused. I would prefer to make use of those buttons instead by allowing cycling which in some cases can be more efficient. The option to enable cycling above was meant to be in addition to the current character select method in 3.0, not in place of it.

Mitewing likes this.
  6. Rey D

Patron

I see.

Although I still stand for intuitivity in the selection, your idea is justified and I would roll with it if it's approved by Blaine.

Frozsoul likes this.
  7. 8bitwizard

8bitwizard Level 5: Spiny

why not just press z if you're happy with the skin you have,
    and press x to open the skin menu
    say you selected a skin you are going to use for a while well in that case you could just highlight the character and press z BOOM no more selecting the same skin.
    but if you want to change the skin, you could highlight the character of choice and press x to bring up the skin menu.

huang17 and Frozsoul like this.
  8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Yes! Just adding back the cycle button while keeping the current character selection method would solve this problem. I hate not having my particular group of skins I like to play with not being on the main select screen anymore.

Frozsoul likes this.
  9. Frozsoul

I think this is essentially my idea, except without the cycling. Which would still be a big improvement in my opinion.

10. Frozsoul

Agreed...but it wouldn't on its own solve the problem of having to constantly re-select the same skin every time you start a level, which almost makes favourite skins on the main select screen a moot point. I think my original proposal would cover all bases.

Total aside: Am I the only one who still has fondness of the original 1.x character select screen? :)

11. Frozsoul

The current version of SMBC adds a great new feature where if you press the Jump button on a character, choose a different skin, and then press the Attack button (to cancel back to character selection) it now replaces the skin displayed on the character select screen with the skin you had considered. As everyone knows, pressing either the Special or Select buttons from the main character select screen currently proceed with a randomly chosen skin. However, since we now have the ability to change the skin that currently displays on the character select screen, I think one of these buttons should instead proceed with the skin currently displayed. This would allow a nice shortcut to choosing a particular skin.

Faruga and Alkerion like this.
  12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

13. Frozsoul

Heh, I guess this wasn't widely publicized, though the version history for 3.1.2 did mention it:

Faruga and ThomasMink like this.